BBC-East Asia Today -October 15th 1

East Asia Today -October 15th 1998

British Government Puts Pressure on Burma with Threats of Strengthened
Sanctions

The British government is stepping up pressure on Burma's military rulers
in a new attempt to encourage the regime to respect democracy and human
rights. The UK wants to have Burma's membership of the International Labour
Organisation revoked - and it plans to strengthen European Union sanctions
against Rangoon in the next few weeks. The British Foreign Office Minister
Derek Fatchett announced these measures during a speech opening a
conference on Burma in London, organised by the British charity Christian
Aid and pro-democracy activists. The BBC's Larry Jagan asked Derek Fatchett
what measures Britain would be recommending to other EU countries:

Derek Fatchett: We would like to see our European Union partners take more
effective action. First of all they could do unilaterally what the United
Kingdom has already done and that is to discourage trade and investment and
not to use their tax payers' money for that purpose. Secondly, we would
like to see a toughening of the common European Union position on issues
like transit visas on the supply of services to Burma, so we have a tougher
position in that respect. Thirdly we would wish to see a very fundamental
question asked about Burma's continued membership of the International
Labour Organisation. The ILO said that Burma has to improve its record on a
number of issues over the next three months. If they do not do so the
United Kingdom will seek Burma's expulsion from the International Labour
Organisation. So working with other countries we hope to toughen up the
pressure on the Burmese regime. All of this is designed to get a dialogue
going.

Larry Jagan: If Burma doesn't comply with the International Labour
Organisation's deadline of a few more months' time to end forced labour and
improve labour conditions within Burma, is the British government going to
pursue a policy of expelling them?

Derek Fatchett: Yes, we will seek their expulsion. We are a member of the
management committee and we will use our voice to seek the expulsion of
Burma. We feel that Burma in the present conditions, under the present
regime, is not fit to be a member of the ILO if it is in such clear
violation.

Larry Jagan: How optimistic are you that you will be able to push this
through?

Derek Fatchett: I think for the integrity of the ILO we are bound to get
support because the ILO is an organisation that is charged with improving
labour practice, and maintaining decency standards. It is clear that Burma
is in violation of those practices and standards, and for that reason I
think we will gain unanimous support from other countries.

Larry Jagan: The other way in which the international community has put
pressure on Burma is through the UN and it is now time again for the annual
resolution on Burma. Is there any way that Britain is going to be able to
strengthen that resolution?

Derek Fatchett: I think the resolution will be tough. It's been tough in
recent years and will be as tough. The message to the regime in Rangoon is
that no country is weakening in its resolve - indeed it is strengthening
its resolve to take the appropriate action and to work together with other
members of the international community. We would hope also that the message
goes very clearly not just in a negative way but in a positive way to those
in control in Rangoon. They should understand that in order to make
progress and in order to come back into the international community there
have to be political and economic reforms. The United Nations, through the
Secretary General, are offering to help in that process. Assistant General
Secretary De Soto wishes to visit Rangoon and talk to the regime and to
look for ways in which the United Nations can play a role in getting a
dialogue going internally within Burma. I would say to the regime that
instead of being ostracised and outside the international community, open
up the door and allow Assistant General Secretary De Soto to visit.

Larry Jagan: There have been these sorts of UN resolutions now for nearly
ten years. There have been forms of sanctions against Burma, some of which
have been strengthened. During that time there is little evidence that the
government in Rangoon has taken any notice. They haven't actually made any
concessions. How can you be optimistic that strengthening these sorts of
measures is actually going to bring dialogue between Aung San Su Kyi and
the Rangoon government?

Derek Fatchett: There were those around in the apartheid days in South
Africa who have said, "well, we have looked at sanctions and they don't
work", or "we shouldn't have sanctions". In the end we got a new South
Africa, and sanctions were a part of the process that led to a new South
Africa. You needed to have determination. You needed to have conviction
about what you were doing. That was true in South Africa. It is true in the
case of Burma. We shall continue down the road that we have taken because
that is the only road that leads to freedom, democracy and prosperity for
the people of Burma. We take this decision, this path, because we are
friends of the Burmese people and it is important that we continue to show
our support for them by putting whatever pressure we can on the regime to
get the change that is so essential for Burma's prosperity, stability and
the respect for human rights.