U.S. COMMITMENT TO AISA UNCHANGED

Copy List Suppressed for Security of the Subscribers

TRANSCRIPT: COHEN SAYS U.S. COMMITMENT TO ASIA UNCHANGED

(U.S. will maintain 100,000 personnel in region) (6850)

Washington -- Defense Secretary Cohen says the continuity of the U.S.
commitment to the Asia-Pacific region "remains unchanged" with plans
to maintain 100,000 U.S. military forces there as a way to ensure
stability in the region.

At a November 23 news conference to release the Defense Department's
East Asia Strategy Report, Cohen said such a military presence in the
region "helps us to shape events, to respond to crises, and to prepare
for an uncertain future."

The fourth edition of the report is entitled: "The United States
Security Strategy for the East Asia-Pacific Region." Cohen said it
reaffirms the U.S. network of alliances with countries such as Japan,
South Korea, Australia, Thailand, and the Philippines.

The 68-page report also reaffirms the U.S. commitment to
"comprehensive engagement with China" and to the expansion of
democracy in the Asia-Pacific region, the secretary said.

In his assessment, Cohen observed that Asia is not as confident
economically or militarily as it was in 1995 when the Pentagon last
released its East Asia report. He attributed this to both recent
economic difficulties in the region and uncertainties related to North
Korean military developments.

Stability in the region relies on economic growth and military
security, Cohen noted. "We are committed to maintain stability," he
added, because instability makes economic recovery "more difficult."

Asked about U.S. policy related to the Korean Peninsula, Cohen said
the United States is actively pursuing a dual engagement policy of
providing a strong military deterrent in South Korea while at the same
time engaging North Korea in a dialogue and urging that country to
show restraint with respect to ballistic missile tests.

Asked about the 1994 Agreed Framework with North Korea, Cohen said it
has been successful "to the extent that it has been complied with."
Serious questions about the degree of compliance "have to be
resolved," he emphasized, lest they "call into question the viability"
of the agreement. Further, he said, it is important to determine the
intent and capability of North Korea's underground facility now and
not wait for any extended period of time.

Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs
Franklin Kramer, who joined Cohen at the news conference, indicated
that any possible change in U.S. policy toward North Korea would be
influenced by a review currently being conducted by former Secretary
of Defense William Perry.

Kramer also made several observations related to the Year 2000 (Y2K)
computer problem and Asia -- a subject which is raised in the new
report. Some countries in the region have done "a reasonable amount"
to fix the Y2K problem, he said, while others "have done very little."
U.S. officials want these nations to focus on the software and
computer chip problem "so the systems are capable of functioning in
the new millennium."

While Deputy Defense Secretary John Hamre raised the Y2K issue during
a trip last month to Japan and South Korea, Kramer stressed that "Y2K
is a worldwide issue. (It is) just as much an issue with the Asian
countries as with anyone else."

With respect to Russia's role in the Asia-Pacific region, Kramer
observed that Russia is as much an Asian power as a European one,
given its geography and other interests. It is important, he added,
for major countries in East Asia to have good relations to ensure
stability. Russia could be more involved in the region, he said, a
subject which the 1998 East Asia report addressed. It states, for
example, that "Increasing Russian engagement may help relieve
historical tensions and resolve several longstanding disputes that
have plagued the region."

During the news conference, Cohen also answered questions unrelated to
the report, particularly on Iraq's behavior and on NATO's future
nuclear policy.

On the latest confrontation between UN weapons inspectors and Iraq, he
said: "We have to look at the full spectrum of their (Iraq's) level of
cooperation." Failure by Iraq to provide access for UNSCOM inspectors
to sites that Baghdad had previously agreed could be inspected, or
failure to produce documentation, or a combination of all of the
above, Cohen explained, leaves open the possibility "that the
president would order a military option in the future."

Questioned about Germany's recent suggestion that NATO declare a new
policy of "no first-use" of nuclear weapons, Cohen said: "We think
that the ambiguity involved in the issue of the use of nuclear weapons
contributes to our own security, keeping any potential adversary who
might use either chemical or biological (weapons) unsure of what our
response would be." It is a sound doctrine adopted during the Cold War
"but modified and reaffirmed following the end of the Cold War," he
said, stressing that it is integral to the alliance, and there is
"good rationale" for keeping it as it is.

Following is the transcript of remarks by Cohen and Kramer:

(begin transcript)

(Also participating in the briefing was Frank D. Kramer, Assistant
Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs.)

Secretary Cohen: Today I'm releasing the Defense Department's fourth
East Asia Strategy Report. Like the three previous reports, it
reaffirms the United States' commitment to Asia. It reaffirms our
determination to maintain approximately 100,000 soldiers, sailors,
airmen and Marines in the Asia Pacific. This presence helps us to
shape events, to respond to crises, and to prepare for an uncertain
future.

