Felicitations on 51st anniversary o

Subject: Felicitations on 51st anniversary of Independence

NATIONAL COALITION GOVERNMENT OF THE UNION OF BURMA
Felicitations on 51st anniversary of Independence

On the day of the 51st anniversary of independence, the 4th of January
1999, we would like to extend the warmest greetings and express our best
wishes for health and happiness to the entire people of Burma.
	Though Burma gained independence from the British colonialists on the 4th
of January 1948, the civil war broke out together with it.  The 51st
anniversary of independence has been reached, but the people of Burma have
never had a chance to enjoy the full fruit of independence. Countries that
gained independence about the same time as Burma, have surged forward many
years ahead of Burma, while sadly, Burma is seen to have been moving
backward.  Genuine development will be possible only when there are freedom
of thought and physical security for the entire people.  Only when a new
social environment of peace, justice and general reconciliation is created,
will it be possible for our Union of Burma to achieve genuine development.
	Under the oppressive rule of the usurper of power, the SLORC/SPDC the
people have to face, every day, the odious reality of suppression of
freedom, human rights violation, repeated violations of human dignity by
the use of unjust laws and etc.  Conditions on all areas of the country,
regarding such matters as politics, economy, social welfare, education,
health and etc., are deteriorating alarmingly.
	Currently, for the perpetuation of its military dictatorship, the SPDC is
blatantly subjecting to arbitrary arrest and detention, members of
parliament-elect from the NLD and other political parties, NLD members and
supporters of the NLD.  The SPDC has never made the effort to resolve
political problems by political means and has relied entirely on repression
by force. These detestable activities would only lead the nation to utter
destruction.  The refusal by the SPDC to recognize the results of 1990
election, which is the true will of the people, amounts to holding the
people in contempt and being defiant of them.
	The NLD has demanded for the convening of parliament, on behalf of the
people, and it is now endeavoring for the return of the people's power to
the people, after forming the Committee Representing People's Parliament.
We honor and put on record, the members of parliament-elect, members of the

NLD and members of other political parties, who have been subjected to
arbitrary arrest and incarceration by the SPDC military dictatorship, and
who have stood firmly for democracy yearned for by the people, in spite of
various forms pressure, intimidation and torture imposed by the fascist SPDC.
	The SPDC has reacted by putting in prison, sending to the front-lines, as
porters, and subjecting to torture, also, the activists who have struggled
for the freedom of the people who have to bear ruthless repression, unjust
treatment, bullying and insult.
	Nowadays, the SPDC is bankrupt politically, economically and etc. and the
country is in a general crisis. We cannot regain our liberty by being
afraid. We are in a situation where we may be subjected to live in fear,
for life. Therefore, it is time for us to shed our fear and face the SPDC
with courage.
	It is now time for us to gain victory by working, without hesitation and
fear, and with a firm belief in the program for liberation from the
military dictatorship and for the establishment of democracy, ethnic
equality and peaceful and prosperous new nation. We send this letter of
felicitations together with our good wishes for the entire people of Burma
to have freedom from worry and fear, freedom from various forms of
repression and freedom from violation of basic human rights, and to gain
genuine "independence," without delay.

The Cabinet
National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma

January 4, 1999