Australia, The House of Reps. Dr Mi

Subject: Australia, The House of Reps. Dr Michael Aris

Free Burma Coalition, Australia

Ms Ellis, (ALP)	29th March 1999		Page 1

Hansard Chamber Green

Start speech>>

Aris, Dr Michael

Ms Ellis (Canberra) - Today I want to speak of the sorrow at the news of
the death of Dr Michael Aris, the husband of Burma's democracy leader, Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi.  The attitude of the military government of Burma in
refusing a visa to Dr Aris in his last months of life is to be deplored,
and our sympathy and thoughts are with Aung San Suu Kyi, her family and her
followers in Burma.

Aung San Suu Kyi has made and continues to make a contribution to her
people that has already brought acknowledgment with a Nobel Peace Prize.
 The arrogance of the Burmese military Government in offering her a visa to
visit Dr Aris and still expecting he to believe that they would allow her
back into Burma is extraordinary.

Dr Aris, a senior research fellow at Oxford University, campaigned
tirelessly for Burmese democracy.  In the final months of his life, he r
epeatedly attempted to gain a visa to visit his wife in Burma but his wish
was frustrated by the military government stalling.  Dr Aris had seen his
wife on only five brief occasions in the last ten years, the last being in
Rangoon for Christmas in 1995.  Appeals by several countries, prominent
individuals and organisations were made to the Burmese authorities, but ot
no avail.  The United States, the UN Secretary General, Koffi Annan and the
Pope were among them, but none were successful.

Rightfully and understandably, our eyes and the eyes of the world are
currently on Europe, but we should not forget the continuing struggle - at
all levels of the community - that goes on in Burma.  The death of Dr Aris
and the situation facing Aung San Suu Kyi yet again display that struggle.
 (time expired)

<<end speech>>