KHRG #98-08 Part 5 of 6: Pa'an dist

Subject: KHRG #98-08 Part 5 of 6: Pa'an district

                    UNCERTAINTY, FEAR AND FLIGHT

    The Current Human Rights Situation in Eastern Pa'an District

       An Independent Report by the Karen Human Rights Group
               November 18, 1998     /     KHRG #98-08

*** PART 5 OF 6 - SEE OTHER POSTINGS FOR OTHER PARTS OF THIS REPORT ***

[Some details omitted or replaced by 'xxxx' for Internet distribution.]

                               DKBA

"Now Thu Za Na [monk founder of the DKBA] dares not stay full-time
in Khaw Taw, because they [DKBA and SPDC] don't trust each other.
Sometimes he goes to stay in Taw Oo [Toungoo], in 20 Battalion area
[Papun District] or in Pa'an.  I don't know whether he still gives the
orders or not, but some of the DKBA are really bad." - "Saw Po Htoo"
(M, 23), KNLA soldier in Meh Th'Wah township (Interview #23, 4/98)

In the north of Pa'an District along the Salween River lies Myaing Gyi Ngu
(known in Karen as Khaw Taw), headquarters of the Democratic Karen
Buddhist Army (DKBA).  More than a headquarters, this is also a 'refuge'
where thousands of Karen families live.  It has become so large that it has

been given a new official name: Pyi Daun town ('Pyi Daun' is Burmese
meaning roughly 'establish the new country').  It was set up by U Thuzana,
the monk who founded the DKBA in December 1994 with the backing of
the SLORC.  The 'refuge' was used to pull people away from the
KNU/KNLA and then use them to set up an Army which joined the
SLORC in its fight against the KNU/KNLA.  Many, though far from all, of
the families in Myaing Gyi Ngu have provided one or more family
members to be DKBA soldiers.  Families living there are not allowed to
farm or to eat meat; instead they receive a small ration of rice and
occasional beans from the SPDC.  Families of DKBA soldiers receive
additional food items such as cooking oil.  Most people there find the
ration insufficient, but they remain there because those living in Myaing
Gyi Ngu don't have to do forced labour for the SPDC, only for the DKBA,
which is much milder; generally it involves building pagodas and
maintaining roads, but the labourers are not usually beaten or otherwise
abused.

"When I was in Myaing Gyi Ngu, I saw the DKBA punish people who
had committed minor offences by making them parade themselves
around while they were naked.  They also demanded money from them,
and then finally put them in prison.  At Myaing Gyi Ngu I was forced to
work on their farms and dig toilets for them.  They were going to force
me to become a DKBA soldier, but I didn't want to so I fled and came
here."  - "Saw Tee Kaw" (M), Pah Klu village, southern Pa'an district
(Interview #17, 9/98)

Estimates on the number of families currently living in Myaing Gyi Ngu
by those who have visited range from 3,000 to 5,000 families.  The
Buddhists live in the main settlement, while the Christians live in a site
across the Salween River.  Reportedly the Christians suffer no persecution
and there are even Christians in the DKBA Army; in addition, while the
Buddhists are not allowed to farm in Myaing Gyi Ngu because of the
crowding, the Christians can reportedly do some farming on their side of
the river.  In Myaing Gyi Ngu a lot of work has been done building large
schools, a monastery and a hospital.  The schools teach the SPDC
curriculum, and the hospital is staffed by doctors sent by the SPDC on
rotation; it appears that these may be newly graduated doctors forced to do

a 6-month assignment in Myaing Gyi Ngu on graduation.

"Many villagers stay in Khaw Taw.  Now the school and the big houses
are growing.  They're building up the school, the monastery and the
houses of the commanders and officers.  They're building a system for
electricity, a cinema, broadcast station and the hospital."  - "Saw Kaw
Doh" (M, 19), villager from just outside Myaing Gyi Ngu who had just
joined the KNLA (Interview #31, 4/98)

DKBA numbers are difficult to estimate, but they probably have
somewhere between 1,500 and 2,500 soldiers at present.  Very few of
them can be found in Myaing Gyi Ngu itself, as they are very thinly spread
throughout Pa'an, Papun, Thaton and part of Dooplaya districts.  There is
no SPDC base in Myaing Gyi Ngu itself.  The SPDC continues to supply
the DKBA with all their arms and ammunition, though reportedly in
insufficient quantities as the DKBA has far fewer weapons than it has
soldiers.  Cash salaries paid by SLORC to DKBA soldiers were cut off
about 2 years ago.  Sources from Myaing Gyi Ngu claim that the SPDC
has announced that it will support the DKBA with food only for "4 years
and 1 month"; calculated from the DKBA's formation in December 1994,
this means until the end of 1998.  If the SPDC keeps to this, the future of

Myaing Gyi Ngu and of the DKBA itself is very uncertain.

