The BurmaNet News: August 26, 1998

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
 "Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: August 26, 1998
Issue #1082

HEADLINES:
==========
AFP: YANGON STABLE BUT FURTHER UNREST FORECAST
REUTERS: MISSING MYANMAR AIRCRAFT LANDS SAFELY IN LAOS
THE ECONOMIST: NO TURNING BACK
NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR: TO HAVE A CORRECT VIEW
FBC FORUM: THE OPPRESSED OF BURMA ARE ALSO HUMAN BEINGS

AFP: YANGON STABLE BUT FURTHER UNREST FORCAST

BANGKOK, Aug 25 (AFP) - Further unrest was forecast in Yangon Tuesday after
riot police broke up the biggest anti-government protests there in nearly
two years, foreign diplomats said.

"We are certainly expecting some more trouble, but at what level, we don't
know," said one western envoy. "It could be like Monday, or it could be
bigger."
The capital was quiet Tuesday but extra riot police were deployed, with
troops concentrated around sensitive areas, they added.

The junta has warned the opposition led by Aung San Suu Kyi not to
undermine stability at a meeting with senior members of her pro-democracy
party.

Minister for Home Affairs Colonel Tin Hlaing met opposition National League
for Democracy (NLD) central executive committee officials on Monday to
deliver the message, the state-run press said Tuesday.

"The minister told them to avoid acts which will undermine stability and
peace and the rule of law in the country," the official New Light of
Myanmar newspaper reported.

Diplomats said more riot police had been deployed, particularly at Hledan
junction and the Yangon Institute of Technology where protests were held.

Riot police dispersed two demonstrations Monday, arresting dozens. No
injuries were reported.

In the first incident, protestors were herded into trucks after being
charged by police with batons and shields. It was the biggest such protest
since December 1996, witnesses and diplomats said.

"They just swept through and dispersed them," said one source, adding no
serious violence was seen.

Witnesses said up to 150 protestors and some 1,000 onlookers, who had been
cheering as the activists chanted anti-junta slogans at Hledan intersection
outside Yangon University, scattered as the riot police advanced on the
demonstration.

Rocks were thrown and riot police mobilised during another demonstration
later Monday, diplomats said.

Details were sketchy but foreign envoys said up to 100 students staged the
demonstration near the Yangon Institute of Technology around 7:00 p.m.
(1130 GMT).

"It's not even clear who threw the rocks. We're not sure if anyone was
arrested," one diplomat said.

Sources noted the technology institute and Hledan junction were the two key
sites in the 1996 protests which led to the junta's closure of universities.

All Myanmar universities remain closed though exams are currently being
held for the first time.

"The government has taken a fairly firm line on these demonstrations," said
another western diplomat.

"There has been zero tolerance. That contrasts with the attitude they are
taking with Aung San Suu Kyi."

Another foreign diplomat said Myanmar would not tolerate any open show of
dissent.

"They saw what happened in Beijing and Jakarta and they don't want that in
Rangoon," he said, using the former name for Yangon.

The diplomat was referring to the 1989 massacre of pro-democracy
demonstrators in Beijing's Tiananmen Square and the riots in Jakarta which
led to president Suharto's resignation in May. China is Myanmar's main
partner, while junta leaders had previously said Indonesia should serve as
a model for their country.

The demonstrations came as Aung San Suu Kyi ended a 13-day stand-off with
the junta amid concerns about her health.

She had been camped out in a minibus 25 kilometres (15 miles) northwest of
Yangon since being blocked from travelling to meet provincial supporters.

It was her fourth failed bid in little over a month to travel outside
Yangon. The NLD had repeatedly claimed her health was worsening and said
she had not eaten for 11 days.

The 53-year-old's condition was not known Tuesday but foreign diplomats
said they did not believe it to be serious.

"She is a physically frail woman and the stand-off must have been quite an
ordeal," one added.

"But if it was serious, even if she protested, I don't think she would be
treated at home.

"Perhaps she just needs to rest for a few days."

Exiled opposition groups in Thailand, including parliament members elected
in the country's 1990 polls, Tuesday called on the junta to hold direct
dialogue with Aung San Suu Kyi and convene parliament.

"In holding dialogues, the SPDC must talk on the basis of equality, with
delegates, including Aung San Suu Kyi, chosen by the NLD," a statement from
National Council of the Union of Burma (NCUB) said.

The junta, officially known as the State Peace and Development Council, or
SPDC, has repeatedly refused direct talks with the NLD leader.

The opposition spearheaded by the NLD won elections by a landslide eight
years ago but the junta has refused to give up power.

"If the SPDC military clique is sincere, it must immediately cease its
activities of persecution, limitations and obstruction by various means
against the NLD and the parliament-elect," the NCUB statement added.

