NLD "RESIGNATIONS" - SOME FIGURES

I've been doing a bit of arithmetic on the "resignations" of elected NLD
MPs, closure of NLD branches and "resignations" of ordinary NLD members
(which NLD says are either forced or of non-NLD members).

I worked mainly from Rangoon TV and Radio and "The New Light of Myanmar".

Here are the figures. Perhaps someone can do something with them.

If anyone wants a list linking the chronological and geographic lists, let
me know.

David Arnott (Burma Peace Foundation, Geneva)

***************

RESIGNATIONS OF NLD MPS-ELECT

>From Rangoon Radio and TV and the "New Light of Myanmar" I have counted 11
"resignations" of MPs-elect from September-January.

On 9 December Reuters quoted a Govt spokesman as saying that 55 MPs had
"resigned".

Since 3 were announced to have "resigned" after that, the figure by 9
January 99,
is therefore 58

*************************

"RESIGNATION" OF ORDINARY NLD MEMBERS

(mostly from Rangoon Radio and TV and the "New Light of Myanmar")

DATE....NUMBER OF "RESIGNATIONS" REPORTED

9/18........27
9/30........44
10/16.......14
10/20.......38
10/24....... 7
10/25.......15
10/27.......24
10/29....... 8
11/06....... 7
11/09.......21
11/11.......37
11/15.......51
11/17.......41
11/18......970
11/19	......18
11/21.......22
11/22.......38
11/24....... 7
11/25	.....502
11/26	.....	73
11/27......	24
11/28......108
11/29......	67
11/30......	53
12/01......267
12/03......214
12/04......  4
12/05...... 62
12/06......364
12/09......  9
12/10......	72
12/11......136
12/12......247
12/13......264
12/14...... 15
12/15...... 86
12/16......422
12/17......	25
12/18......	40
12/19......	50
12/20......128
12-21......323
12/22......160
12-23......382
12/24......218
12/25......	72
12/27...... 26
12/28...... 35
12/31......189

Total.... 5954 (9 Jan)

A Reuters report of 8 January gave a figure of 7168, which may well be more
accurate,
since I probably did not get all the reports.

****************

GEOGRAPHIC SPREAD OF RESIGNATIONS

Irrawaddy Division 2662
Pegu Division 1712
Sagaing Division 259
Mandalay Division 255
Shan State Division 255
Rangoon Division 217
Magwe Division 204
Arakan State 94
Kachin State 71
Chin State 31
Tenasserim Division 30
Mon State 28
Karen State 4

This adds up to 5767, which is a couple of hundred less than the former
list.  This is largely because the reports do not always give the State or
Division of particular townships

CLOSURE OF NLD PARTY BRANCHES

>From Rangoon Radio and TV and the "New Light of Myanmar" reports I have
counted 34 NLD branches closed from September 98 to January 99