"I think there are about 5,000 families [in Myaing Gyi Ngu]. They are
also refugees. They receive a ration from the SPDC.  They still give them
rice and sometimes beans, but now they only give rice once every 5 days.
They said that after 4 years and one month they will stop giving
anything.  [Four years and one month from the formation of the DKBA,
meaning the end of 1998.]  Some people don't want to stay there, but if
they leave they have to do forced labour for the Burmese and the DKBA,
such as road construction.  That's why it's better to stay inside [the
Khaw Taw refuge], even though they can't farm or do anything." - "Saw
Po Htoo" (M, 23), KNLA soldier in Meh Th'Wah township, describing
DKBA headquarters at Myaing Gyi Ngu (Interview #23, 4/98)

"They said they would give it for four years and one month [from the
start of the DKBA in December 1994; i.e. until the end of 1998].  After
that I think the people will have food problems."  - "Saw Ghay Htoo" (M,
20+), human rights monitor who visited Myaing Gyi Ngu (Interview #30,
4/98)

"I think about 3,000 [soldiers are in the DKBA].  They have many
people but only a few guns.  They don't have enough guns, and most of
the members are new DKBA [i.e. not former KNLA soldiers, but
villagers who have joined].  Most of them come from 7th Brigade [Pa'an
District].  Most of the KNLA and the villagers who joined DKBA didn't
want to, but the DKBA arrested them and made them become DKBA. ?
The DKBA leaders said that if T'Bee Met ["closed-eyes", i.e.
KNU/KNLA] came we would fight them.  The SLORC said, 'Don't
worry, we will support you if you fight the KNU.'  They said, 'We will
give you food, boats, trucks and airplanes.'"  - "Saw Htoo Kler" (M, 23),
former DKBA soldier who fled and joined the KNLA (Interview #29,
4/98)

U Thuzana himself is very seldom in Myaing Gyi Ngu anymore and
spends much of his time at temple-related activities in other parts of
Burma; whether this is because he no longer believes in the DKBA or for
other reasons is unclear.  Outside of Myaing Gyi Ngu the DKBA does not
have much civilian support.  This is because in some areas, such as eastern

Dooplaya district, they are very helpful in protecting villagers from SPDC
abuses and retaliations, but in most other areas, including most of Pa'an
district, they work closely with the SPDC as guides, informants, and
helping SPDC units to obtain food and forced labour from villagers.
Though the DKBA are supposedly vegetarian, outside Khaw Taw they
often take villagers' livestock and eat meat; some DKBA soldiers
compromise by telling villagers, "Two legs good, four legs bad", meaning
they can eat chicken or fish but not pork or beef.  They also engage in
active battle with the KNLA, run checkpoints along roads to collect money
from travellers, extort money and food out of villages, and are deeply
involved in the logging business, particularly selling logs to Thai
businessmen; in eastern Pa'an district they prohibit villagers to do any
logging without their permission.  DKBA units frequently arrest, detain
and torture villagers on their own initiative, take villagers as porters
and
sometimes shoot villagers who try to run from being taken as porters;
because of this, most villagers of all religions in eastern Pa'an district
see
them as being very similar to the SPDC, often even lumping them together
as 'the Burmese'.

