Burmese in New Delhi Appeal to the

Subject: Burmese in New Delhi Appeal to the Japanese P.M.

To: 		The Honorable Prime Minister
		Government of Japan
		Tokyo, Japan

Through: 	His Excellency Ambassador
		Embassy of Japan
		New Delhi, India

Date: 23rd January, 1999

Your Excellency:

We take this opportunity to appeal you respectfully as follows:

1. Brigadier General Kyaw Win, deputy chief of the office of Strategic
Studies of Myanmar's defense ministry, is in Tokyo to "exchange views" with
the Japanese government officials, from 20th to 30th of January, 1999.

2. On this juncture, we, very cordially, want to mention that Brig. Gen.
Kyaw Win is a representative of an illegal government, which is ruling
Myanmar (Burma), after killing thousands of peaceful demonstrators,
including Buddhist monks, in 1988.

3. They have not yet shown any respect for the people and the political
party, the National League for Democracy, which won more than 80 percent of
the parliamentary seats in the 1990 elections.

4. Not only this, they have not shown any concrete sign, which shall lead
the country to a democratic nation. However, they are notorious all over
the world for breaking their promises. The United Nations and the
international communities have, often, again and again, denounced them for
their human rights violations and drug drillings.

5. Government of Japan has provided them a loan of 2.5 billion yen, and
again 800 million yen, in 1998. These assistance have not led a single step
ahead towards the establishment of a democratic government which would
redress the grievances of the people of Myanmar (Burma).

6. As such, we request Your Excellency not to entertain the representative
of an illegal government and not to provide them any financial support, in
the name of people of Myanmar (Burma).

7. If any support to the Myanmar (Burmese) people is provided, that should
be given in the consultation with the NLD party leaders, who are the real
representatives of the people of Myanmar (Burma).

8. We, on behalf of the Burmese pro-democracy activists in India, fervently
hope that our appeal would meet a deep consideration by Your Honorable
Prime Minister of the government of Japan.

BURMESE PRO-DEMOCRACY ACTIVISTS IN INDIA