HCHR STATEMENT ON BURMA

UNITED NATIONS

Press Release

HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR HUMAN RIGHTS CONCERNED
OVER INTENSIFICATION OF REPRESSION IN MYANMAR

The following statement was made today by High Commissioner for Human
Rights Mary Robinson:

I have been following with increasing concern the intensification of
repression against Myanmar's political opposition over the last few weeks.
Recently, over 200 members of  the National League for Democracy (NLD) have
been arrested or detained, while NLD leader Aung San Suu Kyi has been
subjected to repeated harassment. Further, conditions of detention in the
country fall far short of international standards, and a number of
prisoners are reported to have died while in custody.

It is clear from the Commission of Inquiry established by the International
Labour Organization that forced labour continues in Myanmar. Meanwhile,
there also appears to be an official policy of forced displacement of
ethnic minorities, which has resulted in large numbers of internally
displaced and refugees in neighbouring countries.

I raised these issues with the Foreign Minister of Myanmar, U Ohn Gyaw,
during a meeting in New York on 23 September but received no satisfactory
response. I take his opportunity to call on the Government of Myanmar to
guarantee the rights of freedom of movement and association of all citizens
and to accelerate the process of national reconciliation leading to the
enjoyment of all human rights. I hope the people arrested or detained for
political reasons will be released and allowed to express freely their
views and opinion and demonstrate peacefully.

I urge the Government to establish a constructive dialogue with the United
Nations system, including the human rights mechanisms in the effective
promotion and protection of human
rights in the country. Regrettably the authorities have failed to respond
to consistent requests to allow the Special Rapporteur on the situation in
Myanmar, Rajsoomer Lallah,
to conduct a field mission. I reiterate my support for Mr. Lallah's efforts
to fulfil his mandate and again request the Government to cooperate with
him and allow him to have direct
contacts with the people of Myanmar.