"The situation got better for a while because of the DKBA, but after a
short time it got worse again.  Their commander has ordered them to kill
all the Karen people they see in the forest.  We ran away.  We didn't dare
stay for that."  - Man from Wah Mi Klah village, northern Pa'an district
(Interview #4, 9/98)

"I think they [DKBA] have only come here once.  They came to get food
- they looked for our chickens and pigs."
Interviewer:  "But the DKBA are supposed to be vegetarians!"
"No, they eat meat also.  They always take meat when they go away.
They tell the Burmese that they don't eat meat, but they all do."
[Another man:]  "The DKBA never eat meat when they're staying in
Khaw Taw, but when they leave that place they eat a lot of meat." - "Pu
Ler Muh" (M, 58), xxxx village, northeastern Pa'an District (Interview #26,

4/98)

"Recently, [DKBA commander] Maung Kwa asked for 100,000 Kyats
from a Paw Baw Ko villager. ? The Paw Baw Ko villager gave him
90,000 Kyats but he wasn't satisfied.  So he went to the villager again
with one of his friends, Htee Sa Rah, to get some more money so the
total would be 100,000 Kyats.  The villager couldn't give it to them, so
they put the barrel of their gun in his nose and killed him.  He didn't use

the 90,000 Kyats he got from the villager for anything but his own
family.  When he went to Htee Wah Blaw village he forced the village
headman to give him 25,000 Kyats and also stole a motorbike."  - "Saw
Tee Kaw" (M), Pah Klu village, southern Pa'an district (Interview #17,
9/98)

"The villagers have to gather roofing leaves, bamboo, paddy, milled rice,
and cloth, and send them to Khaw Taw, and they always have to pay
taxes.  Then they order them not to give anything if the KNLA comes for
taxes.  The Ko Per Baw who stay around Kwih Lay do not do much.
Sometimes they come to visit us with a gallon of alcohol and we drink
alcohol together.  They beat anyone who does logging without their
permission.  Logging is very important to them.  The Kwih Lay villagers
aren't allowed to do any logging, but the Ko Per Baw come and saw
down all the trees.  If Kwih Lay villagers want to do logging, they have
to get a pass.  They have to pay 1,000, sometimes 2,000 or 5,000 for the
pass, and then if they deal with the Ko Per Baw they can do logging. ?
they [DKBA members] only think things like, 'If I have a wide face [i.e.
pride and big status], if I am proud, if I can become a leader and a
bigshot that will be good for me.'"  - "Saw Kaw Doh" (M, 19), villager
from just outside Myaing Gyi Ngu who had just joined the KNLA
(Interview #31, 4/98)

As a result very few villagers want to join the DKBA, and some people
who join do so in order to gain power over other villagers.  Most of the
former KNLA soldiers who joined the DKBA when it was formed have
left.  Currently the DKBA membership appears to be divided between
those who want to improve the future for Karen people, and those who are
more interested in making money and wielding local power, with the latter
group forming the majority.  From their statements to villagers, many of
those in the first group appear to believe that if they help the SPDC
eliminate the KNU then the SPDC will withdraw from Karen State or the
DKBA will drive them out.  On their side, the SPDC makes it very clear in
their actions that they distrust the DKBA and would rather not have them
around, and that they only tolerate them because they are so useful.

"Some of the Ko Per Baw drink alcohol, some don't allow it, and some
beat the villagers for making it."  - "Saw Kaw Doh" (M, 19), villager
from just outside Myaing Gyi Ngu who recently joined KNLA (Interview

#31, 4/98)

"They told me that I should join DKBA.  I told them that I didn't want
to become a DKBA soldier, but they replied to me, 'If you don't want to
join DKBA we will kill you'.  I told them that I was afraid to die, so they

gave me a gun."  - "Saw Htoo Kler" (M, 23), former DKBA soldier who
fled and joined the KNLA, explaining how he became a DKBA soldier in
1995 (Interview #29, 4/98)

"The SPDC never admit that they fight against the DKBA, even though
they do fight against them.  They always say, 'We thought your men
were KNLA, we made a mistake', and the DKBA is satisfied and forgives
them every time.  But when our KNLA fights against them, they are
never satisfied and never forgive us!" - "Saw Po Htoo" (M, 23), KNLA
soldier in Meh Th'Wah township (Interview #23, 4/98)

"In the evening, I asked a DKBA [soldier] if he gets paid and he told me
that when he joined the DKBA Army he was paid 500 Kyats a month.
Then I asked him what about now, he said he doesn't earn any salary
now but he will be paid again at the end of this year.  I wasn't satisfied
with that answer so I asked a Burmese soldier when he came. ? I asked
him, 'What will you do with the DKBA?  Will you keep the DKBA as
your servants?'  He answered, 'No, the DKBA is going to put down their
arms.  Then they will become villagers.  They can't live as soldiers for
much longer.'"  - "Pi San San" (F, 50), Taw Oak village, southern Pa'an
district (Interview #18, 9/98)

According to those who have visited Myaing Gyi Ngu this year, the
villagers there believe that U Thuzana is a good monk and many believe
that he has magic powers.  When asked about the attacks on refugee camps
in Thailand, villagers at Myaing Gyi Ngu feel that these are not conducted
on the orders of U Thuzana but on the orders of the SPDC, and carried out
by local DKBA groups along the Thai border who they say are mostly
interested in logging and taking myin say (an amphetamine-type drug).