The NLD Friday said it would convene parliament, despite junta warnings the
move would be illegal.

REUTERS: MISSING MYANMAR AIRCRAFT LANDS SAFELY IN LAOS

BANGKOK, Aug 25 (Reuters) - A Myanmar Airways Fokker F-27 turboprop
aircraft reported missing on Monday with 39 passengers on board has landed
safely in Laos, an official of Myanmar Airways said on Tuesday.

``The passengers and plane are OK. They landed at a Lao airport -- that's
what we can say,'' said the official, contacted in Yangon, the Myanmar
capital, by telephone from Bangkok.

``The aircraft made a fine landing at an old airfield in Laos, but I cannot
remember the name of the town,'' he said. ``I think the plane can fly back
to Yangon tomorrow.''

Flight UB635 had been on a regular two-hour domestic flight from Yangon to
the eastern border town of Tachilek on Monday but had been unable to land
there due to bad weather, Myanmar's Ministry of Information said on Monday.

It had then flown on to Heho in southeast Myanmar but had lost contact with
ground control.

The airline official said all those aboard were Myanmar citizens. An
official of Myanmar Airways in Bangkok said earlier that most of the
passengers were Myanmar military personnel.

In January, at least seven people were killed when a Myanmar Airways F-27
carrying about 40 people on a domestic flight crashed near Thandwe, about
320 km (200 miles) northwest of Yangon.

THE ECONOMIST: NO TURNING BACK

DIPLOMATS welcomed a meeting on August 18th between Myanmar's military
intelligence chief, Khin Nyunt, and the chairman of the opposition National
League for Democracy (NLD), Aung Shwe. Getting junta and opposition
together for their first direct talks in more than a year was something of
a breakthrough. But, conspicuous by her absence was the NLD's leader, Aung
San Suu Kyi. She remained stuck in a van south-west of Yangon, where
security forces had halted her on August 12th.

Miss Suu Kyi refused to turn back. But her health was deteriorating and on
August 20th the NLD said she may have to give up. The government sought to
ridicule her protest by sending a beach umbrella, plastic table and garden
chairs to the scene. Less clear was the junta's motives in inviting NLD
leaders to a meeting.

It may have hoped to ease tensions before the August 21st deadline set by
the NLD for convening the parliament elected in 1990, but never allowed by
the army to meet after the NLD had won by a landslide. The generals may
also hope to ease pressure from critical western governments and more
emollient regional neighbours for a dialogue with the opposition. In
another bid to deflect criticism, 18 foreign activists detained for
distributing pro-democracy leaflets in the capital were deported. But two
Myanmar students, reportedly arrested for the same offence, were jailed for
seven years.

NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR: TO HAVE A CORRECT VIEW
20 August, 1998 by Maung Pyitha

Man may find life worthwhile only if he knows about the world, the dhamma
and other knowledge objectively. Man always uses his eyes.  But he should
use his intellectual power to see everything visible in his mind clearly,
correctly and objectively.  This is what my father has taught me. If all
men in this world observe correctly they will see things objectively.  As
Lord Buddha had advised all persons who are able to seek the correct
outlook and knowledge to find a good teacher (yathabhuta ana
satthapariyetabbo), I always follow my father's counsel.

Father not only taught us to have the objective view but also told us about
some interesting things of the Tatmadaw [Defense Services] as he was a
soldier.  "Although I was retired from the service, the Tatmadaw will
always be my mother as well as my father till I die."  Of all the father's
words these are the most unforgettable for me.

As father enlisted in the army in the very early stages of the Myanmar
[Burmese] Tatmadaw, he knows very well about the past events as well as the
present.  I have asked him about today's party politics and national
condition often.  Although I am not a Tatmadawman like my father, I never
forget the advantages I have gained as a son of a Tatmadawman.  I could
live in the house in the military compound and went to school by the
military school bus.  He is now over 80.  I cannot forget my father's
gratitude for supporting all social necessities of our family and always
thanks the Tatmadaw as we had lived under its shelter and assistance.

I remember my father's answer to my question.  Father, isn't that Noble
Peace Prize winner a daughter of Bogyoke [General] Aung San? Oh!  He
uttered in astonishment.  "You asked me a good question.  She is a real
daughter of Bogyoke Aung San and Daw Khin Kyi.  Every person in the nation
knows it.  It is also an internationally-known fact," he said.

"So father, she too would have lived under the shelter and assistance of
the Tatmadaw."  It is clear son her father was also a patriotic Tatmadawman
who had played a leading role in restoring the national independence.  She
is also a daughter of a Tatmadawman.  She would know that she is gaining
public attention because of her father and the Tatmadaw's dignity. "I do
not understand why she is attempting to disintegrate the Tatmadaw and the
nation?  I don't think that is a correct attitude."

