Chirac backs Suu Kyi on Human Right

Subject: Chirac backs Suu Kyi on Human Rights Day

 Full story
Chirac backs Suu Kyi on Human Rights Day
01:53 p.m Dec 10, 1998 Eastern
PARIS, Dec 10 (Reuters) - French President Jacques Chirac expressed his
support and respect for Myanmar democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi on Human
Rights Day on Thursday and urged her to continue her struggle.

Suu Kyi, the 1991 Nobel Peace Prize winner forced by the military to live in
semi-isolation at her home in Yangon, addressed by videotape a ceremony
marking the 50th anniversary of the United Nations Universal Declaration of
Human Rights.

This and another tape, both made at her home recently and brought out of the
former Burma by human rights campaigners, deeply impressed the activists and
dignitaries here with their message never to despair in seeking justice.

``Your testimony has reinforced our determination to struggle (for human
rights,'' Chirac said in his message.

``I regret you could not come to Paris, but you can rest assured that you
have been heard,'' he said. Suu Kyi declined to travel to Paris out of fear
she would not be allowed back in Myanmar.

``In these days of difficulty for you and your compatriots, I express my
full admiration for your courage and France's support in your struggle,''
Chirac added.

``Let me express my hope and my conviction that Burma will return to the
path of democracy, the rule of law and development thanks to you and your
supporters, with the help of the international community.''

Suu Kyi, whose father Aung San led Burma to independence from Britain in
1948, is head of the National League for Democracy (NLD) which won 392 of
the 485 seats in the 1990 elections but was not allowed to take office.

She and the NLD have come under growing pressure since they formed a
committee in September to represent the would-be deputies elected in 1990.

Copyright 1998 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication and
redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior
written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or
delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.