The report reaffirms our network of alliances with Japan, Korea,
Australia, Thailand, and the Philippines. And it reaffirms our
commitment to comprehensive engagement with China. It also reaffirms
our commitment to the expansion of democracy throughout the region.

Asia is not as confident as it was in 1995 when the Department of
Defense issued the last East Asian Strategy Report. The economic
difficulties and concerns about the developments in North Korea have
created uncertainty throughout the region, and in view of these
changes it's important to stress the continuity of America's
commitment remains unchanged.

Stability rests on the foundation of economic growth and military
security, and the policies that are outlined in this report are
designed to keep that foundation strong.

We have Dr. Kramer, Dr. (Kurt) Campbell here to give you some detailed
briefings following this opening presentation, and I will entertain a
few questions pertaining to the report itself, and then perhaps a few
questions on other subjects.

Questions on the report?

QUESTION: Secretary Cohen, when we talk about security in the East
Asia Pacific region with the continuing threat of missiles, missile
technology from North Korea, there's been some discussion about
whether or not the Navy's theater-wide missile program ought to get
more funding because it could be used by Japan to help increase
defense of the Japanese islands.

Is there any consideration of shifting more funds into that system in
order to develop that sea-based system a little sooner?

COHEN: As you know, we have at least five systems that are currently
under active research and development. We will try to utilize all of
these systems to come up with the appropriate system for the defense
of our forward deployed forces and for the defense of our allies.
There's no decision at this point as to which system will be used.

We are working with the Japanese government. We are exploring with
them ways in which they can cooperate with the United States in
helping to conduct this research and development for the best system
that would be desirable for the region.

Q: Is there any evidence that North Korea is preparing to conduct
another missile test like the one in August?

ANSWER: I wouldn't want to comment on any intelligence aspects. We
follow it very closely, and should further tests be conducted we will,
of course, respond appropriately.

Q: This report was conducted against the backdrop of a major crisis, a
financial crisis in Asia over the last year and a half. Are there any
themes in this report that might calm, in some respect, the crisis?
Any kind of connections whatsoever?

A: What we've tried to demonstrate by our presence -- it's not only
the military presence, it's not only the security that it represents,
but it's a multidimensional presence that we have. In the middle of
the booklet, for example, you'll see a day in the life of PACOM
(Pacific Command) -- all of the things that we do on a regular basis
all the way from humanitarian types of endeavors, dealing with
economic catastrophes, fire fighting in Indonesia, etc. All of that
designed to show number one, we have a commitment to the region and we
are committed to maintaining stability, and with stability comes the
prospect of the economic revitalization of being more likely. When you
have that instability it's much more difficult for the economic
recovery to take place.

So we think that through our presence and through the multiplicity of
activities that we have, that that contributes not only to the
security and stability but also gives a sense on the part of the
countries in East Asia the realization that the United States is
committed in the long term to its prosperity and stability.

Could I came back to, Jamie, your question about North Korea.

We are going to continue to urge restraint on the part of the North
Koreans as far as the missile testing is concerned. The most recent
tests in August, the one that appeared to be a launching of a
satellite, has caused great consternation in the region so we're going
to continue our dialogue with the North Koreans to see if we can't
promote greater restraint on their part.

Q: Sir, what do you consider to be the most outstanding achievements
in the way of furthering the security strategy by the visit of
President Clinton to Japan, to Korea, especially with regard to those
issues of missiles and the like?

A: I think the President by his official visit to Japan reaffirmed the
strong basis of not only our friendship with our alliance, the
relationship the United States has with Japan really forms the
cornerstone of our security arrangement throughout the region.

So to go to Japan to conduct talks with the Prime Minister was very
important to reaffirm that we'll continue to work with Japan, the
economic difficulties they're having, but we're going to try to work
with them as well understanding that Japan's economic recovery is also
going to be critical to the recovery throughout the region.

With respect to South Korea, we also see there that the presence of
the President to reaffirm this dual approach -- on the one hand
engaging North Korea; at the same time making very clear that we have
a strong military deterrent, that we intend to keep very strong, will
serve as the basis for the security of South Korea and throughout the
region itself. So the combination of the strong deterrent plus the
willingness to engage, indulge in active engagement policy, we think
holds the best promise for maintaining peace and stability in the
region.

Q: The report said that the 1994 agreed framework deflected a military
confrontation in Korea. Would the failure to get access to that
underground site and the collapse of that agreed framework bring the
situation back to that point of a possible military confrontation?

A: We think that the agreed framework has been successful to date, to
the extent that it has been complied with.

