NEWS - Foreign Nations Question Sup (r)

Subject: RE: NEWS - Foreign Nations Question Support for Myanmar's Opium B attle

       According a Washington Post story in mid-February in a "dramatic
shift' Colombia seems to have replaced Burma as the major heroin
supplier to the US. Colombia was the source of 75% of the heroin seized
recently in the US and  a combination of low price and high quality has
increased the number of heroin users from 600,000 to 810,000 in the past
three years . US-supplied airplanes and helicopters are now spraying
poppy fields .in Colombia and the US gives Colombia $289million annually
in anti-drug aid.
     Comment: With the US focussing on Colombia( and failing to attend
the Interpol meetin in Rangoon) it makes sense for Thailand and Burma to
take matters into their own hands and  sign a cooperation agreement on
narcotics suppression. The inability to compete effectively with
Colombia  in  the USmarket may account for the rise in amphetamine
production in the Golden Triangle with nearby Thailand as the best
market. As in Colombia the problem for Thailand and Burma will be how to
finance programs to help local farmers to grow alternative crops.
Hopefully the UN can help.