selected /Revisting.....

REVISITING "The True Situation Of Myanmar.... by  Dr. Tun Aye (Dentist),
MyanmarAssociation in Japan"

(1)  Who so ever should govern the country they will recognize as the
Government (in power) ..... is a view subscribed to by most Myanmar
citizens especially in the rural areas.
(Ref:  Win Naing; "Diary of My Travels In Myanmar", New Light of Myanmar,
11th. October, 1998. )
    IF YOU SAY SO. BUT HAVE YOU TALKED WITH SOLDIERS WHO VOTED FOR THE
NLD IN 1990?  WHAT ABOUT THE OPINION OF RURAL PEOPLE IN THE KARENNI,
KACHIN, SHAN,  KAREN, MON, RAKHINE, CHIN (ETC.) AREAS , AND ALSO THE
OPINIONS OF BURMAN VILLAGERS, MONKS, TEACHERS, LOW-RANKING CIVIL
SERVANTS, ORDINARY HOUSEWIVES, AND SO ON?
     THERE IS A VAST DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RECOGNITION AND FORCED
TOLERANCE OF A GOVERNMENT, OWING TO THE FACT THAT THE GOVERNMENT
USES COERCIVE METHODS TO HOLD ON TO POWER AND TO SILENCE THE VOICES
OF THE RULED (I.E., THE PEOPLE).  RECOGNITION IMPLIES, VERY CLEARLY,
HAPPY ACCEPTANCE AND FREE WILL.
   IF THE PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO GIVE VOICE FREELY TO HOW THEY
FEEL ABOUT A GOVERNMENT, IT IS DISHONEST AND SYCHOPHANTIC TO SAY
THAT THE GOVERNMENT IS "RECOGNIZED"  BY THE PEOPLE.

(2)  What the Myanmar people desire most is to live their daily lives and
earn their livelihood in peace more so than to talk about human rights,
democracy. What the ordinary citizen desires most is to prevent another
outbreak of political violence and unrest in the country (especially
anarchic conditions as in 1988)
(Ref:  Win Naing; "Diary of My Travels In Myanmar", New Light of Myanmar,
11th. October, 1998. )
    LET ME ASK,...WHY WAS THERE AN "OUTBREAK OF POLITICAL VIOLENCE AND
UNREST IN THE COUNTRY" IN 1988?. YOU KNOW THE REASON WHY. YOU ALSO
KNOW ALL TOO WELL WHO SHOT DOWN HUNDREDS, IF NOT THOUSANDS OF
PEACEFUL DEMONSTRATORS IN COLD BLOOD.  YOU ALSO KNOW WHO RELEASED
HUNDREDS OF HARDENED CRIMINALS FROM JAIL, PRECISELY TO CREATE
ANARCHY.

(3)  All Myanmar citizens share a common desire for a reduction in the
cost of living and an adequate supply electrical power.
(Ref:  Win Naing; "Diary of My Travels In Myanmar", New Light of Myanmar,
11th October, 1998. )
     THE HIGH COST OF LIVING IS DUE TO THE UNLAWFUL REGIME PRINTING
MORE, AND MORE KYAT NOTES, AND IT FISCAL POLICY WHICH DOESN'T MAKE
SENSE. INADEQUATE SUPPLY OF ELECTRICAL POWER IN BURMA IS NOT NEWS.  IT
MIGHT BE NEWS FOR MrR.WIN NAING.

