The Truth About Htun Aung Kyaw

Dear burmanet readers (including Tin Win Thein and Nyi Nyi),
     I would like to tell you more about Htun Aung Kyaw.   I would like
to explain how Htun Aung Kyaw became the ABSDF leader.  In 1988, Htun
Aung Kyaw and his friends went to Three Pagoda Pass on the Thai-Burma
border.  At this time, I was a GDI student. I arrived at Three Pagoda
Pass prior to Htun Aung Kyaw.  At the time, the Mon students and Rangoon
students lived together on the Thai side of Three Pagoda Pass.  Tin Soe
Noung, Dr. Naing Aung, Zaw Oo, and other students were organizing a
student organization. Many students had come to Three Pagoda Pass, and
it was very difficult to organize everyone because the students came
from different parts of Burma and everyone was scared to trust each
other.
     I tried to unify the Rangoon students, the ethnic students, and
students from other areas.  We almost achieved this goal, but then Htun
Aung Kyaw and his friends came.  He said that since Three Pagoda Pass
belonged to the Mon, the Rangoon students and students from other areas
have to fight with the Mon.  He created conflict and misunderstanding
between the Rangoon students, students from other areas and the Mon
students.  He did this because he wanted to divide and conquer us.  He
wanted power and support from the students so he could be a leader.  In
this way, he destroyed the unity that we had worked so hard to achieve.
     Another related situation occurred when we were organizing for  the
first ABSDF conference which was sponsored by the KNU, Mon, and KIA.
Each area, KNU, Mon, and KIA, had to select student representatives for
the first ABSDF conference.  The number of student representatives was
based on the population of the students living in that territory.  I
lived in the Mon territory at the Three Pagoda Pass.  We were allowed to
have five representatives from the Mon territory.  At that time, we had
only one camp in our area. The committee of the camp decided who we
should send to the first ABSDF conference.  At the meetings, the camp
chose five students to represent us.
      Htun Aung Kyaw missed all the camp meetings.  He was not chosen as
a representative, either.  But he wanted to go to the first ABSDF
conference because at the conference, students would be voting for
central executive committee members of the ABSDF.  At this point, he
manipulated his way into becoming a representative.  He started coming
to the camp meetings.  He told everyone that we should increase the
number of representatives from 5 to 7 because he wanted to go to the
conference.  This was not possible since the student representatives
were going to be sponsored by the New Mon State Party.  The New Mon
State Party could only provide food and travel expenses for only five
representatives since they did have much money.  They did not have
enough money to pay for seven people.
      Since his strategy of increasing the representatives did not work,
he started creating conflict among the Rangoon students, students from
other areas and the Mon students.  He told the Rangoon students and
students from other areas that Mon students were unfair and were trying
to control all the students in the camp.  Then he told the Rangoon
students and students from other areas that we must separate the camp.
He wanted us to start a new camp.  He would be the representative of
this new camp at the ABSDF conference.
    In this way, Htun Aung Kyaw created disunity among the students for
his personal ambition.  He wanted the students to start another camp so
that he could attend the ABSDF conference.  He manipulated his way into
becoming the ABSDF chairman.  The camp did not even start until after
the conference was finished.  The camp was located near Sankhalaburi.
But I did go to this fake camp.  I stayed in the original student camp.
(To be continued)

Than Win (Htoo Gyi)