NLD Statement 36 in English

National League for Democracy
NO (97/B), West Shwegondine Road
Bahan, Rangoon

Statement No: 36(2/99)

Contents of letter dated 22 February 1999 from the Chairman, National
League for Democracy to the Chairman of the Chairman of the State Peace
and Development Council is reproduced and published for the information
of all.

START

" Subject- Protest against the acquisition of land by force:-

1. The authorities have plans to acquire by force approximately 6300
acres of land in the villages of Pay-gyi,  Kha-ohn-bar, Nge-pyaw-taing,
Phoke-kone, Htauk-sha-ain in Kant-ba-lu township, Sagaing Division
supposedly for the construction of the Mandalay-Myitkyina highway. The
villagers concerned are deeply disturbed and have objected by letters
and posters.

2. 	Information received is that Lt.Col Than Han (Chairman of District
Administrative body) has five times visited the area and threatened the
people to get them to put their signatures to land sale agreements. He
even claimed that the land would be acquired  with or without their
signatures to sale agreements and resold to private entrepreneurs. Those
who sought to discuss the matter further are being detained at the
police station.

3. 	The above action which will deprive a large group of cultivators of
a means of livelihood is deplorable and we register our objection to
it."

									END

Central Executive Committee
National League for Democracy