From MIZZIMA News Group (r)

Fernandes refutes Bhagwat's charge

24th February 1999

The Defence Minister, Mr. George Fernandes, today sharply reacted to the
sacked naval chief, Admiral Vishnu Bhagwat's allegation that the LTTE,
Myanmarese and the North-East rebels were operating from his house.

"Aisa aadmi kaise is pad par pahunch gaya uski jaanch honi chahiye (It
must be investigated how such a person reached such a high post)," Mr.
Fernandes said while replying to queries on Mr. Bhagwat's allegation.

Talking to reporters at a convention of the Indian Railway Construction
Limited (IRCON) here, he said, "If some people are inclined to believe him
(Admiral Bhagwat), then I have nothing to say."

During his first press conference after his dismissal, Admiral Bhagwat had
accused the Defence Minister of "subverting the chain of military
command," saying that his sacking and the appointment of his successor was
a politico-military coup carried out by the Defence Minister.

On the Congress Working Committee (CWC) DECISION TO OPPOSE THE
RATIFICATION OF THE Presidential proclamation invoking Article 356 in
Bihar, Mr. Fernandes denied that there was any compromise formula for
seeking the Congress (I)'s support for the ratification of the move.

There was no proposal to change the Bihar Governor, he said when asked
whether the Congress (I) was bargaining for extending support to the
Presidential proclamation in the Rajya Sabha.

MIZZIMA News Group
1944,Outram Line, Kingsway Camp,
Delhi - 110009
Tel/Fax: 7115491