The Shan Monastery in Danger of Bei

Subject: The Shan Monastery in Danger of Being Divided:

The Shan Monastery in Danger of Being Divided

The only temple along the 1,800 km long boundary between Burma and Thailand
is in danger of being partitioned according to a SHAN source.

The temple, Fa Wiang Inn a.k.a. Laktaeng, was believed to have been set up
around B.E. 2400 (AD. 1857). It is between the Shan States' Pang Maisoong
in Mongton Township (the equivalent of a Thai District), Mongsart District
(the equivalent of a Thai province) and Thailand's Piangluang village in
Wianghaeng District, Chiangmai Province. "Nowhere else can you see another
one like this along the border", said the source..

The temple has a pagoda, believed to contain the relics of Sariputta, the
Lord Buddha's Chief Disciple, the main prayer hall, Kornzurng's tomb, the
monks' quarters, an ordination hall, a monastic school building and the
nuns' quarters. According to the source, the Burmese are claiming the whole
premises belong to them.

"The Thais, on the other hand, say it should be made a center of worship
for both sides", added the source. "But the Burmese military wouldn't
listen. And the Thais say they would never agree to giving up the whole
compound, because the temple is already been recorded and confirmed as
belonging to Thailand"..

The villagers, however, have different answers, when asked by S.H.A.N.
whether they would like it to be in Thailand or Burma.

"We built the whole thing with our sweat and money from both sides of the
border", said one. "Doesn't matter who it belongs to, as long as we are
able to go up there and make merits anytime we wish. Of course, we wouldn't
like either side setting up checkpoints and asking us about our IDs and
things when we go there"..

Another one says somewhat vehemently:
"It neither belongs to the Thais or Burmese. It belongs to the Shans".

Some express fear that when the temple is partitioned, it will also end the
mutual goodwill that exists between people on both sides of the border.

N.B. Statement of Apology.
"In our 11 December news report on the Salween Dam, S.H.A.N. said that a
Mr. Steve Thompson, a spokesperson for Green November 32, an
environmentalist NGO, gave his opinion on the proposed dam project.
S.H.A.N. acknowledges that this quote was misinterpretation of what was
said. We also stand corrected that Steve Thompson is not a spokesperson for
Green November 32, since 1994 has not worked with that organization and
does not endorse its current leadership or activities. We sincerely
apologise for this mistake and misunderstanding it may have caused."

S.H.A.N.
// END //