NLD Statement 11(1/99) in English

National League for Democracy
NO (97/B), West Shwegondine Road
Bahan, Rangoon

Statement NO: 11(1/99)

1.  Sovereign power that vests in the people was transferred to their
representatives in multi-party democratic elections held in the month of
May 1990. The National League for Democracy was given a whole hearted
mandate by the people.

2.  The responsibility of elected representatives to the Hluttaw
(Parliament) is to assemble together and deliberate on state matters for
the welfare of the country but this Hluttaw did not materialise so these
representatives endeavoured to convene a Pyuthu Hluttaw (People's
parliament) as was their bounden duty. The only response by the "holders
of power", (the Military Intelligence units) was to illegally and
unjustly seize and incarcerate all NLD parliamentarians-elect, and
organising committee members of the NLD starting from the Central
Committee right down to the level of the wards and villages, and
ordinary members.
3.  Instead of admitting their illegal and unjustifiable actions, these
"holders of power" are falsely, shamelessly and deliberately claiming
and broadcasting that discussions are being held with these persons
(whom they have incarcerated). "Discussion" is a word with a good
connotation suggesting future benefit. Nothing of the sort is happening.
4.  The following questions and answers bear witness to the fact that no
such "discussions" have taken place. Referring to the interrogation as
discussions is a falsehood.

Q.	Are students going to the compound where Daw Aung San Suu Kyi  lives?
A.	I have seen students, old men and women and children going there.

Q.	When did students go there?
A.	I did not say that I saw students go there. I am saying that all
types of people go there, whether they be students or not I do not know.

Q.	When was that?
A.	When Aunty (Daw Aung San Suu Kyi) was released from house arrest and
University Avenue was open to traffic.

Q.	Did you see foreigners?
A.	Yes.

Q.	Citizens from which country?
A.	Don't know. Fair skinned, tall and well-built, red hair - these are
the characteristics of foreigners to me.

Q.	Did you see American people go there?
A.	Yes.

Q.	Did you hear what they said? Did you see what they did?
A.	I don't know this. This is not my business. This is the business of
the seniors.

Q.	How many times did you see them come?
A.	I can't remember. You should ask the MI unit that is posted at the
gate. They can only enter after being interrogated by them.

Q.	What else did you all do in the compound-like political classes of
course?
A.	Not in the compound. We learnt English speaking and grammer in the
Divisional office.

Q.	Did you attend?
A.	Yes.

Q.	So you will be talking to foreigners?
A.	I could not even finish the course. I did not have time.

Q.	What was the time period?
A.	Five months. You (big brother) hold a degree. You must know how long
one has to learn to be able to speak the language.

Q.	Didn't you have reading groups and political study groups in the
compound?
A.	Yes.

Q.	Did you attend?
A.	Anyone could attend the reading groups. This was not the case with
the political studies.

Q.	Why?
A.	One from each township attended. Someone senior to me attended.

Q.	Who attended from your township? What did they study?
A.	I did not have to attend and I don't know who had to attend.

Q.	Did not one of your friends attend and did she not tell you what she
was taught?
A.	She did.

Q.	What did she say?
A.	It is the usual thing which we are always talking about. The benefits
of democracy and how to solve our economic problems in a democracy.

Q. 	Who were the leaders and the teachers?
A.	I heard that Aunty led and taught them.

Q.	Did you have discussions in the reading group?
A.	Yes.

Q.	Which book did you discuss?
A.	The video- a short story included in a book " Crying strength and
laughing strength" written by Min Lu.

Q.	Didn't you have general discussions in your reading groups?
A.	NO. We were not permitted to discuss matters outside of those
contained in the prescribed book.

Q.	What are the purpose of these reading groups?
A.	To obtain reading speed and extend our general knowledge.

Q.	As far as you know what are the books discussed?
A.	Min Lu's Crying Strength and Laughing Strength, Aung Thin's
Interview, Maung Thaw Ka's poems. This is all I remember.

Q. 	Who headed the reading group?
A.	Aunty and Uncle U Tin Oo.

Q.	Were the books prescribed by them?
A.	No. The choice was made by those attending.

Q.	Did they teach you all?
A.	After discussions they advised on points that were needed.

Q.	Your organisation is saying that they will convene the Hluttaw. If
you were a parliamentarian-elect, do you think this is something that
should be done or shouldn't be done?
A.	We voted for these representatives giving them the authority to do
so. If they do not, we will have to whip them into doing so.

Q.	If you were Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, would you be doing this kind of
work?
A.	What king of work?

Q.	Convening parliament.
A.	I am not in a position to make this decision. I don't have the brains
also.

Q. I am only asking a hypothetical question. Your answer can be a
hypothetical one.
A.	Can I not stay without giving an answer?

Q.	No.
A.	Just as Daw Aung San Suu Kyi have the support of the majority, if I
were in her place I will have to do what the majority want me to do.

Q.	Do you know that if a Hluttaw is convened it will be a contravention
of the law?
A.	I am not an authority on law so I can not know if it contravene the
laws or not.

Q. 	If your organisation does convene a parliament and you were one of
those cooperating and giving voluntary service and we come in and arrest

you. what will you do?
A. 	Since I have joined an organisation in which I have complete
confidence, I can not shun any responsibility that is allotted to me.

Q.	You will submit to arrest?
A.	Yes.

Q. 	Do you think that it will be good if your organisation takes on the
administration?
A. 	It will be good. We do not want a government that shifts the blame
from one person to another when situations arise. We only want a
government which will be accountable and take responsibility for
everything that happens.

Q. 	Do you think that the existing government will step down?
A.	Ways and means will have to found to get the transfer. Every
government that commits wrongs against the people will be opposed. Ours
is not a personality cult. Any person with a strong sense of empathy
with the people will be accepted.

Q.	With what objective did you join the NLD?
A.	I can not help it if by my speaking the truth you get angry. I saw
with my own eyes the shooting down of students on 8.8.88. They did not
have as much as a short pin  with which to retaliate.

Q.	Where did you see this? At which place?
A.	At State High School No: 2 in Thingangyun. I am not just referring to
the fire hoses that were used on them and the way they were beaten with
sticks. Consequently, the NLD was formed and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
appeared on the scene. Because I think that I can work for the good of
the country I joined the NLD.

Q.	What did you have to do?
A.	I assisted in the organisational work for the elections. After
winning the elections there wasn't much to do. Only when Aunty was
released we had work.

Q.	What did you have to do?
A.	I have already given the answer.

Q.	Read the written record of your statement and put your signature to
it.
A.	Why did you write that students came into the compound and made
contacts- which I never stated?
(This was erased because they said that they would erase the parts I do
not like.)
I did not say that we have discussed about all matters at the reading
group- Please erase that.

Q.	We will erase that.
(Then she was asked to read the written statement and to sign on every
page.)

Q.	What are your views about the present government?
A.	I have answered all the questions put to me and signed the statement.
I don't think any further questions are necessary.

Q.	We ask because it is necessary. Please give a short answer.
A.	My views are different from yours. If I say something that you do not
like you will be able to take action against me because you have the
power now. I can not speak.

Q.	We give you our word that we will not record what you say.
A.	I decline to answer.

Q.	Please think about it.
Q.	Have you finished thinking?
A.	I will speak. The present government is restoring the pagodas and
giving alms to monks. They  seem to be drawing nearer to God and in time
a change of heart is possible. Even Ingulimala was reformed and became
an Arahan when he came face to face with Buddha. They too will change.
It will be good if the change comes about quickly.

Central Executive Committee
National League for Democracy