The Strait Times / Burma

>From Singapore ST
December 30, 1998

Chee gives talk without permit
=====================

Promoting his new book at Raffles Place, the SDP chief addresses a
lunchtime crowd for an hour without having first applied for a permit

IGNORING police warnings not to hold a public talk without a permit,
Singapore Democratic Party chief Chee Soon Juan addressed a lunchtime
crowd at Raffles Place yesterday.

The police said that he would be called up for questioning, as he had
not applied for a permit.

Under the Public Entertainment Act, anyone who gives a talk in a public
place without a permit can be fined up to $5,000.

The police said in a statement last night that before the talk, he had
refused to accept a letter advising him not to go ahead with the talk.

They also said that after the talk, he had also refused to accept
official notification to present himself at the Central Police Division
Headquarters for an interview related to the investigation into the
incident.

The statement added: "The police have commenced investigations into the
incident. If an offence is disclosed, police will consult the
Attorney-General's Chambers and charge the offender in court."

Dr Chee was at Raffles Place to sell his new book,  " To Be Free."

At about 12.35 pm, he got ready to speak, shortly after Superintendent