Leichhardt Council Adopts Selective

Subject: Leichhardt Council Adopts Selective Purchasing

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 08:55:29 +1100

I am very pleased to report that Leichhardt Council (New South Wales,
Australia) passed unanimously on 23 February legislation imposing
selective purchasing against companies or individuals doing business
with the military regime in Burma.

The Council resolution stated:

'In line with the present and past values held by this Council, it is
considered that a selective purchasing policy be instigated which
reflects Council's intolerance of the oppression carried out by the SPDC
which holds power in Burma by military force.

Recommendation:

That Council adopt a purchasing policy which prevents it entering any
contractual arrangement for the provision of goods and personal services
with any person, business or organisation which is providing or willing
to provide goods or personal services to:

*The military regime in Burma
*Any business or corporation organised under the authority of the
military regime in Burma
* Any person for the expressed purpose of assisting in business
operations or trading with any public or private entity in Burma."

The resolution was passed unanimously after months of advocacy by the
Burma Support Group, Sydney. Many more Councils are in our sights!

Sean Turnell
Burma Support Group, Sydney, Australia