[Fwd: Article #3]

--------------A3D22E732489E32FD554A980

To: absdf102@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Article #3
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 18:35:17 PDT

The Dryden Courier
September 2, 1998
Page5

Guest Opinion

Letter to the Editor

Dear Editor:

	My name is Shwe Htee, and I am from Burma.  I am currently a student at
Tompkins-Cortland Community College, and I reside in Ithaca, NY.  I am
writing to you today because I am gravely concerned about the situation
in Burma, my country.
	Burma is the largest country in Southeast Asia, and it forms borders
with Thailand, Laos, China, India, and Bangladesh.  Approximately the
size of Texas, the population of Burma is over 50 million.  From
1885-1945, the English colonized Burma.  But in 1945, a young man named
General Aung San and his Burma Independence Army (BIA) gained
independence for the country.  General Aung San is considered the
national hero and founder of a modern Burma.  After independence, a
democratic government was established in the country.  This government
ruled Burma for several years until 1962 when a general named Ne Win
overthrew the government in a military coup.  Since 1962, a military
dictatorship has run my country.  This regime now called the State Peace
and Development Council (SPDC) has oppressed the Burmese people for 36
years and committed such acts as murder, forced and slave labor,
portering, rape, village relocation, and the destruction of the
environment.
	In 1988, there were mass uprisings to protest the military dictatorship
and to fight for democracy and human rights in Burma.  Millions of
people throughout the country participated in these demonstrations which
occurred in March, June, and July, and cumulated in August 1988.
Finally, however, the military regime brutally cracked down on these
demonstrators.  On August 8,1988, or better known as 8.8.88, the
military regime killed over 4,000 students and civilians.  The mass
demonstrations continued, and the regime lost power for a short time.
But then they regained power on September 18, 1988.  On September 18,
1988, the regime staged a military coup and killed over 4,000 people in
the entire country.  In 1990, national elections were held in Burma.
The National League for Democracy (NLD), head by Aung San Suu Kyi,
General Aung San's daughter and the 1991 Nobel Laureate for Peace, won
the election by an overwhelming majority.  But the military regime
refused to transfer power to the NLD party.
	The current situation in Burma is also worse than ever.  Millions of
people suffer from malnutrition and disease. Approximately 15-18
children in Burma die every day.  Over 6,000 political prisoners remain
in jail.  Most of these prisoners are tortured and live in inhuman
conditions.  As a result of this terrible situation, the National League
for Democracy has called to convene parliament, despite the SPDC's
refusal to transfer power.
	As a student dissident who was active in the 1988 Uprising, I am
gravely concerned about the situation in my country.  For this reason, I
am organizing "Democracy in Burma Day."  "Democracy in Burma Day" will
be held on September 18, 1998 on the pavilion of the Ithaca Commons from
5-7 pm.  "Democracy in Burma Day" will be the 10-year memorial to the
thousands of people who were killed by the military regime on September
18,1988.  "Democracy in Burma Day" will also show our support for the
democratically-elected party, the National League for Democracy, to
convene parliament and to assume power in Burma.   I invite you and the
members of your community to come and join us on the Commons for
"Democracy in Burma Day." Please come and support freedom and human
rights in Burma.

If you need more information, please contact me at (607) 256-1123 or
shwehtee8888@xxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Shwe Htee (8.8.88)
Democracy in Burma Day, Coordinator
Democratic Burmese Students Organization, Central Executive Committee
Member
Outstanding Global Citizen Award Winner