Diary of My Travels In Myanmar

Diary of My Travels In Myanmar ( English Translation )

                                                            Win Naing,
Ph.D
                                                          September
21,1998

I, Win Naing completed all procedures for relinquishing the refugee
status granted to me by the Government of Japan at the beginning of the
Month of August, 1998. Soon after having had my Myanmar passport
restored to me I returned to my mother land on 19 August for a brief
sojourn. On 20 September I departed Myanmar for Japan.  While in
Myanmar, (from 20 August to 19 September) I was given the opportunity to
travel to all parts of my country and met my countrymen from all strata
and was able to speak freely with them with absolutely no let or
hindrance. So I would like to recount to you objectively without
prejudice or bias, the actual conditions that now prevail in the
country. I believe that this diary of events during my journeys to
various parts of Myanmar will be of great help to those within and
without the country who are interested in Myanmar's affairs.

(A)  The Myanmar Government's political outlook stance, and principal
    endeavors

(1)  The Myanmar Government in reviewing and assessing Myanmar's affairs
consistently takes into consideration the state of world affairs and
indubitably makes a comparative study. (For example- the political power
struggle between the nations of the western bloc and the Republic of
China. The desire of Asian nations to escape from western hegemony)
(2)  If only the National League for Democracy (NLD) should relax it's
present rigid stand and be more flexible, the present Myanmar Government
is fully ready and willing to work together with the NLD for the good of
the country. But Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's extreme predisposition to depend
on the western bloc and her unwarranted appeal to the west for
unnecessary support is totally unacceptable to the Government. The
Government's position is that the Myanmar people themselves should solve
their internal problems with mutual understanding, confidence and
respect for one another. This is the basic position of the Myanmar
Government.
(3)  I was very much moved when I learned that the leaders of Myanmar
had resolved **to unhesitatingly sacrifice their lives for the welfare
and progress of the country and the people ... to prevent the
disintegration of the Union ... and to give their full protection.** I
have come away fully convinced that they will not be swerved from this
resolve. I have learned that among the top-ranking leaders of the
Myanmar Government, the Secretary 1, Lieutenant General Khin Nyunt has
the greatest approval and support of the people. " He is someone who
works from dawn's early light till late into the night. Not only does he
himself work thus, all his staff are also made to work in like manner
 ..." is an excerpt I read about Lieutenant General Khin Nyunt in a
Japanese magazine. This statement, I found to be an accurate and true
description during my stay in Myanmar.
(4)  I also came to know personally that the Myanmar Government values
highly, the peace accord achieved with the 17armed national groups. (I
had the chance to meet and speak with the leaders of these armed
national groups. I was told by these leaders that their people in the
respective regions seemed to appreciate and value the peace that now
prevails much more than they themselves did. That was why, they told me
with great emphasis and sincerity, that any thought of destroying the
peace achieved had not occurred to them no matter who tried to tempt and
lure them.)
(5)  I have also seen that the present Government, have without any kind
of assistance from other countries, carried out drug control measures
with only its own resources up to last year.

(B) The Economic situation in Myanmar.

(1)  Up to last year ( i.e. the 1996-97 Financial Year) I learnt that
Myanmar's economy had improved year by year and that each year it had
exceeded the targeted GDP growth of 5%. But due to the Asian currency
crisis and the ensuing currency devaluation, foreign investments in
Myanmar fell 53%. However, the currency devaluation has had very little
repercussions on the domestic economy in comparison to other Asian
countries.
(2)  The volume of border trade with Thailand and China respectively
has, year by year, become stronger and more established. So even if the
western nations should decide to impose a hundred per cent economic
sanctions, it is my opinion that as long as there is a flourishing
border trade, these economic sanctions would not be effective.
(3)  In the agriculture sector,  especially where rice production  is
concerned,  the
   Government is making every endeavour to grow two to three crops a
year. From my
   own personal observation I can say with assurance that the rumour
which says that
   there is only 3 month's reserve of rice / paddy supplies for local
consumption is
   unfounded.
(4)  I also learnt that the Myanmar Government has laid down long-term
projects to increase domestic production of goods and also reduce state
expenditure by 40% in efforts to overcome the economic crisis that Asia
is now facing.

(C) The Current Infrastructure Situation in Myanmar.

