Dr. Mya Mya Win's Press Conference,

Date ......... Aug. 17, 1998
Time ......... 4:00 p.m to 5:00 p.m
Place ........ Myanmar Embassy, Tokyo, JAPAN

                        "Bio-Data"

Name.  .......................  Dr. Mya Mya Win
Date of Birth ................  7 June, 1945
Nationality. .................. Myanmar
Religion ...................... Buddhist
Education ..................... Ph.D
Occupation .................... Private Business
Passport Revoked on ........... 16 December 1988
Passport Restored on .......... 7 July 1998
Refugee Status Granted on ..... 11 March 1992
Address. ...................... 171-23, Akazawa, Ito-shi,
                                Shizuoka-ken, Japan.
                                Tel. 0557-53-1305
                                Fax. 0557-53-3754
                                E-mail:map9@xxxxxxxxx

          Declaration (A Personal Viewpoint)
                 ( English translation )

                                                Dated 17 August 1998

I, Mya Mya Win, have not seen my daughters for over ten years, ever
since my passport was revoked in December 1988.  At the time of parting,
my elder daughter was 8 years old and my younger daughter one and a half
years.  Since then, not a single day had passed without thoughts about
them.  So, I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to the Myanmar
Government who made necessary arrangements for me to be reunited with my
two daughters at a time when I was yearning with a deep desire to see
them once again.  The fact that I, who had once been one of the leaders
of the government opposition, was nevertheless permitted to return to
Myanmar to be reunited with my daughters.
This, I believe, is sufficient proof that there has been a positive and
constructive change in the Government*s position.

The Burmese Association in Japan(BAIJ)of which, I am Chairman, was first
founded at the General Aung San-General Moe Gyo memorial column at Kan
Zanji Ward, Hamamatsu City in Shizuoka Prefecture of Japan on 11
September 1988. The Association has now been in existence for a full ten
years. Our policy then was that, to bring about development and progress
in Myanmar, there was no alternative but to pursue the policy of
confrontation with the Myanmar Government.  Thus from the time of its
founding, the Burmese Association in Japan (BAIJ) led
"confrontation campaigns and movements (non-violent)" within Japan.
Accordingly, the Burmese Association in Japan(BAIJ) organized over 50%
of Japanese Members of Parliament to sign and submit an appeal for
mediation in Myanmar affairs to the United Nations Organization.
Moreover we recruited over 100

Japanese members of parliament to form an association to campaign for
the release of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. The Association also undertook the
task of submitting to the Japanese Government, applications for refugee
status on behalf of groups of Myanmar
citizens in Japan.

However, the Burmese Association in Japan(BAIJ), now taking into account
the changing conditions in the country, has  decided that the "course of
confrontation as a solution" is no longer feasible and has therefore
halted this line of action.  The present executive committee, of which I
am chairman, has decided that beginning from the year of its tenure, the
Burmese Association in Japan(BAIJ) shall devote its activities primarily
to the security, education and social welfare of the Myanmar people in
Japan.  The Burmese Association in Japan(BAIJ)  is now carrying out only
"those activities which will directly benefit the Myanmar national races
in Japan."

To effectively work in ventures from which the country and the people
will gain direct benefits, necessarily requires the establishment of a
sound system of democracy.  It is my most fervent hope, both as a
private individual and as chairman of the Burmese Association in
Japan(BAIJ) that such a system of
democracy will soon materialize.  However, for the realization of such a
system of democracy , "PEACE" must prevail in the political, economic,
education ... sectors. The responsibility of securing such "PEACE"
devolves not only upon the present Myanmar Government, for I consider
this to be the task of each and every citizen of Myanmar, whether at
home or abroad.
Furthermore, I feel that since I desire "PEACE", then I myself have an
obligation to demonstrate this clearly.  But, if I should cling on to my
refugee status granted by the Japanese Government, I shall not be able
to show concretely how much I really wish to achieve "PEACE" with the
present Myanmar Government.  Thus my main purpose in relinquishing the

political refugee status granted by the Japanese Government * * *, is to
show, in good faith, that "PEACE" now prevails between me and the
Myanmar Government.  It is a way of showing in the best way I know how
as an ordinary citizen, that "PEACE" is of prime necessity " for the
establishment of a sound democratic system," which is the desire of the
people, myself included.

I have no party, nor personal bias.  In any choice I make, I place
"principle which will benefit the people" above that of  "an individual
personality."  I, Mya Mya Win, who is just an ordinary citizen, have no
interest in "party politics."  I am only interested in "the kind of
politics that will be of direct benefit to the country and the people."
Hence, in accordance with my professed goals, I shall do all I can to
participate and assist in "national affairs" that will have a direct
impact on the good of the country and the people * * . (For example,
obtaining sufficient medicinal drugs, fulfilling electrical power needs,
improving roads and communications, constructing
schools for orphans and primary schools, homes for the aged, hospitals
for drug rehabilitation, providing aid to the disabled, * * etc.)  These
are some of the things that I shall try to do.  But in trying to fulfill
adequately the needs for food, clothing and shelter, * * *, in carrying
out these "national tasks" that would do good for the country and the
people, I, alone, do not have the capacity to cope, and on my own I
would be hopelessly inadequate.  I would need aid and assistance from
the Myanmar government as well as from international governments and
voluntary   non-governmental organizations,(NGOs).  I also sincerely
hope that for the successful achievement of these "national tasks" that
I wish to undertake, assistance will be forthcoming from Myanmar
organizations both at home and abroad, and from the Myanmar people
themselves, who, I trust will lend whatever help they can.

The "national tasks" that I wish to undertake for the direct welfare of
the country and the people, are, I undoubtedly believe, vital tasks  for
any country and for any system at any period of time.

(Mya Mya Win)