"?they [villagers in Khaw Taw] felt sorry about that [the refugee camp
attacks].  They said that it was something that was done by the people at
the border, not the plan of the monk.  They said that most of the [DKBA]
people who stay at the border work selling logs and some take 'myin say'
[an amphetamine-type drug, known in Thailand as Ya Ma], and that the
SPDC told them to do it."  - "Saw Ghay Htoo" (M, 20+), human rights
monitor who visited Myaing Gyi Ngu describing what people there told
him (Interview #30, 4/98)

"(T)hat is not the plan of the monks.  That is the Burmese.  Many
people in 1st Brigade [Thaton district] even say that he [U Thuzana] is
not a real monk but a Burmese spy."  - "Saw Kaw Doh" (M, 19), villager
from just outside Myaing Gyi Ngu who recently joined KNLA, talking
about the attacks on refugee camps in Thailand (Interview #31, 4/98)

In retaliation for attacks on the KNLA, and in particular for the DKBA's
attacks on Karen refugee camps in Thailand, the KNLA launched two
attacks on Myaing Gyi Ngu, the first in January 1998 and the second on
24th March.  In the first attack no one was wounded; the KNLA fired shells
which fell short of the village and the soldiers didn't enter.  In the
second
attack, about 40 KNLA soldiers attacked with mortars and rocket-
propelled grenades, entering part of Myaing Gyi Ngu itself firing
automatic rifles and grenades.  According to KNLA soldiers involved in
the attack, 15 Myaing Gyi Ngu residents were killed and about 70 injured,
all of them apparently civilians as the attackers didn't encounter any
DKBA soldiers.  When they arrived in the village they just yelled at the
villagers to get out, opened fire on the monastery and the houses, and
tried
to burn some houses before withdrawing.  They say that they wanted to
capture or kill some DKBA leaders, but they failed to find any.

"We said to each other, 'We must attack Ko Per Baw sometimes because
they've already come and attacked the refugee camps two or three times.
They burned down the houses and shot at the women, and some women
died.'  The Thai soldiers that had the duty to take care of the refugee
camp didn't dare to shoot at the Ko Per Baw, they ran away.  Then the
women said, 'The Thai soldiers guard us but they don't dare shoot at the
Ko Per Baw.' ? The women say, 'The Thai soldiers are very brave when
nothing is happening, but when anything happens they run to Mae Sot!'
? The Thai soldiers never chased them.  The Thai soldiers aren't brave.
They are women."  - "Saw Htoo Kler" (M, 23), former DKBA soldier
who fled and joined the KNLA, explaining the reasoning behind the late
March KNLA attack on Myaing Gyi Ngu (Interview #29, 4/98)

"Forty of us went for the attack.  I fired the big gun [mortar or rocket-
propelled grenade], TAW! TAW!  The people were running, the children
were running everywhere and crying 'Pi-pi-pa-pa!'"  - "Saw Htoo Kler"
(M, 23), former DKBA soldier who fled and joined the KNLA, describing
the late March KNLA attack on Myaing Gyi Ngu (Interview #29, 4/98)

"15 people died and altogether 70 people were injured.  Our main aim
was the monastery, so we fired at that.  We also shot at villagers' houses.

