The True Situation Of Myanmar

"The True Situation Of Myanmar"
 .... by  Dr. Tun Aye (Dentist),  Myanmar Association in Japan, JAPAN

(1)  Who so ever should govern the country they will recognize as the
Government (in power) ..... is a view subscribed to by most Myanmar
citizens especially in the rural areas.
 (Ref:  Win Naing; "Diary of My Travels In Myanmar" , New Light of
          Myanmar, 11th. October ,1998. )

(2)  What the Myanmar people desire most is to live their daily lives
and earn their livelihood in peace more so than to talk about human
rights, democracy. What the ordinary citizen desires most is to prevent
another outbreak of political violence and unrest in the country
(especially anarchic conditions as in 1988)
 (Ref:  Win Naing; "Diary of My Travels In Myanmar" , New Light of
        Myanmar, 11th. October ,1998. )

(3)  All Myanmar citizens share a common desire for a reduction in the
cost of living and an adequate supply electrical power.
 (Ref:  Win Naing; "Diary of My Travels In Myanmar" , New Light of
        Myanmar, 11th. October ,1998. )

(4)  Myanmar parents are all very anxious about their children's'
education. They yearn for the reopening of the institutes of learning
and the students themselves wish fervently to continue their studies in
peace ..as I learnt during my stay in Myanmar.
 (The Myanmar Government with a view towards the possible reopening of
schools conducted final examinations in August. I also learned that
arrangements are underway to facilitate the opening of the various
colleges and institutes. But there is one obstacle preventing the
reopening of higher education institutes. This, I found out was due to
the activities of the opposition groups within the country who are just
waiting for the schools to reopen so that they can exploit and use the
students in their subversive activities against the Government.)
 (Ref:  Win Naing; "Diary of My Travels In Myanmar" , New Light of
       Myanmar, 11th. October ,1998. )

(5)  But, even Mr. Aung Than who said he is supporting Mrs. Suu Kyi in
his heart, told us "Most of the people are thinking that for lifting up
the Myanmar economy, investments and aid from foreign countries is
essential."
 ( Ref:  S.Takatsu: "Serious Electric Power Shortage In Myanmar", The
        Yomiuri  Newspaper, 29th.October, 1998 )

(6)  Time of electric power supply stop came, all lights in Mr. Aung
Than's office went off. In darkness, he murmured "Now, only thing we
think everyday is about electric power and water supply. Not about
politics."
 ( Ref:  S.Takatsu: "Serious Electric Power Shortage In Myanmar", The
          Yomiuri  Newspaper,  29th. October, 1998 )

(7)  While both sides are running parallel about the result of the
General Election in 1990, the feeling of "Fed up with the confrontation"
started to arise among the people.
 ( Ref:  K. Noma: "The Myanmar People Get Tired With Confrontation",
        The Nikkei Newspaper, 20th. October, 1998 )

(8)  On 12 and 13 of this month, Japan, America and European countries
held an unofficial meeting about the sanction to Myanmar at Kent, U.K .
Content of the meeting is unknown, but it is said that there were
opinions of "Sanction is necessary"(U.K), but at the same time, there
were different opinions "Sanction will only make them isolate. Economic
development is essential to realize democracy and should lift the
sanction and promote to open market."
 ( Ref:  K. Noma: "The Myanmar People Get Tired With Confrontation",
        The Nikkei Newspaper, 20th. October, 1998 )

(9)  I would like to recount to you, the two main facts which I learned
while in Myanmar, from 20th..August to 19th. September,1998.One--The
position of the Myanmar Government is that the Myanmar people themselves
should solve their internal problems with mutual   understanding,
confidence and respect for one another. Two--Provided the NLD will relax
its present rigid stand and be more flexible, the present Myanmar
Government is fully ready and willing to work together with the NLD for
the good of the country.
   ( Ref: Win Naing; "Comment of Dr. Win Naing", The conference,
         sponsored by Christian Aid and Burma Action Group(BAG), on
         the 15th. October 1998 in Regent  College, London.)

(10)  I would like to express my own opinion to you all that those who
are interested in Myanmar affairs should not only request the Myanmar
Government but also the NLD, to engage in a more moderate and flexible
policy in order to relieve the political tension in Myanmar.
    ( Ref: Win Naing; "Comment of Dr. Win Naing",  The conference,
         sponsored by Christian Aid and Burma Action Group(BAG), on
         the 15th. October 1998 in Regent  College, London.)

(11) A federal court judge here has ruled that a Massachusetts law
barring
 state contracts with companies that do business in Myanmar is
 unconstitutional. U.S. District Judge Joseph Tauro, ruled Wednesday
 that "the Massachusetts Burma(Myanmar) Law is an unconstitutional
 infringement of federal government's power over foreign affairs.
    ( Ref:  "Court rules Massachusetts law is unconstitutional";
            Boston(AFP) ; 5th.Nov , 1998. )

                   Myanmar Association in Japan( MAIJ)
                   557-27, Sanada, Hiratsuka-shi,
                   Kanagawa-ken,259-1206, Japan