US/Drugs/Burma

Presidential Determination: Drug Certification
U.S. Newswire
26 Feb 17:38
Presidential Determination: Certification for Major Illicit Drug Producing
and Drug Transit Countries
To: National Desk
Contact: White House Press Office, 202-456-2100

WASHINGTON, Feb. 26 /U.S. Newswire/ -- The following was
released today by the White House:

February 26, 1999

Presidential Determination
No. 99-15

MEMORANDUM FOR THE SECRETARY OF STATE
SUBJECT: Certification for Major Illicit Drug Producing
and Drug Transit Countries

By virtue of the authority vested in me by section 490(b)(1)(A) of
the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961, as amended ("the Act"), I hereby
determine and certify that the following major illicit drug producing
and/or major illicit drug transit countries/dependent territories
have cooperated fully with the United States, or have taken adequate
steps on their own, to achieve full compliance with the goals and
objectives of the 1988 United Nations Convention Against Illicit
Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances:

Aruba, The Bahamas, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Colombia,
Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Guatemala, Hong Kong, India,
Jamaica, Laos, Mexico, Pakistan, Panama, Peru, Taiwan, Thailand,
Venezuela, and Vietnam.

By virtue of the authority vested in me by section 490(b)(1)(B) of
the Act, I hereby determine that it is in the vital national
interests of the United States to certify the following major illicit
drug producing and/or major illicit drug transit countries:

Cambodia, Haiti, Nigeria, and Paraguay.

Analysis of the relevant U.S. vital national interests, as
required under section 490(b)(3) of the Act, is attached.

I have determined that the following major illicit drug producing
and/or major illicit drug transit countries do not meet the standards
set forth in section 490(b) for certification:

Afghanistan, Burma.

In making these determinations, I have considered the factors set
forth in section 490 of the Act. Given that the performance of each
of these countries/dependent territories has differed, I have
attached an explanatory statement for each of the countries/dependent
territories subject to this determination.

You are hereby authorized and directed to report this
determination to the Congress immediately and to publish it
in the Federal Register.

WILLIAM J. CLINTON