I fired 2 magazines at one house, a big house [therefore probably a
leader's house], and I think I heard cries from inside.  Also, a son of the

commander has a girlfriend there and he wanted to go and talk to her,
but some people stopped him so he took two hand grenades and threw
them among the villagers. ? We didn't see any Ko Per Baw soldiers,
maybe there were just a few soldiers inside their houses."  - "Saw Kaw
Doh" (M, 19), villager from just outside Myaing Gyi Ngu who had just
joined the KNLA describing the March attack on Myaing Gyi Ngu
(Interview #31, 4/98)

"We call them 'thawka a'thu' ['the monk's army'].  The army of the
monk must stay wherever the Burmese ask them to stay and do whatever
the Burmese ask them to do.  We consider them to be the dogs of the
Burmese, because if the Burmese ask them to come and attack Huay
Kaloke [refugee camp], they must come because the Burmese have fed
them.  Sometimes I think it wouldn't be wrong to call them the Burmese
Army, because they are led by the Burmese.  If they didn't accept the
Burmese as their leaders, where would they get their guns, bullets, food
and everything?! ? If the Burmese have to fight they don't really need
to fight at all, because they send the DKBA in front to fight for them.  It

looks like the Burmese love the DKBA, but really they don't love them at
all.  The DKBA themselves say that they will fight against the Burmese
if the Burmese abuse them.  But as I see it, how can they fight against
the Burmese when the Burmese are their leaders?  If they fight against
their leaders, won't they just become robbers?  What I mean is, if the
Burmese stop feeding them then I think most of them will become
robbers.  If they don't work as robbers then what will they do to feed
their families? ? One of these days some of those who have joined the
DKBA will weep for it."  - "Pa Ler Wah" (M, 30), Kaw B'Naw village,
Pa'an district (Interview #33, 8/98)

                       Life of the Villagers

"This year the weather has given the villagers many problems, because
there has been little rain so the villagers haven't been able to sow their
paddy and other fruits and vegetables on time.  As a result they now
have less paddy, fruits and vegetables than usual, and they have no
insurance for their survival in the coming year.  Moreover, the SPDC
has now said that this coming year the villagers must give them 700
Kyats [per family] every month.  The villagers know that they can't give
that every month, because they don't even know how they'll be able to
eat this coming year."  - report by KHRG monitor in southern Pa'an
District (Interview #11, 8/98)

Life for villagers in eastern Pa'an district is becoming increasingly
difficult
and uncertain.  In the southeast, they are currently facing increasing
demands for forced labour as porters, but they don't dare to go because
porters are now being forced to walk in front of military columns to
detonate landmines.  They used to be able to pay their way out of such
forced labour, but their money and valuables have already been exhausted
paying the ever-increasing extortion demands, particularly to the SPDC
and DKBA.  They can no longer pay any of these fees, yet they face arrest
or the destruction of their villages if they cannot.

"If he can tell the Burmese what they want to hear then they won't beat
him, but if he can't then they'll beat him.  Our headman has already fled
from the village.  He fled while I was still in the village.  He said that
he
felt bad having to ask the villagers to be porters and to do forced
labour."  - "Pi Wah K'Paw" (F, 60), Htee Wah Blaw village, southern
Pa'an district, describing how the SPDC troops treated her village
headman (Interview #20, 9/98)

Villagers throughout the Dawna region have little or no access to
medicines or medical facilities, because of the distances and difficulty of

travel with the attendant risks of stepping on landmines or being caught to

be porters, and because they cannot pay to go to a Burmese hospital, where
patients must pay for care, medicines, and all their food.  As a result
many
villagers are dying of treatable diseases such as malaria, dysentery, and
diarrhoea, complicated by oedema and other serious vitamin deficiencies.
These problems are worst among those who are already internally
displaced.  The villagers also have very little access to schools or
religious
facilities; for example, villages in the Meh Kreh area in the northeast had

their villages burned two to three years ago, and no longer dare to build
schools in their villages because they are sure it will attract an SPDC
attack.  In their experience, if there is an 'unauthorised' school then the

SPDC will suspect that the teachers were trained in KNU schools and that
they are not teaching the SPDC curriculum, and then they will attack the
village to destroy the school and kill the teachers.  This has sometimes
been the case in Papun and Dooplaya districts in the past.  As a result,
the
children in their area have no access even to primary school.  Similarly,
they see no point in building a Buddhist monastery because in the current
struggle to survive no one can even think of becoming a monk, and a
Christian church would be just as much a magnet for attack as a school.

