NLD Statement 88 in English

National League for Democracy
No: (97/b) West Shwegondine Road
Bahan, Rangoon

STATEMENT 88 (10/98)

Contents of the letter dated 15 October 1998 from the Chairman of the
National League for Democracy to the State Peace and Development Council
is reproduced below for information.

(f) " Subject- Activities that violate our culture

1. Members of the National League for Democracy are citizens of the
Union belonging to the different ethnic groups. This also is true of the
armed forces including the military  intelligence units.
2. Every person in society has and observes its own culture as far as
possible. It is necessary that this culture be preserved and not
violated in a civilised world by well-bred people.
3. Some members of the military intelligence units are today flagrantly
violating the dignity of young female members of the NLD in the Bahan
township on Shwegondine Road by their actions and words on motor
vehicles and on the public thoroughfare. Their lawless activities
indicate that they have no fellow feeling whatsoever and this might
reach a point where there will be public outcry and disturbance. Should
this stage be reached it will be the entire responsibility of the
persons violating the dignity and culture of our society.
4. We urge the higher authorities to take rigorous measures against
those personnel of the military intelligence who are indulging in such
depraved and lawless activities which violate the dignity and culture of
our society.

The Central Executive Committee
National League for Democracy

Rangoon