Information Sheet A-0646 (I)

                                       MYANMAR INFORMATION COMMITTEE
                                                               YANGON

                                                       Information    Sheet

                                            A-0646 (I)
(12-10-98)

(1) 		Myanmar Delegation Back from 53rd Annual Conference of WB and IMF
		Myanmar delegation led by Minister for Finance and Revenue arrived back
Yangon by air on 11 October after attending the 53rd Annual Conference of the
World Bank and the International Monetary Fund in Washington DC. The 3-8
October 53rd Annual Conference of WB and IMF at Mariott Wardman Park Hotel was
attended by finance ministers, governors, representatives and guests of 182
member nations. Minister  made a speech on 7 October. He spoke at length the
current economic and financial affairs and financial issues in South-East
Asia. The minister also attended the meeting of ASEAN finance ministers in
Washington DC on 4 October, in which he participated in the discussions on
financial cooperation among ASEAN nations. On 4 October, Myanmar delegation
called on the Vice-Governor of WB and senior officials at the WB Head Office.
The Minister also had separate meetings with the chairman of Yasuda Fire and
Marine Insurance Co of Japan, the managing director of Bank of Tokyo
Mitsubishi of Japan, the chairman of Mitsui Marine and Fire Insurance Co, and
the director of Daewoo Corporation of the Republic of Korea. Together with
Myanmar Ambassador to the United States U Tin Win, the minister and party met
with industrialists and entrepreneurs of the US.  Minister explained economic
development and undertakings in Myanmar.

(2)		Myanmar Delegation Arrives Back after Attending 30th ASEAN Economic
	Ministers Meeting

		Minister at the Office of the Chairman of State Peace and Development
Council Brig-Gen Abel arrived back Yangon by air on 11 October evening from
the Philippines after attending the Eighth Ministerial Level Economic
Cooperation Meeting of six countries in Mekong Region held on 2 October and
the 30th ASEAN Economic Ministers Meeting held from 6 to 8 October in Manila.

(3)		Myanmar Delegation Arrives Back from Geneva

		Myanmar delegation led by Deputy Minister for Immigration and Population
arrived back Yangon on 11October after attending the meeting held at the
office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees in Geneva from 2
to 9 October.

                                    Special Feature

                            (Continuation of Yesterday)

		This office is presenting an article entitled " Do you really love? "
written by Dr Mya Mya Win for your reading pleasure. She is Chairperson of the
Burmese Association in Japan (BAIJ) which is a non-governmental organization
based Japan and opposed the Myanmar Government in the past. Chairperson Dr.
Mya Mya Win, Vice-Chairperson Maung Pan Hmwe and General Secretary Dr. Win
Naing together with Dr. Mya Mya Win's son Maung Moe Min Oo ( a second year
student at a University in Japan) gave up their refugee status in Japan and
returned to Myanmar on 19 August evening.

		The next day, I went to Mongla. As we were traveling in the rainy season,
our car often bogged down in the mud on Kengtung Mongla Road which is soft
earth road. The road passes through the area where skirmishes had frequently
took place before peace was achieved. Surrounded by scenic lush and green
mountains, it was a new town on Myanmar-China border at the developing stage.

		I heard the sound of thuds while standing near a border mark. It would be
the sound of guns, cannons and bombs in the past. But now they were the sound
of construction sites and machines. On our way we found vast sugarcane fields
which were cultivated as an opium substitute crop. A factory that will crush
the sugarcanes to produce sugar was nearly completed.

		I found nationals in the township happy and doing business and living in a
peace of mind, witnessing the immense auspiciousness of the peace reached
between the government and national groups.

		I also met leaders of the national peace groups.

		"We blew up bridges in the past, thinking the government would get into
trouble. But we ourselves were the real victims of our commitments. Only now
we know the cost and difficulties in rebuilding a bridge. I feel sorry for our
misdeeds. Now the townspeople can live, eat and work in peace and
tranquillity. The government is going to upgrade the earth road on which you
have travelled to a gravel road. We have no more desire to fight. We can
fulfil the regional requirements through coordination with the government
without waging any battles. Breakdown of peace will push us to face our people
first before confronting the government."

		What they told me has cleared away all my negative views as I always doubted
in the past whenever the government announced that peace was reached with one
more armed group.

		On our return journey from Shan State, we visited pagodas in central Myanmar
which included Shwesandaw Pagoda in Pyay, Myathalun Pagoda in Magway, Maha
Myat Muni, Mandalay Hill and Swedaw pagodas in Mandalay, many ancient pagodas
in Bagan-NyaungU and Popa Mountain.

		My daughters burst out into laughs when I told them that I could not climb
that high hill under the hot sun. " This would kill my head." I said. "
Mother, you don't need to climb from the stairway, there is now a road to the
top. You can either choose the elevator." My daughters told me. It's so
amazing to see all the changes and developments one after another.