(1)  The Government is giving priority to improving and expanding road
communications. In comparison to the previous 5 years, the mileage of
roads for motor traffic has increased enormously. However, the material
condition of the roads are not yet up to the standards of the roads in
the prefectures of Japan. The highways on the other hand are good enough
for vehicles to drive at a speed of 70 kilometers an hour.
(2)  Water for irrigation is distributed to farmers almost free of
change. With regard to daily drinking water country wide, supply cannot
as yet meet demand.
(3)  Electrical power supply at present is inadequate and has to be
rationed and distributed in turn to the various wards in the townships.
It is said that the power shortage situation became worse within this
year.

(D) Freedom of the Media.

(1)  The Myanmar language newspapers, the Myanma  Alin, the Kyemon and
the English language New Light of Myanmar are the three daily newspapers
which are under the control of the Government. But there are
representative foreign news agencies and a Foreign Correspondents'  Club
whose members enjoy nearly as much freedom as those in Japan in their
journalistic pursuits. Myanmar political new transmitted daily to
international circles and via the internet are mostly undertaken by
these foreign correspondents (Kyodo, AFP, Reuters, AP etc:) who are free
to write their own news articles.

(E)  The Desires of Ordinary Myanmar Citizens and Their General
    Outlook.

(1)  Who so ever should govern the country they will recognize as the
Government (in power) ..... is a view subscribed to by most Myanmar
citizens especially in the rural areas.
(2)  What the Myanmar people desire most is to live their daily lives
and earn their livelihood in peace more so than to talk about human
rights, democracy. What the ordinary citizen desires most is to prevent
another outbreak of political violence and unrest in the country
(especially anarchic conditions as in 1988)
(3)  " Compared to former times the country has made vast strides in
development." is the generally accepted view of most citizens.
(4)  All Myanmar citizens share a common desire for a reduction in the
cost of living and an adequate supply electrical power. (Democracy and
human rights are not what they desire).
(5)  Myanmar parents are all very anxious about their children's'
education. They yearn for the reopening of the institutes of learning
and the students themselves wish fervently to continue their studies in
peace ..as I learnt during my stay in Myanmar.
 (The Myanmar Government with a view towards the possible reopening of
schools conducted final examinations in August. I also learned that
arrangements are underway to facilitate the opening of the various
colleges and institutes. But there is one obstacle preventing the
reopening of higher education institutes. This, I found out was due to
the activities of the opposition groups within the country who are just
waiting for the schools to reopen so that they can exploit and use the
students in their subversive activities against the Government.)

(F) The People's View Regarding the NLD.

(1)  The people still have personal affection and regard for Daw Aung
San Suu Kyi as General Aung San's daughter. But respect and confidence
in her as a politician and for the NLD as a political party are not as
high as it was formerly (as for example in 1990).
(2)  During my sojourn in Myanmar I learnt that many Myanmar people were
of the view that if only the NLD (and particularly Daw Aung San Suu Kyi)
would pursue a more moderate and flexible policy, peace and prosperity
could be achieved in the future.

(G) Conclusion

I, Win Naing, returned temporarily to Myanmar with a firm resolve to
contribute in any way I can towards the endeavors of the Myanmar
Government to bring about change and development for the future welfare
of the country. Furthermore I was also prompted by my considered view
that the NLD should pursue a more flexible and less rigid course in its
relations with the Government. My colleagues of the past are now
criticizing my acts as being traitorous and have also dubbed me a
traitor. It does not matter. Even before my return to Myanmar I
genuinely believed that my chosen course of action was right.  When I
arrived back in Myanmar, I became more convinced that my action was
right.
It is only natural for different people to have different points of
view. But just because personal views and policies differ one should not
regard each other as enemies. There need not necessarily be enmity and
confrontation. My belief that problems and differences can be resolved
if discussions and talks be held on the basis of mutual respect and
confidence, has been further strengthened after my return to Myanmar.
To all those in and outside of Japan who are interested in Myanmar
affairs, all I wish to say now is " Go to Myanmar at least once to see
for yourselves." Only then will they understand better how to resolve
Myanmar's issues and get a clearer understanding of what the Myanmar
people really want.

End.

                       Dr. Win Naing, Ph.D
     P.O Box 2029, Kita-shinjuku P.O, Shinjuku-ku,Tokyo,169-8691, JAPAN
       171-23,  Akazawa,  Ito-shi,  Shizuoka-ken,  413-0233,  JAPAN
       Tel. (+81)-40-850-2738,   Fax. (+81)-557-53-3754,   E-mail:
win9@xxxxxxxxx