Again, questions have been raised as to whether there has been full
compliance. Those questions have to be resolved. The United States
does not intend to pay tribute, to pay compensation in order to carry
out a verification of an agreement, but we think that the agreement,
to the extent that we are aware today, it has been successful in
containing the growth and development of a nuclear capability on the
part of the North Koreans. If that agreement has not been complied
with, if there have been any activities undertaken by the North
Koreans that would in fact undermine that agreement, then it certainly
poses a very serious threat to the region and calls into question the
ability to maintain the agreed framework.

Q: How high, though, is your suspicion that if the agreement has been
circumvented by that underground...

A: I don't think it's helpful to try to qualify or quantify how high
the anxiety level is. I think it's important to say that there have
been serious questions raised. Those serious questions have to be
resolved. Unless they are resolved, then that will, in my judgment at
least, call into question the viability of the agreed framework.

Q: Mr. Secretary, a few months ago the assessment of that facility was
that whatever it was, it really wouldn't be on-line for several years.
It was a massive burying in rock and so on. Is there anything in the
current assessment that changes that time frame into a more urgent
question of nuclear capability?

A: I think that even though the questions concerning that particular
site may change over the long term into something much more than it is
today, it would be important for us to determine at this point what
the intent and what the capability of that underground facility would
be.

What the intent of the North Koreans and its capability ultimately
would be.

It would seem to me not to be a prudent course to wait until the
facility is completed and then ask for inspection and then find that
it's something inconsistent with the agreed framework. So I think it's
important to answer the questions now rather than waiting any extended
period of time.

Q: The forces that are committed to keeping an eye on Saddam and so
forth, is it... Should diplomacy not work out, does the United States
still have the strength and still have the forces to reinforce those
that, and keep an eye on North Korea? Are you short of what you need?
It took awhile to get things to the Gulf.

A: We have in place in the Gulf enough capability to carry out any
military option the President might decide would be required, so we
don't have any hesitation to state that we have enough forces on hand.
They can be reinforced as we saw very quickly, should that be needed.
We have enough forces to serve as an adequate deterrent, a very strong
deterrent elsewhere. So I don't have any questions of that capability.

Q: It hasn't taken long for Iraq and the U.N. inspectors to have some
tension over documents which now Iraq says doesn't exist. How long are
you going to let this kind of a situation go on before you decide that
Iraq is not complying with the free access for U.N. inspectors?

A: You may recall that back in February I indicated that there were at
least two facets to cooperation on the part of the Iraqi government.
On the one hand they had to allow free and unfettered access to the
UNSCOM inspection teams. Secondly, they had an affirmative duty to
produce documentation as to their past activities. I believe that
Chairman Butler has done exactly the right thing by asking for the
production of these documents so that he and the other inspectors can
make a determination of what level and volume of chemical and
biological and indeed even nuclear materials Iraq had on hand prior to
the Gulf War in order to make a determination, according to their own
statements now which have changed several times, from denying they had
any such chemical or biological agents to an admission that they had
substantial volumes of it.

So what he is trying to determine is whether or not what the Iraqis
claim they have done has in fact been carried out.

When, for example, were these chemicals or biologicals destroyed?
Where, under what circumstances, what records were made of the
destruction efforts? All of that would be, I think, critically
important to determining whether or not the Iraqis in fact are
cooperating with UNSCOM so it can lead to a determination that they
are in compliance with the Security Council Resolutions.

I think this is one aspect of it. The inspections will need to
continue, and those inspections in combination with the production of
documents will be, in my judgment, evidence as to whether or not the
Iraqis intend to comply with their obligations or whether they intend
to resist them.

Q: They're saying they're not going to turn over those documents.

A: Well, they haven't quite said that yet. They had made a statement
that some of them don't exist and others aren't relevant, and others
have been destroyed. I think that we will have to continue to see the
insistence on the production of those documents and a clarification of
if documents were destroyed who destroyed them, under what
circumstances, when, where, etc.? I think a lot of questions have to
be asked and answered before there can be any resolution as to whether
or not they are "cooperating."

Q:...free and unfettered access, Mr. Secretary? It sounds as though
already you have not gained free and unfettered access. Documents is
part of that free and unfettered access, already they are not
complying. So already the United States... A week ago the U.S. said if
we don't get free and unfettered access we'll go back in.

A: There are two aspects to the free and unfettered, as you pointed
out, but the free and unfettered are consistent with the existing
resolutions and also with the memorandum of understanding negotiated
by Kofi Annan last February. That was one aspect in terms of where the
inspectors could go. The production of documents also is a part of it,
and as I indicated, that is of equal importance at least in my
judgment, in terms of whether or not they are fully cooperating.

