Freedom of Expression ?

World: Asia-Pacific

Jail for Singapore opposition speech
****************************

Singapore opposition leader Chee Soon Juan has been jailed for seven
days after refusing to pay a fine for holding an illegal public rally.

Singapore Correspondent David Willis reports from court
In what is seen as a test case for freedom of expression, Dr Chee was
accused of making a political speech in December 1998 without a public
entertainment licence.

Dr Chee, 36, said he had not broken the law because freedom of speech is
enshrined in Singapore's constitution - provided the subject matter of
the speech does not pose a threat to national security.

But the judge fined him 1,400 Singapore dollars (US$828 US) and sent him
to jail when he refused to pay.

Dr Chee, 36, who is secretary-general of the tiny Singapore Democratic
Party (SDP), faces a second charge of speaking without a permit when he
comes out of prison.

He had previously warned he would not pay any fine because it would help
legitimize an unjust law.

Wife: 'I'm proud of him'

Dr Chee remained defiant as he was led away to the cells. "Despite the
ruling today in court, my belief and conviction remains undiminished,"
he said in a statement.

"My right to free speech, guaranteed in the Singapore constitution, has
been violated by an unconstitutional and undemocratic law put in place
by the ruling regime to deny the opposition from effectively reaching
out to the
people."

His wife, Huang Chih Mei, who is eight months pregnant, said: "I think
one day when our child is old enough to understand all this, he or she
will be very proud of what their father is doing today."

In court Dr Chee's lawyer Joshua Jeyaretnam said the authorities
discriminated against opposition parties by denying or delaying permits
for speaking in public.

"Once you impose the need for a licence, then you're taking away the
right [to free speech],'' he added.

But prosecutor Bala Reddy said the right to free speech enshrined in the
constitution was ''not an absolute and unqualified right".

He said parliament was empowered to impose restrictions in circumstances
that posed a threat to security or public order.

Freedom debate

BBC Singapore Correspondent David Willis says Dr Chee's defiance is
highly unusual in the tightly controlled city state, and has prompted a
growing debate on the freedom of speech.

Dr Chee's party holds no seats in the 84-member parliament, where there
are only three opposition members.

The People's Action Party, which has dominated Singapore for 40 years,
says its tight controls on speech, assembly and the press are necessary
to avoid unrest.