Release: LA Burma Law Moves Forward

FREE BURMA COALITION
225 N. Mills Street, Madison, WI 53706 (608)827-7734, (608)263-9992
zni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, http://freeburma.org, http://wicip.org/fbc

PRESS RELEASE
Contact: Prof. Bob Benson, Loyola University School of Law (213)736-1094
Larry Dohrs, Free Burma Coalition (206)784-5742

"Free Burma" Law in City of Los Angeles Moves Forward

Councilmember Holden Pledges Strong Support for Proposed Law

Los Angeles, August 19, 1998 -- The campaign to pass a "Free Burma" law
with the City of Los Angeles took a big step forward on Tuesday when
Councilmember Nate Holden, the chair of the City's Intergovernmental
Relations Committee, which is now considering the issue, pledged his
strong support for the law.  The proposed law would prohibit business
partners of the military regime in Burma from receiving City contracts.
LA's action would set the example of a major Pacific Rim city that is
willing to take action in the face of flagrant and pervasive human rights
violations.

After hearing testimony from supporters of the Free Burma law, Mr. Holden
declared, "We are going to recommend that the city draft the toughest
ordinance that it possibly can to restrict us from doing business with all
companies that have any association with Burma and that we keep exemptions
to a minimum.....we are going to go after them," he said, referring to the
ruthless military regime in Burma, "with brute force."

Councilmember Holden instructed the City Attorney to draft an ordinance
and to return to the council within three weeks.  A representative from
Councilmember Richard Alarcon's office, the sponsor of the ordinance, was
also on hand to support the proposed law. "The human rights record of the
Burmese junta is one of the worst in the world.  The people of Los Angeles
do not want our tax dollars connected to this type of unspeakable
brutality," said Councilmember Alarcon (7th District).

Burma has been the focus of increased international attention this month as
18 foreigners, including 6 Americans, were arrested in Burma for
distributing pro-democracy leaflets to mark the 10 year anniversary of the
8/8/88 massacre of thousands of peaceful demonstrators by Burma's military
regime.   The 18 activists were sentenced to five years hard labor, before
being deported from the country.      Two of the Americans submitted a
statement in support of the Free Burma law which was read at Tuesday's
hearing. (see below)

Councilmember Wachs, the only other committee member present on Tuesday,
reaffirmed his strong support for the ordinance, arguing that since
pledging his support at the last committee meeting, he has learned only two
things, "One is that there really haven't been any negative consequences to
the jurisdictions that have passed it so that the parade of horribles that
the opponents raise are without merit and second, what I have learned is
that regime in Burma now is even more cruel and more oppressive than I had
ever imagined."

Similar Free Burma laws have been passed in 20 U.S. cities, including New
York City, which recently passed their ordinance with a 50-0 vote.    In
California, the cities of San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, Santa Monica,
Santa Cruz, and West Hollywood as well as Alameda County have all enacted
selective contracting laws for Burma.

A  100 member coalition of local community leaders and organizations has
come together to support City restrictions on contracts with companies
investing in Burma.   Supporters include a dozen labor unions and the Los
Angeles County Federation of Labor, more than twenty religious leaders and
religious organizations, and drug treatment and prevention organizations
such as the Community Coalition for Substance Abuse Prevention and Change.

#       #       #

"Mr. Chairman, I voted for this, or indicated my support for this at the
last meeting.    As you know, my view is that even though there could be
some negative consequences, the moral imperative of doing something right
and bringing about some change in the country far outweighs them.

I've only learned two things since the last meeting.   One is that there
really haven't been any negative consequences to the jurisdictions that
have passed it so that the parade of horribles that the opponents raise are
without merit and second, what I have learned is that regime in Burma now
is even more cruel and more oppressive than I had ever imagined.     So, I
obviously will continue to support it.    I think that the State
Department's recommendation for a resolution is basically lip service."

-Comments by Councilmember Joel Wachs, August 18, 1998 Meeting of the
Intergovernmental Relations Committee of the Los Angeles City Council.

"OK, here is what we are going to do.    We are going to recommend that the
city draft the toughtest ordinance that it possibly can to restrict us from
doing business with all companies that have any association with Burma and
that we keep exemptions to a minimum.....we are going to go after them with
brute force.......

Holden called for a "double-barreled" shot gun approach.

"The President and Albright are going to recognize my name and do what I
ask them to do, period."   Holden referring to his proposal to send a
resolution to the federal government asking them to take the strongest
possible stand against the regime in Burma.

Bob Benson: "The Burma Forum would ask that it not extend to competitive
bid contracts."
Holden : "Hey, hey, we'll decide what its going to extend to!"

>From Councilmember Nate Holden

August 18, 1998

The following is a statement from Ms. Sapna Chhapter and Ms. Nisha Anand
of the Free Burma Coalition to the Los Angeles City Council.  They were
unable to travel to Los Angeles as planned, due to a need to spend time
with their families and a full schedule of media interviews in Washington,
DC.  Ms. Chhapter and Ms. Anand were two of 18 individuals recently
sentenced to five years at hard labor by Burmese military authorities for
passing out messages of friendship and solidarity to the Burmese people.
International pressure secured their release.

ÒWe and our colleagues are still recovering from our ordeal in Burma, but
we all consider ourselves to be in Los Angeles today in spirit.  We first
want to thank Councilmember Holden for having the vision to again put this
critical issue on this committee's agenda.  And we want to thank
Councilman Wachs of this committee for his hearty endorsement.

The question of whether to pass a selective contracting policy for Burma
is a question of values.  Do we value democracy, freedom and
accountability?  If we do, then we MUST support Aung San Suu Kyi and the
elected democrats of Burma by passing this ordinance.

It is only a small few, including, unfortunately, Unocal, who still
support the generals of Burma through their partnership.  These are the
people who would put us in jail for five years.  For doing nothing more
than expressing friendship and sisterhood to the Burmese people whom they
violently oppress.

The fact that we and sixteen of our young colleagues were detained and
threatened with imprisonment by Burma's notorious torturers is ample
evidence that, as of August 1998, the regime is as intolerant as ever,
despite Unocal's policy of so-called "constructive engagement" with these
thugs.  Indeed, since Unocal initiated its partnership with the junta in
1993, the only thing "constructed" has been a natural gas pipeline --
constructed at the end of a gun barrel.

We and our friends were lucky.  We survived to continue our nonviolent
fight for democracy.  We are sorry to report that we cannot say the same
for U Saw Win, an elected member of parliament who was to represent the
National League for Democracy there.  The day we entered Burma, he died in
prison, after spending years under the abusive prison conditions imposed
on the Burmese people.  He was elected, just as you on the City Council
are.

Words did not end apartheid.  Actions, such as those by the city of Los
Angeles, did.  Now is the moment to separate the supporters of freedom
from the pretenders.

Please stand by Aung San Suu Kyi, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, and the
millions of Burmese who have risked life and freedom for an end to
military rule.  Pass this ordinance.  Thank you.Ó