Press Statement by James B. Foley,

Subject: Press Statement by James B. Foley, Deputy Spokesman

     Press Statement by James B. Foley, Deputy Spokesman
     March 18, 1999

                                Burma--Visa for Dr. Michael Aris

     We understand that Dr. Michael Aris, the husband of Nobel Laureate Aung
San Suu Kyi, is seriously ill.
     This is a tragic development for Dr. Aris, Aung San Suu Kyi and their
family. They have made tremendous
     personal sacrifices over the past decade in supporting Aung San Suu
Kyi's efforts to bring about
     democracy and respect for human rights in Burma.

     We understand that Burmese authorities have to date not granted Dr.
Aris a visa to visit Aung San Suu Kyi.
     We urge the Burmese authorities to make a humanitarian gesture and
permit Dr. Aris to visit his wife before
     his illness worsens.

     We have worked closely with concerned governments, and through the
United Nations, to impress upon the
     regime in Burma the importance of responding positively and urgently to
this humanitarian situation. Denying
     Dr. Aris a visa to visit his wife, particularly under these tragic
circumstances, demonstrates a complete lack
     of compassion. We will continue our efforts to convince the regime to
act appropriately and issue the visa.

     [end of document]