All Burma Federation of Student Uni (r)

Unofficial Translation

-----------

ABFSU
STATEMENT OF OUR POSITION RELATING TO CONVENING OF PYITHU HLUTTAW.

The All Burma Federation of Student Unions is in full agreement with the
statement of the 21 August, 1998 by the National League for Democracy
declaring that they would soon be convening the Pyithu Hluttaw
comprising all the different nationalities and elected representatives.

The 1990 general elections was held in order that the people could elect
their representatives to take on full responsibility for a democratic
system of government. Therefore, no matter what the circumstances may
be, it is compulsorily the responsibility of the SLORC and now its
successor the SPDC to immediately do its utmost to convene the Pyithu
Hluttaw. It is as much the duty of the National League for Democracy,
having gained the majority seats, to convene the Pyithu Hluttaw.

Any citizen has the right to peacefully demand and attempt to assemble
the Pyithu Hluttaw. There is no violation of the law in doing so. It is
a right of every citizen under the rule of law.  Preventing citizens to
exercise that right by illegal arrests is itself a violation of the
principles of justice.

There is no law or justification under any circumstances to deny the
rights accrued from the results of the 1990 General Elections. It can
not be abrogated , revoked or annulled. Together with our countrymen we
will firmly grasp this right and continue to do our utmost for the
convening of the Hluttaw.

Today, the people are clamouring for a government in which their elected
representatives can participate and with freedom make and review laws to
defend the individual's rights.

If there is no mutual trust and respect between a government and the
people, there can be no genuine peace. Any country in this situation can
not develop its full potential. As long as the people's representatives
are denied the right to from a government according to true democratic
principles, mutual respect and trust can not be achieved.

The convening of the Pyithu Hluttaw immediately and the transference of
governmental powers to the elected representatives is a matter of life
and death and is a national concern. In this national concern, there is
no outsider or intermediary. There is not a single citizen who is not
concerned about this matter. It is every citizen's concern and
responsibility.

The future of the nation depends on its foundation which will be in a
constitution based on the democratic principles. Only the people's
representatives have the mandate to formulate and write that document.
In the democratic system there is no person or organisation higher than
or who can replace the elected representatives.

If the military government which has renamed itself as the State Peace
and Development Council truly desires peace and development it will
adhere to the people's wishes and demands and immediately convene the
Pyithu Hluttaw. Instead of wasting time doing things that are not really
their business and in which they have not the skills or expertise like
writing the constitution, convening a national convention and so forth
they should convene the Pyithu Hluttaw immediately and should there by
any problems or difficulties, full consultation with Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi and her party the National League for democracy is the way to go.

Any meeting or consultation without the inclusion of Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi will not be fruitful. It is necessary for the military government
(SPDC) to meet with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and it is just as necessary for
the NLD to do their best to meet with them having Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
as leader.

It is the responsibility and essential that the National League for
Democracy do its utmost to convene the Pyithu Hluttaw as it is of
national importance. It is just as important  that Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
act as the leader.

We recognise that the National League for Democracy has to take on the
 responsibility of convening the Hluttaw because the military government
of the SPDC has failed in its responsibility to the people. In trying to
peacefully convene parliament, they will not be breaching any law and
the military government has no right whatsoever to prevent them.

We strenuously remind the SPDC military government not to intimidate and
enforce prohibitive measures against the people's representatives and
the central executive committee of the NLD; not to dissolve the NLD; not
to threaten and arrest the activists for the democracy movement and not
to deliberately create trouble-makers.

As long as students are suppressed and denied their rights, the
democratic aspirations of  the All Burma Federation of Student Unions
will without fail continue to vehemently defy and denounce any
government or authority whatsoever and expose their wrong doing.

We, as youths and students will do our best and our utmost for the
accomplishment of the convening of the Pyithu Hluttaw.

Central Executive Committee (Provisional)
All Burma Federation of Student Unions
(ABFSU)