ABSDF REQUEST TO THE PEOPLE OF BURM

Media Release
August 21, 1998

     ABSDF REQUEST TO THE PEOPLE OF BURMA TO FIGHT FOR THEIR RIGHTS

1. Today is the deadline the National League for Democracy (NLD)
set for Burma's military rulers to allow parliament to be convened.
However, the military regime has refused to comply with the demand
and the ABSDF views this as an extreme insult to the people of
Burma.

2. Having been elected with an overwhelming majority in the 1990
election, the NLD has the right to convene parliament and form a
government.

3. The ABSDF believes that State power must originate from the
people. With The NLD's win in the 1990 election and repeated
resolutions at the United Nations calling on the military to
recognise the election result, the military regime must hand over
power to the NLD and allow parliament to be convened.

4. We believe that the convening of parliament is a matter that
directly involves the people of Burma. We believe that there is no
reason to continue to ask the military for democracy and that the
only way forward is through a people's movement.

5. We therefore urge the people to begin an uprising, starting
August 21, to bring democracy and human rights to Burma.

6. To show support for the NLD in their attempt to convene
parliament, the ABSDF urges:

People to begin a campaign of non-cooperation with the authorities
and for workers and civil servants to stay away from work, People
to wear yellow clothes and carry yellow coloured objects in support
of the democracy movement, Students to discontinue their exams,
Soldiers not to shoot demonstrators but instead abandon their
weapons and return home, People to protect the NLD and support
their call for parliament to be convened.

All Burma Students' Democratic Front (ABSDF)

For further information please call 01 253 9082, 01 654 4984.