Nation: Thailand conveys conc

Subject: Nation:       Thailand conveys concern over Malaysian  situation

Politics

      Thailand conveys
      concern over Malaysian
      situation

      THAILAND has conveyed its concern about
      the political tension in Malaysia to Kuala
      Lumpur, Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai
      said Tuesday.

      Chuan said that the concern was
      expressed in a quiet and frank manner in
      order to avoid embarrassing the neighbour.
      ''It's no use voicing our concern through the
      public; this could harm the reputation of
      Malaysia as our good neighbour,'' he
      added.

      Chuan said he believed that Malaysian
      Premier Mahathir Mohamad, as host to the
      Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation
      summit next month, would not allow the
      subject to surface at the international meet.

      Thailand was the first Asean country to
      react to the political tension in Malaysia
      following the sacking and detaining of
      Anwar Ibrahim over corruption and sodomy
      charges. But the Thai reaction was low-key.

      Philippines President Joseph Estrada and
      Indonesian President B J Habibie had
      strongly voiced their concern in public about
      the ill-treatment of Anwar and indicated that
      they may not attend the Apec meet unless
      the Anwar case is properly addressed.
      Estrada, however, might meet Mahathir.