		We got a puncture while leaving Chauk. I came out from my car to rest under
the shade of a tree. I found about six or more people already under the tree
taking a rest.

		" Hi! Think you came back from shopping? Lots of packages? What have you
bought? I greeted and sat beside them. They replied to me about their items.
While chatting, I asked them what was their most desired thing. "Water!" They
answered unanimously. "We have little rain this year. We can cultivate and
earn our living only when there is enough rain. Water is the main requirement.
We want water only." They continued.

		"What about human rights and democracy? I asked them. " We have no interest
in it." They answered.

		"What the rural areas will do when there are disturbances in towns?" I
continued to ask. "They can go their own way, but we the rural people do not
like disturbances. There were a lot of cattle thieves during the past era. We
couldn't sleep well. Only under the present king (villagers still address the
nation's leader as the king) we can sleep well. Whoever ascended, he is our
king. We just want to live, eat and work in peace and tranquillity."

		I told Mr Isobe, a journalist of NHK who accompanied me throughout the
journey, that we were being given good lessons thoroughly. We all laughed.

		My arrival back to Yangon coincided with a member of the Diet Mr Nishimura's
visit to the city. He and his family had stayed in the guest house run by me.
I went to him and greeted him as a friend visiting my nation. Back in Japan,
Mr Nishimura presented the report on his Myanmar visit to the Diet . I was
surprised to know that a part of our conversation was quoted in his report.

		"In Myanmar, I met my friend Daw Mya Mya Win, who had run a guest house on
Izu Peninsula, Shizuoka. Daw Mya Mya Win was once an ardent supporter of Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi. She had given up her refugee status and returned to Myanmar.
She told me as follows:"

		"It is like Urashima Taroo, a Japanese folk tale. Myanmar is more developed
than I had expected. While the Myanmar Government was endeavouring for
national development, I was leading opposition movements against the
government from Japan, assuming Daw Aung San Suu Kyi as the only truth. I
tried to slow down the progress rate and hamper the development results of
Myanmar Government's endeavours. I began to realize the true situation soon
after arriving back in Myanmar. I felt sorry and embarrassed for my past
misdeeds."

		"Daw Mya Mya Win's return to the nation was carried by TVs in Myanmar as in
Japan. The majority of the people heartily welcomed her. Only few people
criticized it as a set up, accusing her of making consultation with the
government before coming back." The report added.

		Above quoted paras were from No 5 para of Mr Nishimura's submission to the
Diet. It would be required to present "Urashima Taroo" for Myanmar readers. In
addition to this folk tale, I will continue to write about Nawadae Bridge,
Anawrahta Bridge, Bo Myat Tun Bridge, South Nawin Dam, Ngamoeyeik Dam, Bagan
Museum, National Museum, Defence Services Historical Museum, Shwenandaw
Cultural Museum (Mandalay), Atumashi Monastery, Shwe Kyaunggyi, Sasana
University, building of National Theatre and Mandalay- Lashio-Muse border
trade road which I had studied during my stay  in Myanmar.

		I could not rest a single day nor met any of my friends during my stay, busy
visiting places and studying developments. I had attended the significant
occasions such as the opening ceremony of 1998 World Ranking Asia Archery
Circuit First Round Competition and conclusion ceremony of Refresher Course No
32 for Basic Education Teachers and studied activities such as the
International Literacy Day movements in Myanmar.

		I also met Chairperson Prof Daw Kyu Kyu Swe and Vice-Chairperson Dr. Khin
Win Shwe of Myanmar Maternal and Child Welfare Association, inquired about its
activities, and then became a member. I had extended my stay in the country
and sent back my son to Japan to continue his studies. Please forgive me for
not being able to write all I have witnessed and studied at present as I did
not get enough time. I will continue when I return from Japan next time.

		The state dignitaries have told me that I could freely continue to stay in
Myanmar and work for the nation and the people if I found the situation here
satisfactory and could go back to Japan if I were not satisfied.  I have to go
back to Japan not because of dissatisfaction, but with extreme satisfaction. I
have to go back not only for my social matters such as business or my son's
education alone, but also to work for the nation and the people from abroad. I
know that my assignment is there.

		I will write all I have studied about Myanmar in Japanese journals and will
try to broadcast from radio stations in Japan. I will present a paper to the
Diet. I will explain with concrete evidence to clear away all the Japanese
people's misunderstanding on Myanmar. Besides, I will ask assistance to solve
water and power supply problems to fulfil the people's need.

		I will go abroad as my role is there. I asseverate the truth that my efforts
are for the nation and the people. It will be obvious that those who will try
to oppose, hamper or destroy my efforts for the nation and the people are the
persons who have no real love for Myanmar.

		So I would like to ask them. "Do they really love the nation?"