Statement on Union Day

--=====================_4801782==_.ALT

STATEMENT ON THE OCCASION OF THE 52ND ANNIVERSARY OF UNION DAY

Today marks the 52nd anniversary of  the Pinlon Conference where the principle
of the formation of a Union of Burma was agreed between our national leader, U
Aung San and our patriotic ethnic nationality leaders.

For centuries  the feudal system had  created and encouraged mistrust among
the  ethnic nationalities, on the one hand making it impossible to build a
unified Burma and on the other hand, making it easy for foreign imperialist
powers to exploit our country. The divide and rule policy created further
disarray and disunity.

However, movements against imperialism and fascism were striving towards unity
and a national identity.  The Pinlon Conference ushered Burma into a new
era of
independence.   But after the assassination of U Aung San and other leaders,
though Burma had gained its independence, the subsequent rulers lacked the
capability to lead effectively and maintain the national unity. Consequently
civil war broke out. Citing the instability of the national situation as an
excuse,  Gen. Ne Win, then the Chief of staff of the Armed Forces staged a
coup
d?etat in 1962.   The flames of civil war were kindled by the Burmese Army
headed by Gen Ne Win until peace could not be found in any corner of Burma. As
civil war raged through the country and the army looked only after itself,
Burma lost its prestige and plunged into poverty. Today, it is one of the ten
poorest countries in the world.

It is our duty to uplift Burma, to ensure the dignity and well-being for all
our people and to have equal status among the family of nations. As long as
there is a  military  dictatorship in Burma our country cannot achieve peace,
democracy, human rights and national harmony. DPNS, together with our ethnic
nationality brothers and sisters, have resolved to shake off  the shackles of
military despotism once and forever. Today on the 52nd Union Day, we, DPNS.
dedicate ourselves to the realisation of a happy, healthy and prosperous
Burma.

Central Committee  of DPNS
Feb 12th 1999