Letter to Japanese Prime minister f

Subject: Letter to Japanese Prime minister from Wits University, RSA

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01BE50A2.3DD8E060

University of the Witwatersrand
1 Jan Smuts Avenue,
Johannesburg,
Private Bag 3, WITS 2050.
South Africa.
Department Of Civil and Environmental Engineering

To: THE JAPANESE PRIME MINISTER.
Co: THE JAPANESE EMBASSY OF SOUTH AFRICA.
Fax: 012-433-922.

Dear Sir/Sirs/Madam.
I respectfully request that you please forward this fax to your Prime
Minister.
Sir, It is my wish that you should be appraised of the fact that, many
people in South Africa including myself, view the military government in
Burma (Myanmar) as illegitimate, brutally repressive, and certainly not
representative of the Burmese people.
We are well informed of the military regimes manner of operation, and view
it with extreme distaste. We know that the military government has no
respect for human rights, and in years to come we will be pressing the
International community through the international court to bring the leaders
of the military junta to trial for human rights abuses.
I would urge you and your government, respectfully, in any dealings you may
have with the Junta or it's representatives to emphasise in the strongest
terms.
(1) Your disapproval of their style and methods of government.
(2) That they release all political prisoners forthwith.
(3) That they begin negotiations for the holding of free and fair elections
and the dissolution of their military government.
It may also be worth noting that many countries including South Africa,
would take note of and view with displeasure, any close co - operation of a
diplomatic or an commercial nature between Japan and Burma (Myanmar). Under
the present regime.
We look to your great country, your government, your wisdom and leadership,
to indicate strongly, Japans disapproval of Burma's (Myanmar's) military
junta.
Enlightened South Africans are keenly aware of the role the International
community played in persuading the previous government in South Africa of
the error of their ways and policies.
And now that we have attained emancipation and freedom, it is our duty to
speak out in support of those who are suffering in the same way that we
suffered.

Lastly, we expect no less of Japan, than that Japan indicate their
abhorrence of the issues raised above by a correct political and diplomatic
stance I engagement with I towards the present Military government, it's
methods, policies, and brutality.

I remain yours respectfully,

Graham Bailey
Civil and Environmental Engineering, Department.
University of the Witwatersrand.
Former Executive Member of the DPSC(Detainees Parents Support Committee)
South Africa.
Tel: (011) 7162588 (w) Fax:(011) 3391762 (w)
E Mail: graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01BE50A2.3DD8E060

University of the=20 Witwatersrand
1 Jan Smuts = Avenue,=20
Johannesburg,
Private Bag = 3, WITS=20 2050.
South=20 Africa.
Department = Of Civil and=20 Environmental Engineering