New Election

"New Election"
Press Release by the spokesman of the Central Organizing
Committee of the Communist Party of Burma.

Dated: March 8, 1999

Although this is an issue for the parties in the legal fold to cogitate,we
think we should express our views on this issue.

It is quite obvious that the military clique is extremely willing to approve
the so-called new election. We also heard some favorable remarks made by some
circles close to the imperialist powers. Perhaps they intend to draw the
military clique into their orbit.

If we accepted the so-called new election, it will mean that:

(1) We voluntarily dismiss the results of the 1990 election.
(2) We are fulfilling the wishes of military clique by bringing their
      "constitution" into life.
(3) We are acting hand gloves with the military clique in hook winking
                the people by letting them lost among the labyrinth of
election.

Our principled stand of this issue is:

(1) We do not agree to their idea of "new election ".
(2) The only action we should take is to put pressure upon the military
      clique to observe the results of 1990 election.
(3) By-elections must be held to fill the seats that have been vacant due to
      various reasons.