(4)  Myanmar parents are all very anxious about their children's'
education. They yearn for the reopening of the institutes of learning and
the students themselves wish fervently to continue their studies in peace
 ..as I learnt during my stay in Myanmar.
(The Myanmar Government with a view towards the possible reopening of
schools conducted final examinations in August. I also learned that
arrangements are underway to facilitate the opening of the various
colleges and institutes. But there is one obstacle preventing the
reopening of higher education institutes. This, I found out was due to
the activities of the opposition groups within the country who are just
waiting for the schools to reopen so that they can exploit and use the
students in their subversive activities against the Government.)
(Ref:  Win Naing; "Diary of My Travels In Myanmar", New Light of Myanmar,
11th. October, 1998)
    WHAT IS "SUBVERSIVE ACTIVITIES AGAINST THE GOVERNMENT"? IN BURMA,
AS YOU KNOW, IT INCLUDES ANY ACTIVITIES THAT ORDINARY PEOPLE IN MOST
COUNTRIES DO IF THEY DONT LIKE WHAT THE GOVERNMENT DOES.
    IN NORMAL COUNTRIES, IT IS NORMAL FOR PEOPLE TO CRITICIZE THE
GOVERNMENT, TO WRITE CRITICAL LETTERS TO NEWSPAPERS (WHICH ARE FREE
TO PRINT THESE LETTERS AND ALSO CRITICAL ARTICLES), TO HOLD MEETINGS,
ATTEND RALLIES, SUPPORT THE OPPOSITION PARTY OR LEADER, VOTE THE
GOVERNMENT OUT, AND SO FORTH.
     THE FACT THAT THE MILITARY REGIME CONSIDERS NORMAL POLITICAL
ACTIVITIES AS SUBVERSIVE SHOWS VERY CLEARLY THAT THE REGIME IS
UNWANTED BY THE PEOPLE AND FEAR THE PEOPLE.  IT IS THE REGIME THAT
CONSIDERS THE PEOPLE ITS ENEMY -- AND THAT, MY FRIEND, IS WHAT IS
WRONG IN BURMA.

(5)  But, even Mr. Aung Than who said he is supporting Mrs. Suu Kyi in
his heart, told us "Most of the people are thinking that for lifting up
the Myanmar economy, investments and aid from foreign countries is
essential."
(Ref:  S.Takatsu: "Serious Electric Power Shortage In Myanmar", The
Yomiuri  Newspaper, 29th October, 1998)
    SURE, MR.TAKATSU, FOREIGN AID AND INVESTMENT IS ESSENTIAL FOR
LIFTING UP THE ECONOMY.  BUT THIS IS NEITHER HERE NOR THERE.
    THE ISSUE IS WHAT SORT OF GOVERNMENT IS IN POWER? HAS IT THE SUPPORT
OF THE PEOPLE?  IS IT RESPONSIBLE AND RESPONSIVE TO THE PEOPLE? DOES IT
OBEY THE LAWS OF THE LAND, OR EVEN ITS OWN LAW?
    THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE GOVERNMENT IS UNPOPULAR AND INSINCERE. IT
WANTS THE KIND OF FOREIGN INVESTMENT THAT TRICKLES UP INTO THE HANDS OF
TOP PEOPLE IN MILITARY UNIFORM. YOU KNOW THE STORY AND HAVE HEARD OF HOW
GENERALS HAVE ACCUMMULATED MILLIONS JUST BY BEING GENERALS AND MINISTERS.
NO CAPITAL,  EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, OR HARD WORK NEEDED. HAVING GUNS IS
ALL THAT IT TAKES....HOW COOL.
    THE REGIME, OF COURSE, DO WANT FOREIGN AID, ESPECIALLY THE KIND
GIVEN TO GOVERNMENTS. THIS IS OKAY WHEN THE GOVERNMENT RULES WITH
THE CONSENT OF THE PEOPLE.  BUT WHERE THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE
PEOPLE AND IS IN TURN HATED BY THE PEOPLE, FOREIGN AID HELPS THE
GOVERNMENT KILL AND FURTHER ENSLAVE ITS OWN PEOPLE.

(6)  Time of electric power supply stop came, all lights in Mr. Aung
Than's office went off. In darkness, he murmured "Now, only thing we
think everyday is about electric power and water supply. Not about
politics."
(Ref:  S.Takatsu: "Serious Electric Power Shortage In Myanmar", The
Yomiuri  Newspaper,  29th October, 1998 )
    MR.AUNG THAN IS FORTUNATE THAT HE ENJOYS THE LUXURY OF WORRYING
ONLY ABOUT ELECTRIC POWER AND WATER SUPPLY. HE IS A BLESSED MAN --
BLESSED BY MEN IN UNIFORM.
    BUT THE MAJORITY OF THE PEOPLE HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT POLITICS
BECAUSE THE REGIME'S POLITICS HAVE KEPT THEM POOR, CREATED INFLATION,
MADE LIFE INSECURE AND DANGEROUS (PARTICULARLY FOR THE ETHNIC
NATIONALITIES), AND TRANSFORMED MEN IN UNIFORM INTO WILFUL AND
CAPRICIOUS TYRANTS IN EVERY SPHERE OF LIFE.

