THE NATION: 980824

                                            August 23, 1998

                  Commentary

                 Thongbai Thongpao

 In honour of human
 rights warriors

 Human rights violations in Burma have turned into a legend of sorts.
 Since August 8, 1988 - a decade now - the Burmese people have
 been robbed of their democracy and have been suppressed and
 tortured.

 For ten long years, democratic countries and human rights
 organisations could only peek through the fence as the human dignity
 and the rights of their fellow human beings were blatantly violated.

 Various nations which have befriended Burma's military junta had held
 the long-standing illusion that one day the junta may change its mind,
 that one day it might switch to democratic laws and respect human
 rights, democratic principles and the voice of the Burmese people.

 But that miracle did not happen. So far, nothing has changed. Worse
 yet, Asean has welcomed Burma to the regional community.

 On August 3, I had a chance to address the issue of human rights at a
 seminar for teachers from the upper northern provinces. As chairman
 of the seminar, I told the participants that the policy of non-intervention
 in the internal affairs in other countries had made human rights
 violations flourish in some countries.

 With this policy, democratic nations have no way to help people
 whose human rights are violated.

 A clear example of this is the human rights violations in Burma, whose
 ruling junta has been at odds with National League for Democracy
 (NLD) leader Aung San Suu Kyi. Justice and human rights proponents
 can only watch through the fence and pray for her.

 Coincidentally, on August 7, a group of 18 civilians from six countries
 - six from the United States; three each from Thailand, Indonesia and
 Malaysia; two from the Philippines and one from Australia - managed
 to break down that fence and marched into Rangoon to join the events
 marking the 10th anniversary of the junta's ruling.

 They extended their compassion, fraternity and consolation to the
 Burmese people on behalf of other nations by handing out leaflets the
 size of a name card with seven lines or five sentences.

 However good their intention, while meeting with the Burmese and
 handing out the leaflets, they were arrested by Burmese soldiers and
 brought to court. Not surprisingly, all universal laws governing arrests,
 rights of the arrested, rights to fight a case according to democratic
 rule and international conventions on civil and political prisoners were
 completely ignored here.

 The 18 people were tried summarily and sentenced to five years of
 imprisonment and hard work. But pressure abroad forced the junta to
 change the ruling and expel them immediately.

 I consider them warriors of God and gallant fighters for justice, human
 rights, democracy and peace. They are truly brave and sacrificing.

 At the Bangkok airport, I welcomed them with this speech: "While
 Asean can only observe human rights violations in Burma through the
 fence, deperate to help but dare not do so, our 18 friends managed to
 tear down the fence to help our Burmese friends. Therefore, today is a
 joyful day that our 18 human rights warriors return safely."

 In my view, their heroic act should be studied and remembered for all
 human rightists and democratists - a model from which Asean should
 study and follow.

                                                       Classifieds

                                                       Jobs
                                                       Property
                                                       Entertainment
                                                       Investment
                                                       Education
                                                       Travel
                                                       Sales

                                                       Learn English

                                                       Weekly

                                                       Database
                                                       Horizons
                                                       NiteOwl
                                                       Student
                                                       Weekly
                                                       Real Time

                                                       Special

                                                       We Care
                                                       Street Art

                                                       Back Issues

                                                       Last Month
                                                       Archive

                                                       Company
                                                       Servcies
                                                       Subscriptions
                                                       Advertising

                                                       Annual Report

 © Copyright The Post Publishing Public Co., Ltd. 1998
 Last Modified: Sun, Aug 23, 1998
 For comments and letters to the editor see : notes
 Comments to: Webmaster
 Advertising enquiries to Internet Marketing