changes to BurmaNet

Dear burmanet-l subscribers,

After repeated requests to refrain from objectionable postings, we at
BurmaNet have decided to start monitoring the messages sent out over the
list.  Guidelines for submissions appear below.  We will continue to
provide this listserver and welcome a wide range of postings.

Since its inception, burmanet-l has provided an open forum for subscribers
to freely express their opinions, analyses, and ideas to an audience of
interested people.  With that freedom comes the responsibility to respect
others' rights, including the right to privacy and to be protected from
slander.  On 22 July, 1998 we sent a message to the list warning that if
the personal attacks and profane language continued, we would start
monitoring the list.  Recent postings have forced our hand, and as of today
all messages sent to the list will be distributed only after approval by
the BurmaNet staff.

Messages cannot contain personal attacks and should be free of profane
language.  Constructive criticism is welcomed, and respectful debates and
exchanges are encouraged.

The processes of posting and receiving messages has not changed from a
subscriber perspective, but there will be a slight delay in the
distribution of messages.

To make this adjustment, we have had to discontinue postings on burmanet-l
for a brief period.  We will send out a notice when the system is once
again functional.

BurmaNet Editor