FW: Amnesty International / Sponsor

business in Burma)
To: burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx

Free Burma Coalition, Australia

Dear Colleagues,

Please see below a letter to Amnesty International.  If we can receive
support internationally for this campaign Amnesty may have no choice but to
cease their business relationship with Interpid Travel.  Please do whatever
you can to lend your support.

Yours, Amanda Zappia

Ms Kate Gilmore
National Director
Amnesty International, Australia
Private Bag 23
Broadway NSW 2770

4th March 1999

Dear Ms Gilmore,

It is with much concern the Australia Burma Council (ABC) notes that
Amnesty International, Australia is receiving financial assistance from
Intrepid Travel.  The tour company sells tours in Burma against the wishes
of the National League for Democracy (NLD), led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.
We have, for many years, lobbied the company attempting to have them cease
their Burma operation to no avail.

The military sponsored tourist industry in Burma has been responsible for
many violations and human rights abuses against people directly and
indirectly involved.  There has been an increase in slave labor, for the
purpose of upgrading access to tourist destinations, the abuse of workers,
as salaries paid do not provide a subsistence wage and has provided much
sought after credibility and recognition to the brutal dictatorship in the
country.  The NLD has asked that tourists stay away from the country until
democracy has been restored and it is possible to ensure that the industry
is run with integrity and without prejudice.  There are members of the
non-Burman ethnic states who are put on show like animals in a zoo.

While the ABC understands the explicit mandate of Amnesty International is
to work entirely for prisoners of conscience and you never cross that line,
we are also aware that one of your most famous and internationally
influential cases is Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.  While in theory this lady has
been released she still faces restrictions of movement which mirror a form
of incarceration.  The lady is a woman of great integrity and there is no
doubt she would be horrified to know that you choose to link yourself with
a tour company doing business in her country.  It is our hope that you will
reconsider this business relationship with Intrepid Travel and go further
by encouraging them to cease their business operation in Burma.

Yours sincerely,

Amanda Zappia

Australian Rep. NCGUB / FTUB
Central Co-ordinator ABC

C. C. All Australian Parliamentarians Amnesty Group, Pier Sane, AI London,
Janet Hunt, ACFOA, Jennie Gorge, ACTU

Free Burma Coalition, Australia

Working for the:
National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma
Federation of Trade Unions, Burma
Australia Burma Council

P.O Box 2024, Queanbeyan, NSW 2620
Ph.: +61-2-6297-7734	Fax: +61-2-6297-7773