BBC-East Asia Today-Aug 25,1998

East Asia Today-Aug 25,1998

Students Gather Outside Rangoon University in First of a Series of Planned
Demonstrations
Rangoon has seen its first student demonstration in two years. The protest
took place outside the city's university, where two hundred students
gathered, unfurled flags, handed out leaflets and sang democracy songs. A
crowd of about one thousand people gathered in support, but within an hour,
armed riot police broke up the demonstration, and according to diplomats,
two truck loads of students were taken away.

The move came as National League for Democracy leader, Aung San Suu Kyi,
ended her roadside protest, having been blocked by the junta from meeting
party workers outside Rangoon.

For more on the demonstration, East Asia Today presenter, Christopher
Gunness, called student leader in Bangkok, Aung Naing Oo:

Aung Naing Oo: This is the first in a series of demonstrations. About a
week ago there was a meeting of Burmese students and youths in Rangoon.
They were basically planning to stage various demonstrations. Although it
is very hard to say anything concrete at this stage, I think they are
co-ordinating with a lot of other groups like workers, farmers and Buddhist
monks, as well as the political parties which have been banned since the
1990 elections.

Christopher Gunness: Are you saying that there are going to be more
demonstrations and better co-ordinated demonstrations in the coming days?

Aung Naing Oo: Yes, because we have tried every possible means to force the
Burmese military to go into dialogue and they have refused all along. It's
already been eight years and I think it's time for all of us to pressurise
the Burmese military regime into dialogue and finding a peaceful solution
with the opposition.

Christopher Gunness: How much co-operation has there been between the
students and the National League for Democracy?

Aung Naing Oo: I think it's quite difficult to say. So far as we know there
is no official co-ordination. The NLD has been the target of the Burmese
military junta and whenever students stage demonstrations or try to do
something connected to a political movement, then they will try to link it
to the NLD. The NLD is very sacred. The best thing for us is to make no
official contact with the NLD, but so far as we know, there has been a lot
of co-ordination carried out unofficially. This is the only way we can work
things out in Burma right now.

Christopher Gunness: Do you think the strategy of public pressure will work
given that in the past all that the military has done is crack down?

Aung Naing Oo: We are very sure that it will work because - especially at
this time - the whole world is watching. The Burmese army strategy - so far
as we know - is to scare the people away from joining the NLD or any
resistance movement. So far as we know this is not working, and it's likely
that the Burmese army will resort to more violent methods of crushing the
demonstrations. But, I think they will think more than twice before they
shoot anybody, because everybody is watching and one spark will ignite the
whole country.