ABSDF: Burmese Army Threatens Cease

Media Release
September 24, 1998

Burmese Army Threatens Cease-fire Groups for Constructive
Declarations

Burmese military authorities summoned representatives of several
cease-fire groups and threatened them following their statements
urging the military last month to enter into peaceful political
dialogue with the National League for Democracy (NLD), according
to sources in Rangoon.

On September 19, 1998, Lieutenant Colonel Than Aye from the
Military Intelligence Service (MIS), who handles the issues
concerning cease-fire groups met in Rangoon with representatives
from 6 cease-fire groups.

The groups in attendance are: United Wa State Solidarity Army
(UWSA), NDA Kachin Special Region (1), Shan Special Region (4),
Kachin Independence Army (KIA), Palaung Liberation Army (PSLA),
New Mon State Party (NMSP).

Lieutenant Colonel Than Aye told the groups of Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi:

"Daw Aung San Suu Kyi has been coordinating with forces from
western countries. We know how many times she has visited those
embassies and with which ambassadors she has met.... Michael Eris
has been controlling her all along. When he visited Burma and on
his way back gave press interviews, he did not even mention
anything about the parliament. If he can control her this much
now, he will wield more influence in future".

Regarding the statements, Colonel Than Aye continued:

"By entering cease-fire agreements with us, we the Tatmadaw
believe that you have been in alliance with us. You statements
are supportive of the NLD. So it can be assumed that you are
supporting our enemy.   Currently, hard-core NLD members
numbering only a few hundred are instigating unrest. We are
trying our best to control that it does not grow. We are working
hard so as to ensure that the small spark will not become a
flame. We never believe that scenario such as the Americans
firing missiles into Pakistan and Afghanistan will happen here in
Burma. This is because we have China

On August 14, and 18, 1998, cease-fire groups such as Shan
Nationalities Peoples' Liberation Organization (SNPLO), Kayan
Newland Party (KNP), Karenni National Peoples' Liberation Front
(KNPLF), NMSP, issued statements expressing their concerns about
the prevailing political situation in the country and urging the
military to enter dialogue with the opposition NLD.

All Burma Students' Democratic Front

For more information please contact 01-253 9082