"Let it be son", father said.

"I will tell you about some of the War Veterans [WV] who are participating
in the activities of National League for Democracy [NLD]. They, under the
leadership of Ko Aung Shwe [NLD chairman] and Maung Tin Oo [NLD vice
chairman] opposed the government giving 1988 disturbances as the reason.  I
don't think their participation is on political or national outlook.  Their
goal should be based on personal grudge and on winning position and
dignity.  Think of it, no party or organization other than the Tatmadaw has
defended all the political and national causes.  The Tatmadaw has solved
all the problems throughout the eras.  In this situation, if they see
things objectively and correctly they should cooperate with or organize
other War Veterans to join hands with the Tatmadaw.  Their attitude was not
like this.  It can be said that the image of the War Veterans was tarnished
by their wrong acts which should be seen as a black mark of WVs' history.
They have become more ugly by acting as followers of that lady [reference
to Aung San Suu Kyi] who is not free from alien interferences.  Although
she is a daughter of Bogyoke Aung San, she has a wrong spiritual attitude
as she has been mixed with alien blood.  I think that she should change
herself much to be able to see and assess our nation objectively.  I am
worried about her leadership ability.  I feel sorry for her minions.
Although they were good persons in the past they are now following the
wrong path.  I pray for them to regain the correct view soonest."

I thought father had not completed his conversation.  As I think, he
continued his conversation, saying that he had something more.  "I have a
special experience in my life.  Listen carefully son to retell it to
others.  Today's young persons . . ."

"Which era's young persons you mean father?"

"I mean the present government of Senior General Than Shwe and dignitaries.
 They are younger generation of Tatmadawmen who have inherited our good
traditions.  I am satisfied to see the way they are working with all-out
efforts for the nation.  It is true that their achievements during the
ten-year period has exceeded that of any government of any era.  It is very
important to achieve all-round progress in developing a nation." He
continued, "This word (all-round), which is much suitable with the current
requirements, has emerged during their era.  I feel proud of their ability
in fulfilling the public food and shelter needs, maintaining national peace
and stability, promoting the religion and developing socioeconomic
conditions successfully as scheduled.

One thing benefiting the people is that their means of governing the nation
is not like that of others.  They are sincere among their colleagues,
always give respects to those respect is due, have correct outlook, ability
to distinguish between good and bad, capable of utilizing the nation's
resources for public benefit, always act speedily, have cooperation, have
no suspicions or grudge on each other and always give priority to the
national interest.  I always pray for them to work more for the nation and
to win more love and trust of the people."

I was in my thoughts connecting the facts my father had told me. Father is
a peace lover.  There are attempts to destabilize the nation. Rumours are
spreading making the situation confused. NLD's demand to call the Hluttaw
[People's Assembly] came into my thoughts again which is a danger for the
nation.  It is truly a worrisome matter for the public.  Her actions has
become worst by attempting to travel from place to place.  The Press
Conference which was held on 30 July has shown the uneasy situation. Her
NLD is attempting to disintegrate the nation.

She is trying to corner the nation by making demands to call the Hluttaw.
She tried to destabilize the nation to belittle it at the ASEAN meeting
which was held from 24 to 29 July.  She also made instigations to cause a
peasant unrest as there was a bad harvest due to bad weather. Parents and
their children have to suffer due to her attempts to disturb the peaceful
pursuit of education.  Does she know that her attempts are so ugly and
always missing the target and only hurting the nation and the people?

If I repeat my words of goodwill concerning demands to call the Hluttaw and
convening of the National Convention, the National Convention emerged after
coordinations between elected delegates including Chairman U Aung Shwe of
NLD and officials.  The National Convention which began in 1993 was
achieving good results and the discussion were carried by TV.  The momentum
of the National Convention has changed after U Aung Shwe assigned duties to
her, U Tin Oo and U Kyi Maung.

I still remember the walkout of NLD delegates from the National Convention
on 28 November 1995 which was a tempestuous moment in Myanmar political
history.

I now state with sincerity and objective view that Hluttaw has no relations
with current incidents.  I hope that if she have a clear and objective view
on holding a dialogue with the government, the people's desires and the
government's nation-building endeavours, the entire public and the Tatmadaw
government will whole-heartedly welcome her approach to participate in
national task.

FREE BURMA COALITION FORUM: RANGOON GENERALS, FYI: THE OPPRESSED OF BURMA
ARE ALSO HUMAN BEINGS
23 August, 1998 by Chao-Tzang Yawnghwe <tzang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Extracts from "One Week in Rangoon", THE NATION (Bangkok),  21.8.98 (see
The BurmaNet News: August 21, 1998, Issue #1079)

 ......I came home with a knot in my chest that wouldn't go away. We came
home jubilant and triumphant. Heroes.

