Estrada aims to treat Malaysia with

Subject: Estrada aims to treat Malaysia with kid gloves to repair strained

ties
To: burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx

		Politics

Estrada aims to treat Malaysia with kid gloves to repair strained ties

MANILA -- President Joseph Estrada has agreed to ease criticism of Malaysia
over its treatment of detained former deputy premier Anwar Ibrahim in a
move to repair strained diplomatic ties.

Estrada made the decision after meeting late on Tuesday with former
president Fidel Ramos, who cautioned him over possible fallout from his
statements of support for Anwar.

The meeting was brokered by Foreign Secretary Domingo Siazon, who was
caught amid tensions between the Southeast Asian neighbours. Malaysian
counterpart Abdullah Ahmad Badawi telephoned Siazon this week to express
unease over Estrada's comments.

''I have already expressed my feelings, and I think that's enough,''
Estrada told reporters after the meeting.

During the meeting, Ramos was reported by newspapers to have reminded
Estrada of the need to think of the 300,000-plus Filipinos working in
Malaysia, most of them illegals, and 683 Filipinos in Malaysian prisons.

The Philippine foreign department cautioned Estrada on the effects of
tension with Malaysia on the unity of the Association of Southeast Asian
Nations (Asean).

''I have to follow the advice of the [former] president to go slow, and we
have to be friendly with Malaysia,'' Estrada said, adding that Ramos made
him realise ''I still have so many things to learn'' as president.

However, Estrada insisted that ''I am not wavering in my support for Anwar.
I still sympathise with him,'' adding that ''everyone should be given due
process of law''.

Leaders of the Philippine House of Representatives also said they would ask
Malaysia's consent for the plan of some local congressmen to visit Malaysia
in order to monitor the trial of Anwar.

Chairman of the house committee on foreign affairs Luwalhati Antonino said
they would ask Philippine diplomats to see if an ''invitation'' could be
extended to give the planned visit an official link.

Some of the 14 congressmen have said they will go even without consent.
Estrada broke an Asean taboo when he publicly expressed support for Anwar
and concern over his arrest and detention under Malaysia's tough Internal
Security Act.

Estrada once said he was considering boycotting an Asia-Pacific leaders'
summit in Malaysia next month. He also met Anwar's daughter in Manila.
Indonesia's President B J Habibie also cancelled a visit to Malaysia this
month and threatened to skip the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec)
forum leaders' summit.

Estrada reiterated that he would attend Apec. But he emphasised he had no
meeting scheduled with Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad aside from
Apec affairs.

Malaysia's foreign minister called Siazon and Indonesian Foreign Minister
Ali Alatas over their leaders' criticism of Prime Minister Mahathir.

Although Estrada has said his actions were done in his private capacity,
his comments threatened to chill ties warmed by an exchange of visits
between Mahathir and Ramos since 1992.

In the 1960s, the neighbours were involved in tension over the east
Malaysian state of Sabah, which the Philippines claims was legally owned by
a Filipino sultan.

A defence cooperation meeting scheduled for Oct 28 was postponed, leading
to speculation this was in retaliation for Estrada's remarks. However the
meeting has been reset for Nov 8-10 in Manila.

Malaysians staged a demonstration on Tuesday outside the Philippine Embassy
in Kuala Lumpur criticising Estrada's ''interference'' in internal affairs.

The foreign secretary said in a memorandum to Estrada that ''it is not in
the interest of Philippine-Malaysia relations and of Asean solidarity to
bring our concern over Anwar Ibrahim to extremes''.

Agence France-Presse