White Ribbon Campaign

WHITE RIBBON CAMPAIGN

Background
Started in Canada in 1991, the White Ribbon Campaign is the largest effort
in the world of men working to end men's violence against women. Our
approach is simple: we believe that, although most are not violent against
women, most men have been silent about that violence. And, through that
silence, we've allowed the violence to continue. We believe it is critical
for all good and caring men to speak out against the violence, and for all
of us to think about our behaviour and attitudes. In other words, we do not
think that most men are responsible for violence but we believe that all men
should take some responsibility for helping bring it to an end.

Our principal work is as an awareness and education campaign that seeks to
involve as many men and boys as possible:

Awareness
We conduct annual campaigns (for example, in Canada in early December, and
in Norway and Australia to coincide with their Fathers' Day) during which
we encourage men and boys to wear a white ribbon. Wearing such a ribbon is
a public pledge never to commit, condone, or remain silent about violence
against women. It is a catalyst for discussion among men.

Education
We have developed an education and action kit for use in schools for young
people aged 14-19. It contains information and educational exercises to
raise awareness and understanding of violence issues and their underlying
causes. As well, some of us go to workplaces, communities, and schools to
talk about the problem of men's violence against women. We publish articles,
flyers aimed at men, a newsletter, and, in the future, we plan to prepare
other education kits aimed at other age groups.

Fundraising
As part of our awareness and education campaigns we have recently begun
fundraising for women's groups whose work involves dealing with the
consequences of men's violence against women.

Policy
We comment on issues of the day and make recommendations on public policy
issues in order to provide a men's voice on issues that relate directly to
violence against women.

Involvement
We seek to involve men and boys from across the social spectrum. We work
closely with both corporations and trade unions, with places of worship,
with schools and universities, with men's service clubs and sports
associations, and with various levels of government. We see all these as
organizations and institutions that can get an anti-violence message to
millions of men and boys. We do not seek to build a large administrative
bureaucracy, but rather see ourselves as catalysts to get men and boys
involved in awareness, education, and advocacy within their own
workplaces, schools, and communities.

To this end we are strictly non-partisan and welcome men from across the
political spectrum.

International
We are now working with men and women like ourselves to help start similar
campaigns around the world. Unfortunately, we do not have financial
resources to support other groups (at present we have only a 4 person staff
for all our Canadian and worldwide activities). We will, however, do
whatever we can to help. We are currently developing some sort of
accreditation process so that groups around the world will have a common
approach and basis of unity. This is still several months away, but in the
meantime, we will not wait for it in helping other groups to get going.

We are instituting a International Board of Advisors.  This is a volunteer
group that is responsible for communication between among national
campaigns. In the future we hope that persons will be elected from
regional White Ribbon groups.

We encourage peoples in all parts of the world to discuss the development
of a local White Ribbon Campaign groups among themselves. We would
appreciate local groups letting us know their plans and proposals. We will
provide as much support as we can.

Contact
More information is available from our web site (www.whiteribbon.ca) or from
our home office in Canada (e-mail: whiterib@xxxxxxxxxxx, tel 416-920-6684,
fax: 416-920-1678, mail: 365 Bloor St. E, suite 1600, Toronto M4W 3L4).