NLD says it's alive and well

INTERVIEW-Myanmar's NLD says it's alive and well
=====================================

By Rajan Moses

YANGON, Feb 23 (Reuters) - Myanmar's opposition National League for
Democracy is alive and well despite government repression and harassment
of the party and its leader Aung San Suu Kyi, a top NLD leader said.

``We are oppressed and suppressed (by the military). Many of our NLD
members have been arrested or detained. But let me tell the world that
we are alive and well,'' NLD vice chairman U Tin Oo told Reuters in a
rare interview late on Monday.

Tin Oo sought to dispel the notion that the party's recent lowered
international profile was a sign that it was weakening, blaming it
instead on tough government restrictions.

The ruling State Peace and Development Council (SPDC) has cut off
international telephone contact with NLD leaders such as Suu Kyi and Tin
Oo to prevent them stating their case to foreign media.

``Even though they cut our telephones and our connections, we have our
messengers or non-government organisations working secretly with us to
get messages out or receive them,'' Tin Oo said.

The military-dominated SPDC has held hundreds of NLD members, including
about 150 party members elected to parliament in the 1990 general
election, which the NLD swept but the result of which was not recognised
by the government.

The country's military rulers, who came to power in a bloody coup in
September 1988, have also curbed Suu Kyi's movements and the NLD's
political activities.

The military and the NLD have been at political loggerheads ever since
the 1990 poll result and Suu Kyi's subsequent house arrest of nearly six
years. The 1991 Nobel Peace Prize winner was released from detention in
mid-1995.

The party official said that besides the 1,000 to 2,000 political
prisoners held by the military, 150 NLD MPs were still in detention and
steadfastly sticking to their political beliefs and affiliation.

Tin Oo said, however, that about 20 to 30 NLD MPs had since left the
party or resigned from their posts due to coercion and emotional
blackmail directed at them and their families by the government. The
SPDC claims that those detained are being held in government guest
houses for consultations.

Tin Oo also moved to dispel the notion that a lull in moves by the NLD
and Suu Kyi to lock horns directly with the SPDC meant the opposition

may be holding secret talks behind the scenes with the government to
make political headway.

``We have no secret talks with the government. When we deal with anybody
or the SPDC we will do it openly and let the people know,'' he said.

``We are not quiet. Aung San Suu Kyi is not quiet. She is waiting for a
right time. If we are in a state of quietness why do they (SPDC) lay so
much oppression on us?'' he asked.

Although the government had made it hard for the NLD to launch fresh
political manoeuvres, Suu Kyi and party leaders were meeting members and
supporters on a daily basis at the Yangon NLD headquarters to plan
strategy and work towards fostering greater democracy, Tin Oo said.

For the NLD, the convening of a ``People's Parliament'' of elected
representatives from the 1990 polls would remain the party's top
priority, he added.

The SPDC has rejected the NLD proposal to convene the parliament and
says any future parliament must be based on a new national constitution
that is being formulated by a National Convention of
government-appointed delegates.

But the convention has not met for nearly three years.

``The People's Parliament is most important. They must honour the result
of the 1990 election. Everything must go through parliament,'' he said.

The NLD has even set up a panel to prepare for the convening of
parliament, much to the chagrin of the SPDC.

``The economic, political and social conditions are not in a good shape.
The people want civilian rule restored,'' Tin Oo said.

Asked what was the NLD's message to the world given the current curbs it
was operating under, Tin Oo said:

``Our NLD and democracy activists are trying their best to struggle and
do their utmost to restore our legitimate right of democracy and human
rights. Please give us some sort of moral encouragement in your own
way.''