STATEMENT OF RADIO FREE BURMA (RFB)

ON
THE SLORC/SPDC "TAMADAW" MILITARY DICTATORSHIP

Tomorrow completes 10 long years of suffering of the Burmese people, under
the ruthless and the corrupt SLORC/SPDC "Tamadaw".  The "Tamadaw" once
revered as the guardians of the people, is now a symbol of fear and hatred,
as the leaders of the SLORC/SPDC "Tamadaw" now openly engages in all forms
of human rights abuses against the people, and ignores the aspirations of
the people, who voted for peace and democracy at the 1990 elections.
The leaders of the SLORC/SPDC "Tamadaw" in accumulating wealth for
themselves and their families, have plundered the countries resources and
turned the country from a once prosperous "Golden Land", into one of the
least developed countries in the world.  The people are now being forced
deeper and deeper into poverty, and live in fear in slave labour
conditions, totally devoid of all their basic human rights.
This is not the same "Tamadaw" of General Aung San who swore an oath to
protect the people with their lives.  It is a corrupt military
dictatorship, which tortures and kills innocent children, students and
Buddhist monks, incites racial and religious hatred, and encourages rape,
murder and pillage of the ethnic nationalities.
On the 23 September, 1988, General Saw Maung lied to the people when he
told the people "All the "Tamadaw" personnel, my colleagues and I would
like to solemnly promise not to hold on to power for a long time.  We will
not break this promise for any person.  Moreover, we additionally promise
that the Armed Forces, after transferring power to the democratically
elected government which will emerge from a free and fair election, shall
only perform its principal tasks of defence, security of the State and
maintaining Law and Order and etc."
On the 7 October, 1988, U Maung Maung Gyi SLORC's Permanent Representative
to the United Nations, addressed the 43 Regular Session of the United
Nations General Assembly.  He said that "....No outside power can prescribe
for Burma what her future political destiny should be, for it is the right
of the peoples to determine their own future.  In order that the Burmese
people would be able to exercise their rights, the state authorities have
announced and are making arrangements for holding general elections that
would be free and fair in which all political parties can participate so
that multi-party democracy system for which the people have been aspiring
may be successfully established".
The SLORC "Tamadaw" lied and deceived the people, and after the elections,
SLORC abandoned all its previous promises to hand over State power to the
elected NLD party of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, and on the 27 July, 1990, it
issued Declaration 1/90.
We fully support the NLD's attempts to convene the Parliament elected by
the people in 1990, and we call on all peace loving nations of the world to
support the NLD in fulfilling the aspirations of the Burmese people for
peace, democracy and human rights.  We thank the Australian Labor Party for
its bold stand against the SLORC/SPDC "Tamadaw" and we wish them success at
the forthcoming elections.  To the Burmese citizens in Australia seeking
refuge from the SLORC/SPDC "Tamadaw" we sympathise with them, and urge them
to draw strength from the fact that the SLORC/SPDC "Tamadaw" will not last
another 10 years.

PEACE & COURAGE
RADIO FREE BURMA (RFB)
First Burmese Language Internet Radio in the World
www.fast.net.au/rfb