US slams 'callous' Burmese Governme

Subject: US slams 'callous' Burmese Government

Sunday, March 28, 1999 Published at 00:16 GMT

World: Asia-Pacific

US slams 'callous' Burmese Government

The US has sharply criticised the Burmese military government for their
refusal to grant a visa to the cancer-stricken husband of the Burmese
opposition leader, Aung San Suu Kyi.
Michael Aris died at a hospital in Oxforshire on Saturday on his 53rd
birthday.

Matt Frei reports: "This is no ordinary tragedy"

He was diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer several months ago and had
since been in unsuccessful negotiations with Burma's military government to
visit his wife before he died.

The US led Western criticism of the Burmese Government's refusal to allow a
last reunion in Burma. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright said: "The
authorities' callous disregard of the most basic humanitarian principles is
emblematic of the continuing repression [in Burma]."

Ms Albright also paid tribute to Dr Aris. "[He] has sacrificed the
companionship of his beloved wife for 10 years so that she could stand with
her people in Burma to struggle for human rights and democracy," she said in
a statement.

Dr Aris - a senior research fellow of Tibetan and Himalayan studies at St
Antony's College, Oxford University - last saw his wife three-years ago.

Ms Suu Kyi, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1991, released a brief
statement through diplomats after learning of her husband's death.

"On behalf of my sons, Alexander and Kim, as well as on my own behalf, I
want to thank all those around the world who have supported my husband
during his illness and have given me and my family love and sympathy," the
statement said.

Ms Suu Kyi was with friends and diplomats when she learned of her husband's
death.

Visas denied

The couple married in 1972 after they met while she was a student at Oxford.
She agreed to wed Dr Aris on the provision that he would understand that she
must return to Burma, if her people needed her.

The BBC's Simon Ingram: "The Burmese authorities came under pressure to show
clemency"

In 1988 she returned to Burma to nurse her dying mother. During her visit a
nationwide uprising against military rule erupted and she emerged as the
movement's leader.

After her return, the Burmese authorities stalled and repeatedly denied Mr
Aris's visa requests, insisting that Ms Suu Kyi "who is in perfect health"
should travel to see him.

On Friday she received an offer by the Burmese authorities allowing her to
visit her husband in the UK and return to Burma, but refused because of
fears that she would not be readmitted.

'Pawn of Western imperialism'

Ms Suu Kyi, whose father, General Aung San, led Burma to independence, is
the leader of the country's main opposition party, the National League for
Democracy.

Although the NLD overwhelmingly won the 1990 general elections, the
country's military leaders have ignored the results.

Ms Suu Kyi remains the military government's major political opponent,
despite spending almost six years under house arrest. She was released in
1995.

The military authorities have often accused her of being a pawn of Western
imperialism because of her marriage to a British citizen.