(no subject) (r)

Democratic Burmese Students' Organization Action Committee
Special Statement on 10th Anniversary of Military Coup in Burma

September 18, 1998

Today marks the 10th anniversary of coup d' etat by the military dictators in
Burma.  From September 18, 1988 to date, the military clique still stands in
isolation yet with no shame and grace for it has completely been disregarding
the nation's peace, democracy and economic development.  Furthermore, Burmese
dictators are still attempting to deviate from the national reconciliation.

The Burmese military junta is still holding onto the power against the will of
the whole national population by using all  kinds of  crooked unlawful ways
and means.

With the sole ambition of their illegitimate stay in power, the ruling
military dictators have broken the promises of their predecessors  given to
the people for transferring power to the elected political party and even hung
or imprisoned their fellow generals who show sympathy in the public.

There is no other alternatives left except the establishment of People
Democratic Government that comprises the members of parliament who were
overwhelmingly elected by the all nationalities of the Union of Burma during
the 1990 May General Elections.

We strongly welcome and support all efforts for convening the People's
Parliament under the leadership of National League for Democracy (NLD).

International community including the United States of America, Japan,
Britain, Germany, Canada, Australia, Philippines, France  and Thailand also
recognizes and supports the NLD's strife for the convention of the People's
Parliament and keeps exerting pressure on the military junta, the State Peace
and Development Committee (SPDC), through their positive actions.

The country's present social and economic crisis will definitely deteriorate
out of control to a stage of total national disaster in the nearest future if
the SPDC continues to disregard the will of the people of Burma and the
sympathetic attitudes of the international community toward the country.

The establishment of People's Democratic Government through the convening of
People's Parliament must be considered as the national importance of the
moment by the whole Burmese population.  This initiative by the opposition
forces must not be as only the affairs of the parties concerned.  We demand
all the citizens of Burma to strongly support this movement and do their
natural duties to achieve this national strife for People's Democratic
Government.
We, the Democratic Burmese Students' Organization, earnestly request all the
peace-loving nations and states the world over to stop the ongoing human
rights violation by the military junta in Burma and to support Burmese
people's strife for establishing a new democratic government in Burma.

We also urge the United Nations Organization to adopt a workable policy and
timetable for the restoration of peace in Burma and to help the Burmese people
convene their first People's Parliament based on the results of 1990 elections
at the possible earliest time.

With our concerns about and our responsibility to solve the present situations
and the future political and economic trend of the nation, we demand the
military junta:

1. To recognize and cooperate with the NLD's strife for convening the People's
Parliament and
2. To release all the unlawfully-detained Members of Parliament, politicians,
students, monks and soldiers immediately and unconditionally.

A New Burma Democratic Government Must Prevail.

Democratic Burmese Students' Organization Action Committee
Fort Wayne, Indiana
United States of America

E.MAIL:ESLSB@xxxxxxx