 ....I was ashamed, not for what I did,...[but] because I really didn't want
to see my captors as people,....So I can mock their ignorance and
stupidity. My captors who are part of the junta, who work a 9-to-5 job, and
go home to their families and TV sets. A small piece in a monstrous
structure which is responsible for...arbitrary arrests, tortures and deaths
of elected representatives and activists; ...the butchery and rapes of
ethnic minorities; ...the 120,000 refugees languishing on the borders of
Thailand.

 ........And so we came back as heroes. Freedom fighters. We joked about the
ridiculousness of the whole experience....[We] mocked and [condemned] the
junta.../

 ........In our roles of heroes, we are as much actors in a play -- a shadow
play -- as Richard, the judge, or the 'Flower Boy'. We play into what is
expected of us...

 ........Who then is the master puppeteer in Burma? ....

 ........Again I ask, who is responsible while people are tortured and
killed? Those who direct, those who participate, those who stand and watch,
or those who try to lead a 9-to-5 job, concentrating hard on their work so
they won't hear cries of pain, loss and death?...

 ........During those six days, I discovered humanity behind the villain's
mask which they cannot hide despite the fact that in Burma, the actors
carry guns....

--- ONG JU LYNN, ONE OF THE 18 ACTIVISTS DETAINED RECENTLY BY THE BURMESE
JUNTA

Ms. Ong Ju Lynn has written a beautiful piece, beautiful because it
recognizes the humanity of us all, whatever the "mask" people wear to show
the "self" to the world (and to themselves).

As Shakespeare once said (actually many times), the world's a stage, an
arena where each of us plays a role, partly assigned and in part chosen.

In Burma, a handful of men in military uniform chose in high arrogance to
play the role of patriotic saviors, fathers, masters, and big brothers of a
nation of 40 million people. This role was never given them.

The generals took it at gunpoint and with much bloodshed. Not only that,
they assigned to millions of their countrymen and women, the role of
severely retarded children who must, for their own good, not speak a word,
who must humbly submit to being imprisoned, tortured, killed, raped,
dispossessed of everything they own, reduced to becoming beggars and
forest-dwellers (this, in 21st century Burma).

It is not only Ong Ju Lyn and 17 of her friends, nor is it only Burmese
activists abroad, but a vast majority of the 40 million in Burma, who
question this self-assumed right of a handful of military men to do as they
please.

Ong Ju Lynn's ability to see humanity, the human soul, in those who were
her captors, expresses and represents the sentiments of those who fight for
freedom and democracy in Burma. We want democracy and freedom because
oppression and atrocities diminishes the humanity of both the perpetrators
and victims, compelling us to either dehumanize or demonize the "other".
What we want is simply this: We want to see rulers and the ruled in Burma
relate to each other as human beings, not as predators and victims.

Those who aspire to freedom and democracy are not "axe handles" of any
foreign power -- a label which the Rangoon generals attach to anyone who
question their claim to rule, or rather, the right to gross and brutal
misrule.

When we speak of freedom and democracy, what is involved, the crux of it,
is the question of whether we -- the inhabitants of Burma -- will regard
each other as fellow human beings, or as Masters and Slaves.

This is the central question, one that has nothing much to do with "Asian"
or "Western" values, or tradition, culture, and other extraneous issues
that are brought up by those who wishes to monopolize power and freedom --
freedom and rights only for themselves and those within their intimate circle.

That there is a need for change, to make Burma once again a nation of free
citizens, not a gulag populated by serfs and whip-cracking masters, is
acknowledged even by the junta. Generals Saw Maung, Than Shwe, Khin Nyunt,
Tin U, and even Military Intelligence chiefs, have all declared that they
are in favor of a democratic transition, that they do not want to hold on
to power forever.

Could it be that the generals -- the gods forbid -- do not mean what they
say, or is it that they are paralyzed by fear, or rather, by the lack of
soldiery courage to do what they know, and say, they must do?

Fear is indeed a terrible thing, as Daw Suu Kyi has pointed out so often.
But, what is there to fear when the generals already have in the daughter
of the Father of the tatmadaw, the best protector of their legitimate
interest? She is moreover a true democrat, a democrat whose heart and mind
is also ruled by Buddhist compassion.

The generals' fear of the people is also greatly misplaced. The Burmese are
civilized, compassionate and, as the generals know, humane, and not in the
least vindictive.

The generals have only to ask, and they will be forgiven. Besides, the
people know that the current crop of generals are but heirs of a terrible
system bequeathed them by General Ne Win.

It is time the generals recognize the fact that they are not golden
supra-beings that descended to earth, to rule over lesser beings. The
sooner the generals recognize their humanity and the humanity of those they
have wronged, the brighter will the future of the country they profess to
love and serve, be.