Mahathir says Malaysia is calm, don

Subject: Mahathir says Malaysia is calm, don't believe CNN, CNBC

Mahathir says Malaysia is calm, don't believe CNN, CNBC
posted at 10:35 hrs (Bangkok time)

TOKYO, Oct 20 -- Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad on Tuesday
insisted his country was calm despite the jailing of his ex-deputy and told
people not to believe US news networks CNN and CNBC.

''Although there is some political problem arising from the dismissal of
the deputy prime minister and his being charged in court for a number of
offences, the country is generally calm,'' he told a seminar in Tokyo.

''The attempt by the followers of the former deputy prime minister to
resort to mob rule to achieve his release is not working,'' Mahathir said.

''The people still adhere to the rule of law and to democracy. They reject
mob rule totally.''

The alleged mistreatment by police of ousted deputy premier Anwar Ibrahim
since his arrest in September has drawn widespread condemnation. Anwar
denies charges of corruption and sodomy.
In what has become a weekly affair, some 10,000 of Anwar's supporters
gathered in central Kuala Lumpur Saturday calling on Mahathir to resign.

But Mahathir said things were not so bad.

''I would like to invite Japanese journalists to come to Malaysia and see
things for themselves,'' he said. ''Do not trust CNN or CNBC. They have a
different agenda and they tell lies in order to promote their agenda.''

Mahathir, who also levelled his customary attack against currency traders
as greedy speculators who bring down unsuspecting economies, said CNN and
CNBC were also ''motivated by greed and the power they wield has corrupted
them absolutely.''

The premier, on the last day of a five-day visit to Japan, told a seminar
on Asia's economic recovery that Malaysia was settling down although ''we
are not out of the woods yet.''

''Our detractors have done their best to undermine the country,'' he said.

''I believe the Japanese people believe there is continuous rioting in
Malaysia and is a dangerous place to go. I would like to assure you that
Malaysia is as safe as ever.'' (AFP)