"Many people have died from illnesses because of the lack of medicine
there.  Illness is one way to make people poor.  The lives of the people
there are now not so different from the lives of animals."  - report by
KHRG monitor in southern Pa'an District (Interview #11, 8/98)

"No school.  No hospital.  There are some children, girls and boys, who
need to go to school.  But there is no school, and no teacher to teach.
We dare not build a school, because we are afraid that if we do they will
come."  [Another man added:]  "We're afraid that we'd have to suffer
badly for having a school.  We never really know the heart of the
Burmese." - "Pu Ler Muh" (M, 58), xxxx village, northeastern Pa'an
District (Interview #26, 4/98)

"Are there any schoolchildren here?"
"There is no school so how can we have schoolchildren?  We dare not
open a school.  Before we had a school, but I don't know what the
Burmese would do to us or to our school if we tried to open one.  If we
needed teachers we'd have to look for them in other places.  There is no
one here who can read and write." - "Pu Kaw Soe" (M, 50), xxxx village,
northeastern Pa'an District (Interview #25, 4/98)

"There is no monastery and no school.  There is no school now, but
before we had a school.  If you want a school, the teachers must be
Burmese government teachers, or else they will kill them.  They really
will, the Burmese will kill them. ? They will never allow us to study
Karen [language].  The teachers must come from Burma with their
Burmese teacher's card.  Our Karen teachers have no Burmese
teacher's cards, so if they see our teachers they will kill them.  That's
why we can't try to open a school." - "Pati Lah Say" (M, 43), xxxx village,

northeastern Pa'an District (Interview #24, 4/98)

Now farmers in the southeast are also facing demands for the carts and
bullock teams they need to do their farming.  Throughout the district
farmers are finding life impossible because the weak rainfall has wiped out

much of their crop this year and yet they face further demands for rice
from the SPDC, the DKBA and the KNLA all at once, and failure to meet
any of these demands can mean serious punishment.  It is difficult for
them to farm, because they must spend much of their time doing forced
labour at crucial cropping times, and many villages in the area already
have a curfew of 4 p.m. imposed by the SPDC; they are only allowed to go
to their fields in the morning taking only enough rice for their lunch, and

they must be back in the village by 4 p.m. (or by sunset in some villages)
or they will be arrested and beaten or tortured, or shot on sight if seen
outside the village.  For many villagers whose fields are far from the
village, this is making it impossible for them to grow a proper crop.  At
this time of year, between June and November, they would normally spend
much of their time living in their field huts to tend their fields and
drive
off wild pigs and other animals.  Even working in their fields with
permission during the day, if a farmer sees an SPDC or DKBA group
approaching he often has two choices: stand and be caught as a porter, or
run and be shot at.  Villagers continue to be routinely and regularly shot
dead throughout Pa'an district simply for trying to run from patrols.

"When they're around the village they don't allow people to take rice to
their fields.  If you go to your farm hut, whether it's nearby or far away
you're only allowed to take enough rice for one day.  If they see you
taking more than that they accuse you of taking rice for the KNU and
punish you.  You can only take 5 small tins [about 1 kg./2 lb.] at a time,
so you have to come back every day to get more.  That makes it very
difficult for people whose fields are far away.  Moreover, we have to
arrive back at the village by 4 p.m. because if we arrive later than that
they'll shoot us.  Nobody has come back later than 4 o'clock yet so
nobody's been shot, but we also have to fear the landmines which they
put on the paths to our fields."  - "Saw Tha Dah" (M, 27), Taw Oak
village, southern Pa'an district (Interview #10, 8/98)

Combined with all of these difficulties are SPDC raids on villages and
forced relocations.  In the northeast near Meh Th'Wah they have not
occurred yet, but the villagers already fear them enough to start fleeing
their villages.  In the southeast they have already been ordered for the
end
of the harvest, and in the Meh Lah Ah area in the eastern Dawna, they
already hit full force in September when SPDC troops burned villages and
drove villagers into the hills and to Thailand.

With all of these problems facing them at the same time, many villagers
have already found they had no option but to flee into hiding in the hills
with whatever they could carry, or to flee toward Thailand to become
refugees.

"Right now we have to suffer from poverty, but we can survive.  But if
the problems or the poverty get any worse than they are right now, about
all we can do is cut off our own heads and die.  We already tried to run
to the refugee camp, but then we had to come back here because the
DKBA attacked the refugee camp." - "Pati Lah Say" (M, 43), xxxx
village, northeastern Pa'an District (Interview #24, 4/98)

  - [END OF PART 5; SEE SUBSEQUENT POSTING FOR PART 6 OF THIS REPORT] -