Information Sheet No.A-0654(I)

 MYANMAR INFORMATION COMMITTEE
                                                         YANGON

                             No.A-0654(I)                              19th
October 1998

(1)	A Total of 360,000 Acres to Be Placed Under Beans and Pulses in Yangon
Division
	Dallakyun area is to be designated as beans and pulses cultivation extension
zone with a view to extending beans and pulses cultivation in such townships
from Dallakyun area of Yangon South District as Dalla, Twantay, Kawhmu and
Kwangyangon. Beans and pulses were cultivated on 310,000 acres in Yangon
Division last year, and over 250,000 acres could be put under beans and pulses
in the eastern part of Yangon South District, but in Dallagyun area, only
5,000 acres could be placed under beans and pulses. This year, over 30,000
acres will be extended for cultivation of beans and pulses and a total of
35,000 acres are targetted to be placed under beans and pulses in Dallakyun
area. Beans and pulses were cultivated on 310,000 acres in Yangon Division
last year, and this year, 50,000 acres are targetted to be extended, and a
total of 360,000 acres will be put under beans and pulses.

(2)	339 Gem Merchants Arrive for Emporium

	Altogether 221 gem merchants from 133 companies of 13 countries and 118 gem
merchants of 55 local companies arrived Yangon on 18 October. They inspected
display of Mid-year Myanma Gems Emporium from 9 am to 5 pm. Secretary of
Myanma Gems Emporium Central Committee Managing Director of Myanma Gems
Enterprise and officials conducted them round the emporium. Jade lots will be
sold from 9 am to 5 pm on 20 October under tender system and competitive
bidding.

(3)	Depawali Festival to Be Held
	Depawali festival sponsored by All Myanmar Hindu Religious Central
Association will be held at the National Theatre on Myoma Kyaung Road, Yangon
at 3.30 pm on 25 October. General Secretary of All Myanmar Hindu Religious
Central Association gave a radio talk on Depawali on the morning Myanmar-
Language programme of Radio Myanmar on 19 October.
Special Feature
		This office is presenting an open letter from Myanmar Embassy in Washington
D.C.  to
Mr Derek Fatchett, MP, Foreign Office Minister of State of Britain  for your
information.
Dear Mr. Fatchett,
	I find your statement to the Christian Aid / Burma Action Conference on Burma
at Regent's College, London unprofessional.  I say this more in sorrow than in
anger because your thoughtless remarks reveal your singular lack of
understanding of the situation in Myanmar as well as your gullibility.
	Who cannot, save those prejudiced few, fathom that something must be terribly
wrong when you deem it proper to applaud the British Ambassador in Yangon for
seeing Aung San Suu Kyi over eighty times ?  Surely, you and the British
Foreign Office have not lost your sense of proportionality nor abandoned the
principal objective of diplomacy to promote good relations between the sending
state and the receiving state.
	The world now knows what we in Myanmar have suspected for years; The British
are infatuated with Aung San Suu Kyi and are willing to promote her at any
cost.
	Consider if you will that it is the present government that has abandoned the
single party system in favour of a multiparty system and opted for a market
economy over the centrally-planned economic system.  It is also this
government that has created conditions that make it possible for our prodigal
sons to return to the fold.  I am sure even you will agree that the return to
the fold of 17 armed groups is no mean achievement.
	No, it is not the State Peace and Development Council that has " rudely
dismissed" the hand of partnership.  If you care to check, you will find that
the government has not been unwilling to extend the olive branch to the NLD.
It is the NLD that has spurned the government's offer to meet and it is Aung
San Suu Kyi who seeks to confront the authorities at every turn. She cannot
hope to assume the mantle of a true Myanmar leader unless she is willing to
shed her aggressiveness and place the good of her fellow countrymen before
personal aggrandizement. A sine qua non for her to be able to play a
constructive role in Myanmar, is that she must resurrect herself a Myanmar, in
body and soul. There can be no two ways about it.
	Callous, country-wide human rights abuse? Allegations abound mainly because
of the fodder fed into the Internet by armed expatriate groups and those who
have an axe to grind. But those who know Myanmar well and are not gullible,
will find that the allegations of widespread human rights abuse have never
been substantiated.
	In fact the steady stream of visitors to Myanmar gives the lie to the
allegations that basic human needs as well as basic human rights are denied
its citizens. Tourists and businessmen alike are invariably awe-struck once
they set foot in the country -- not because of the charm of the people or the
legendary beauty of the country, though they are considerable, but because of
the realization that they have been duped by expatriate groups and the western
media to believe that things are terribly wrong in Myanmar. In criss-crossing
the country they quickly come to realize that Myanmar is a developing country
like no other. It is peaceful and tranquil and safe to venture out even late
at night. Above-all, it is a predominantly Buddhist country where people are
imbued with a spirit of tolerance and where traditions and culture ensure
respect for the rights of fellow human-beings, regardless of creed, colour or
religion. So much so that Madame Sadako Ogata, the United Nations High
Commissioner for Refugees who visited the country as a representative of the
Geneva-based Human Rights Commission, was moved to state that religious
tolerance is so high in Myanmar, that  in this regard it can be considered a
model society. It is hardly possible that in such a cultured society, there
exists a pattern of gross human rights abuse, as alleged.
	If the British Government decides to impose sanctions on Myanmar, it will
merely be following down the infamous path laid down by the Americans. No
amount of pressure can bring a people who value freedom and liberty over
worldly goods and life to their knees. Moreover, sanctions are not only blunt
but immoral. Sanctions invariably hurt the poorest segment of the population,
not  least the infants, the sick and the elderly among them.
	What right do " human rights activists " have to deprive an entire nation of
its right to development ? Who is Aung San Suu Kyi to think that she has the
divine right to call on foreign nations to disinvest in Myanmar and to
discourage tourists from visiting Myanmar. Is she fearful that more and more
people will discover the truth and that her bluff will be called ? Such words
as, open society, democracy and human rights will remain just words unless
people in responsible positions are willing to remove their blinders.
	That Myanmar has adopted a market-oriented policy, that it encourages foreign
direct investment and that it welcomes foreign tourists, speaks volumes for
its readiness to let the visitors judge for themselves. Are there tanks in
every street corner ? Are the smiles on the faces of Myanmar citizens painted
on by the authorities ?
	Myanmar today is seeking its own equilibrium in order to propel it into the
ranks of the developed countries in the shortest possible period. At this
juncture, no amount of pressure from the UK, the EU or the UN will deter it
from its chosen path. In the circumstance, your threat to dislodge Myanmar
from the ILO simply rings hollow. If you should decide to single out Myanmar
and carry out the threat, I am confident that those who stand for justice and
human rights will not allow such tyranny to prevail.
	The people of Myanmar who for decades suffered under the yoke of colonialism
have a long memory and recall with distaste the abhorrent British policy of
divide and rule. We are resolved never again to allow history to repeat itself
and we will not brook any fresh attempt to drive a wedge between us.
	Myanmar does not seek the cold isolation. Myanmar seeks the warmth of
international co-operation but one without strings. At the very least, we must
be given the opportunity to fashion our own destiny in our way. That is our
inalienable right.

Tin Winn
Ambassador,
Embassy of the Union of Myanmar,