To the extent that they fail to do that, and to the extent that they
limit the ability of the inspectors to go where they feel they have to
go to determine whether any such chemical or biological, indeed even
nuclear activity is taking place, then that would certainly manifest a
lack of intention to cooperate.

Q: Can Iraq violate both aspects? Are you saying...

A: A combination of either. I think we have to look at the full
spectrum of their level of cooperation. It could be the denial of
access to sites that they have already agreed that the UNSCOM
inspectors could have access to; it also could involve a failure to
produce documentation; or a combination of all of the above.

Q:...avoid air strikes simply by claiming that whatever documents the
U.N. wants don't exist or were lost?

A: I'm not going to comment on what would involve or precipitate air
strikes. I think it is up to Iraq to fully cooperate with UNSCOM. A
failure to do so certainly leaves open the option of whether or not
the President would order a military option in the future.

Q: On another subject, if I may. The German government is now pressing
that NATO make a major reversal of policy and declare no first use of
nuclear weapons. In connection with that, the New York Times is
reporting, the report's been around for a long time, the United States
would like, the U.S. military would like to unilaterally cut nuclear
weapons even if START II isn't approved because we simply can't afford
the budget crisis to maintain them.

I wonder if you'd comment on those two issues.

A: Since we have the new German Minister of Defense coming tomorrow
perhaps we could discuss the new German position as far as the
strategic doctrine is concerned for NATO. It is our position that this
doctrine is viable. It's something that is integral to the NATO
strategic doctrine. We think it makes sense and there's good rationale
for keeping it as it is. That we have reduced our nuclear stocks
rather dramatically, certainly at the theater level, and even at the
strategic level under START I, hopefully coming down to START II
levels as soon as the Russian Duma ratifies START II.

We think that the ambiguity involved in the issue of the use of
nuclear weapons contributes to our own security, keeping any potential
adversary who might use either chemical or biologicals unsure of what
our response would be.

So we think it's a sound doctrine. It was adopted certainly during the
Cold War, but modified even following and reaffirmed following at the
end of the Cold War. It is an integral part of our strategic concept
and we think it should remain exactly as it is.

With respect to the issue of nuclear levels, Congress of course has
mandated that we maintain our nuclear levels at the START I levels
until such time as the Russian Duma ratifies START II. We are,
pursuant to congressional direction at least, exploring a variety of
options which even according to the New York Times this morning, a
report that was filed with Congress last spring was "a highly
classified document." We intend to keep it at that level for the time
being.

Q: Do you personally believe that it would be viable to unilaterally
cut U.S. weapons given the budget constraints on the cost of
maintaining these thousands of...

A: As I've indicated before, it is costly to the United States to
maintain those levels. It is more costly to Russia to maintain those
levels. That is the reason why we have tried on each and every
occasion to persuade our Russian counterparts it's in their interest
as well as the United States to ratify START II as quickly as possible
so we can reduce the levels down to the START II levels and then move
on to START III.

Q: Have you or any other Pentagon official quietly recommended to the
administration that there be consideration of unilateral cuts as the
New York Times story reports?

A: I can't comment whether anyone has recommended such a proposal.
We're looking at a variety of options in terms of how we deal with the
issue of maintaining START I levels consistent with the congressional
mandate.

Q: One small question, going back to Iraq, the carrier battle group
ENTERPRISE is due in the Persian Gulf within the next 24 hours, there
to relieve the EISENHOWER, but there's going to be an overlap the way
it looks. Are you going to leave both carrier battle groups there for
the foreseeable future? If so, how long?

A: It's my intent at least at this point to have the normal rotation
of the EISENHOWER and the ENTERPRISE.

Press: Thank you very much, Mr. Secretary.

Capt. Doubleday: This is (Assistant) Secretary (of Defense for
International Security Affairs) Frank Kramer next.

Secretary Kramer: This really is to follow-on for any of you who would
like to have further questions. Charlie asked me specifically to do
this, so I thought I'd come up and do it.

Q: On the missile defense issue, essentially we've talked to the
Japanese for a couple of years now. Are we really any closer to
getting an agreement? And roughly what time frame are you now
projecting for...

A: The Japanese government has now said that they want to proceed
forward. We have to decide exactly what we're going to do together. So
what you've had is a decision announced publicly that they will want
to work forward on some aspects of research, and that's as far as
we've gone.

Our own programs, as you know, are as the Secretary said in a state of
review, so it's not as if they can't plausibly be involved.

Q: There's a Navy proposal for a theater wide issue. Initially at
least, a fairly low funding level, I think $15 million this year and
then $50 million next year. Are you basically endorsing that? What's
the thinking on that?