Statement of Women Rights & Welfare

Statement of Women Rights and Welfare Association of Burma (WRWAB)

We are with the family of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi

We are very saddened and shocked to hear of the death of Mr. Michael Aris
on his 53rd birthday today in an Oxford hospital in Britain. At this
moment of tragedy and sorrow, we would like to express our wholehearted
solidarity and togetherness with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, and her sons,
Alexander and Kim.

 We also express our love, respect and pride for Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
whose love and commitment for the country and the people are extraordinary
example for all of us who are struggling for restoration of democracy and
human rights in Burma.

We strongly and unequivocally condemn the ruling Burmese military regime,
which had stalled on a visa application of Mr. Aris who wanted to pay a
farewell visit to his wife in Burma. The military junta had also denied
his previous requests for visa since after January 1996. Their action to
have had denied visa to ailing Mr. Aris was inhuman.

We wish and pray Mr. Michael Aris, who had always given understanding and
support to Daw Aung San Suu Kyi in her lead to the democratic movement in
Burma, to rest in peace. And we send our best wishes for the well being of
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, Alexander and Kim.

Women Rights and Welfare Association of Burma
New Delhi
March 27, 1999