(7)  While both sides are running parallel about the result of the
General Election in 1990, the feeling of "Fed up with the confrontation"
started to arise among the people.
(Ref:  K. Noma: "The Myanmar People Get Tired With Confrontation", The
Nikkei Newspaper, 20th October, 1998)
    RATHER THAN BEING FED UP WITH "THE CONFRONTATION", THE PEOPLE ARE
FED UP WITH THE ILLEGAL,  UNLAWFUL, LAWLESS REGIME.
    WHAT IN HEAVEN DOES DOES "BOTH SIDES ARE RUNNING PARALLEL ABOUT
THE RESULT OF THE GENERAL ECLECTION IN 1990" MEANS?

(8)  On 12 and 13 of this month, Japan, America and European countries
held an unofficial meeting about the sanction to Myanmar at Kent, U.K .
Content of the meeting is unknown, but it is said that there were
opinions of "Sanction is necessary"(U.K), but at the same time, there
were different opinions "Sanction will only make them isolate. Economic
development is essential to realize democracy and should lift the
sanction and promote to open market."
(Ref:  K. Noma: "The Myanmar People Get Tired With Confrontation", The
Nikkei Newspaper, 20th October, 1998)
    MAYBE DEMOCRACY IS ESSENTIAL FOR ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT (REAL
DEVELOPMENT), INSTEAD OF THE OTHER WAY ROUND.  IT ALSO DEPENDS ON
HOW ONE DEFINES "ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT". ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT IN
AND BY ITSELF DOES NOT BRING DEMOCRACY.

(9)  I would like to recount to you, the two main facts which I learned
while in Myanmar, from 20th..August to 19th. September,1998.One--The
position of the Myanmar Government is that the Myanmar people themselves
should solve their internal problems with mutual understanding,
confidence and respect for one another. Two--Provided the NLD will relax
its present rigid stand and be more flexible, the present Myanmar
Government is fully ready and willing to work together with the NLD for
the good of the country.
(Ref: Win Naing; "Comment of Dr. Win Naing", The conference, sponsored by
Christian Aid and Burma Action Group(BAG), on the 15th. October 1998 in
Regent  College, London.)
    THE KEY QUESTION IS : DOES THE JUNTA RECOGNIZE THE RESULT OF THE
1990 ELECTIONS WHICH THE MILITARY AGREED TO AND SUPERVISED? REMEMBER WHAT
GENERAL SAW MAUNG'S PROMISED?
      IF THE MEN IN UNIFORM RECOGNIZES THE 1990 ELECTIONS -- WHICH
REPRESENTS THE DECISION OF THE BURMESE PEOPLE, NO FOREIGNERS WERE
INVOLVED -- THERE IS A LOT OF ROOM FOR WORKING TOGETHER FOR THE GOOD OF
THE COUNTRY, INCLUDING FOR THE GOOD OF THE MILITARY. THE PROBLEM IS THAT
THE MEN IN UNIFORM DO NOT RESPECT THE BURMESE PEOPLE AND THE LEADERS THEY
ELECTED.

(10)  I would like to express my own opinion to you all that those who
are interested in Myanmar affairs should not only request the Myanmar
Government but also the NLD, to engage in a more moderate and flexible
policy in order to relieve the political tension in Myanmar.
(Ref: Win Naing; "Comment of Dr. Win Naing",  The conference, sponsored
by Christian Aid and Burma Action Group(BAG), on  the 15th. October 1998
in Regent College, London.)
     MR.WIN NAING, DO YOU RECOGNIZE THE RESULT OF THE 1990 ELECTIONS?
SURELY YOU DO (AND I BELIEVE YOU FIRMLY DID). SO WHY NOT PERSUADE
YOUR NEW PATRONS IN UNIFORM TO DO LIKEWISE?.

(11) A federal court judge here has ruled that a Massachusetts law
barring state contracts with companies that do business in Myanmar is
unconstitutional. U.S. District Judge Joseph Tauro, ruled Wednesday that
"the Massachusetts Burma(Myanmar) Law is an unconstitutional infringement
of federal government's power over foreign affairs.
(Ref: "Court rules Massachusetts law is unconstitutional";Boston(AFP) ;
5th Nov., 1998)
    THIS IS NOT YET THE END OF THE STORY. BUT THIS RULING IS NOT ABOUT
BURMA PER SE, BUT ABOUT POWER JURISDICTION IN A FEDERAL UNION, WHICH
THE UNITED STATES IS.