* Daw Aung San Suu kyi is the daugh

                  MUSLIM LIBERATION ORGANIZATION OF BURMA

      MLOB's  Statement on the current precarious situation in Burma

 We,on behalf of the Muslim Liberation Organization of Burma (MLOB), are
deeply concerned about the present explosive situation in Burma which may
repeat the tragedy of 1988 unless a genuine political solution is
implemented by the ruling Slorc/SPDC military junta through peaceful
political means.

The military junta has once again increased its brutal suppression against
the NLD since it announced that it would unilaterally convene a people's
parliament during Sept. 1998 with the representatives elected in 1990
general election. The election was held by the Slorc/SPDC military junta
itself. However, the  junta has refused to honour its promises of convening
parliament and handing over power to the NLD when it  won a landslide
victory in the election.

 Thus the NLD has been given the mandate in the election by the peoples of
Burma and it is the legitimate rights of the NLD to convene parliament. The
military junta has arrested over 300 NLD members, since Sept.6, 1998 alone
and about 100 amongst them are members of parliament, in a move to thwart
NLD's plan to convene parliament.

 SPDC is continuing to claim that the NLD's actions(its members' movements
and the convening parliament) would have derailed  so-called national
reconciliation as well as peace and stability  of the state while the junta
itself is hypocritically refusing to have dialogue with the oppositions to
solve Burma's long-standing political problems by peaceful political means.

 The junta's dirty play in politics will not bring about peace, stability
and national reconciliation and there will  be no developments for the
country as long as there is no improvement in the political situation in
Burma.

 We,therefore, strongly support the firm decision taken by the NLD to convene
peole's parliament in Burma  and we would like to call upon the entire
Burmese
peoples to support the NLD in its struggle against the military dictatorship.

 We would like to remind the military junta that Daw Aung San Suu Kyi is
the daughter of Bogyoke Aung San, the father of the Burma Army and the
father of Burma's independence as well. The junta's military might, its
brutality, cunning tactics and its stubbornness will neither lead to the
prospering of the country nor any improvement for the peoples of Burma.

 We condemn the junta's threats to deport Daw Aung San Suu Kyi who is
merely struggling for the betterment of the State and its peoples, and the
junta's  exercising of brutality and hypocricy towards the opposition
including ethnic minorities since it came into power.

 We strongly urge the military authorities again to release all political
and students' leaders and to enter into dialogue with the oppositions which
is the only way to solve Burma's political problems.

Central committee,
Muslim Liberation Organization of Burma.

Dated. Sept.11,1998.